IGNORED

Heli Colis for Valve cover bolts

psyctrance

Hi All,

After numerous valve adjustments, mostly by someone else, the valve cover bolts will likely cheese out during the next adjustment. Has anyone had experience in installing heli colis to resolve the issue?

Bike: '97 1100RT - 90K miles and still running great.

Thanks,

David

I stripped out a couple of mine and tried heli-coils but had MUCH better luck with these

More expensive but also more permanent and even I couldn't screw up the install.

Good luck

Cameron

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hi All,

After numerous valve adjustments, mostly by someone else, the valve cover bolts will likely cheese out during the next adjustment. Has anyone had experience in installing heli colis to resolve the issue?

Bike: '97 1100RT - 90K miles and still running great.

Thanks,

David

Did one for a fella at a Tech Daze last spring. Easy to do. pack the drill bit flutes with heavy grease - and then drill at a very low RPM - so that it captures all the chips when drilling. Likewise with the tap, pack w/grease before cutting threads. Also, if you're doing one of the two upper bolts on each head, cover the valvetrain with a clean rag/towel. This way you won't have loose chips all over the valvetrain when you're done.

Heli coils work well and are not difficult to install. Work slowly and follow Mitch's tips and you should be fine. When done the repair will be stronger than new.

I learned all this one day when I accidentally set my torque wrench to 18 nm instead of 8...

I have both the helicoil kit, and the timesert kit. Please let me know, and I can loan one to you. I do have a couple of tech days on KLR's coming up next weekend, and the following weekend, so I need to keep at least one of them. The KLR also uses 6mm bolts on the cam cover, and are notorious for stripping. Each kit has easier or harder characteristics. I've installed thousands of helicoils, and hundred plus time sets. I'll p.m. you my phone number.

all the best,

Mike

I did not even bother to drill out the hole, the coils are self tapping and went in with no trouble at all. You do have to be careful of the metal shavings though. IMHO the old threads act as a guide so you get the coil in straight.

I did not even bother to drill out the hole, the coils are self tapping and went in with no trouble at all. You do have to be careful of the metal shavings though. IMHO the old threads act as a guide so you get the coil in straight.

I don't recommend this. Use the tap that comes with the kit. Just my opinion. --Jerry

Are you serious? That's is certainly the first time I've ever heard that one. I've been using helicoils for about 28 years. I certainly would have been glad to know that worked before now smile.gif It's not a method I would recommend. frown.gif

I''m a machine shop owner, and former aerospace quality control manager. There's always the follow the directions thing...........if you care about how long it lasts smile.gif

all the best,

Mike

I don't recommend this. Use the tap that comes with the kit. Just my opinion. --Jerry [/quote

Sorry, I did forget I tapped it out first, with the tap that came with the coils, just did not drill it out. In fact the directions mentioned no drilling needed. Got the tap set from ACE.

I''m a machine shop owner, and former aerospace quality control manager. There's always the follow the directions thing...........if you care about how long it lasts smile.gif

all the best,

Mike

I thought about it a lot, but figured since my bike was not going to space anytime soon it would be O.K.

Hi eaglemike,

Thanks for the offer, but I can get them locally. Really appreciate everyone's help, and will let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,

David

Archived