IGNORED

R1200RT Gear & Parts

Don Hunter

Hey Guys,

BMW is offereing a 49L top box and Tank bag when you buy this bike. I know I'm going to get the 28L top box and pad instead that will run about $600. The credit is $1310 total. I was thinking about getting pants and jacket, touring style but BMW brans is pricey, right.

What are some of the other parts accessories that are a must for this bike.

Thanks

Guest Kakugo

Save the money until you see if you need an aftermarket saddle.

Most RT owners (me included) don't like the OE seat on long journeys so that may be a good thing to look out for.

Also, before looking for saddle bag bars, look cylinder bars. You can ride home with a scratched pannier but not with a leaky head cover. I advise against Touratech (actually an Hepco & Becker unit): massively overbuilt but will reduce ground clearance by a fair amount. Wunderlich and Z-Technik are much better choices.

Oh, I forgot: the Wunderlich saddle bag protectors will aslo make tyre changes more time consuming. Your choice.

Regarding the back pad on the 28L top box, consider that your passenger may already have padding there in her riding jacket. You don't need to "double pad" in my opinion, and could apply the saved $$ toward other gear.

My shorst arrs had to get the lowered suspension so most aftermarket seats are higher with the comfortable padding?

Save the money until you see if you need an aftermarket saddle.

Most RT owners (me included) don't like the OE seat on long journeys so that may be a good thing to look out for.

Also, before looking for saddle bag bars, look cylinder bars. You can ride home with a scratched pannier but not with a leaky head cover. I advise against Touratech (actually an Hepco & Becker unit): massively overbuilt but will reduce ground clearance by a fair amount. Wunderlich and Z-Technik are much better choices.

Oh, I forgot: the Wunderlich saddle bag protectors will aslo make tyre changes more time consuming. Your choice.

The $90 may be a bargain to keep the wife happy ;)

Regarding the back pad on the 28L top box, consider that your passenger may already have padding there in her riding jacket. You don't need to "double pad" in my opinion, and could apply the saved $$ toward other gear.

I think the cylinder bars are the #1 priority. I know we need to get new helmets so we can chat and listen to music.... I think you could spend $5k in stuff without blinking an eye..... lol

I need to get the proper BMW Riding gear ;)My wife still has her harley leathers and helmet, I told her you're not "sporting" that on this bike lol

Guest Kakugo
My shorst arrs had to get the lowered suspension so most aftermarket seats are higher with the comfortable padding?

Kahedo (Touratech) has three seat heights available. Heating is available as an option.

Also the Kahedo seat is exactly as high as OE (perhaps a few mm shorter), no extra padding.

Extremely satisfied with mine. :grin:

WRT 49L vs 28L, bigger is better, IMO, esp. if riding 2 up.

Get it now and save the $$ later.

Helmets before cylinder guards, but get both.

Enjoy.

Usually the will be valid only for BMW branded stuff, better check on that. And yes bigger top case is better IMHO. You won't even know it's back there.

Yes credit is for BMW only. The 49L is $980 !! We demo'd with the 49L and the wife sat on one with the smaller also. Will see tomorrow.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don

I'm jealous since yours will be the newest RT in EDH. Damn.

Anyway, to emphasize Tallmans point, the 49L case will fit two full face helmet with bluetooth boxes mounted on them...even if one is a flip up. Plus, the extra space comes in very handy for more than a day trip.

The aftermarket seats don't really add padding, they use different density foams that allow certain portions of the anatomy (tailbone) to not take the load.

I have the ilium works pegs that double as quasi case guards. I've modified mine to hang fog lights but, if you'd like to see them, drop me a PM.

As far as helmet coms go, I think there are only one or two that MIGHT work with factory system. Obviously the pricey Schuberth system that requires the Schuberth helmet and, maybe, a Cardo Scala G10 (I seem to recall someone having one work on a '11 or '12)? I know the G4 wouldn't stay linked on mine. BT systems are all a little bit different.

Oh, HD people will look ascance at you if you sport their logo-wear on a BMW. :rofl: Some of them might not if you promise to keep your feet off of the pegs at all speeds below 10mph approaching and leaving any stopped position. :thumbsup:

Don

I'm jealous since yours will be the newest RT in EDH. Damn.

Anyway, to emphasize Tallmans point, the 49L case will fit two full face helmet with bluetooth boxes mounted on them...even if one is a flip up. Plus, the extra space comes in very handy for more than a day trip.

The aftermarket seats don't really add padding, they use different density foams that allow certain portions of the anatomy (tailbone) to not take the load.

I have the ilium works pegs that double as quasi case guards. I've modified mine to hang fog lights but, if you'd like to see them, drop me a PM.

As far as helmet coms go, I think there are only one or two that MIGHT work with factory system. Obviously the pricey Schuberth system that requires the Schuberth helmet and, maybe, a Cardo Scala G10 (I seem to recall someone having one work on a '11 or '12)? I know the G4 wouldn't stay linked on mine. BT systems are all a little bit different.

Oh, HD people will look ascance at you if you sport their logo-wear on a BMW. :rofl: Some of them might not if you promise to keep your feet off of the pegs at all speeds below 10mph approaching and leaving any stopped position. :thumbsup:

That's some funny stuff lol

I was thinking about getting pants and jacket, touring style but BMW brans is pricey, right.

BMW doesn't sell cheap bikes and BMW doesn't sell cheap clothing.

What gets "pricey" in the long run is always buying cheap stuff.

I got the 49L box (painted to match), knowing full well that I would normally run with my Wolfman tailbag on the back rack most of the time. 2-up multi-day or just long solo touring, I know I'll be glad I got the big box.

As far as add-ons, I ordered the Z-Techniks when I ordered the bike; likewise, a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires (I have no use for Bridgestone tires, which are fine as long as you don't ever ride in the rain, when it's cold out, or on twisty roads).

My Wonderful Wife got me a set of Clearwater Glenda LED lights for Christmas last year (originally intended for but never installed on the Multi), and though it took some doing, they can be mounted inboard on the Z-Techniks and give you a good bit of additional conspicuity to oncoming cagers, not to mention a "clean-well-lit place" when riding on unlit backroads at night. In conjunction with the Clearwaters, I also had a Fuseblok installed with future electronic farkling in mind.

For riding gear, I sprung for Rev'It Sand 2 jacket & pants, and while not cheap, have already proven a worthwhile investment -- great venting on the jacket, and still plenty of protection. Of course, now I'm pretty much broke, and will have to spend my time riding. All for the best, really, as even during break-in, we still get pretty good gas mileage.

We went with the smaller "box" for now and some BMW apparel. Will most likely get the bigger box in the future. The cylinder guards (Wunder's) are first on the list then the rear bag bars. The brake lever extension I think is needed, I'm always feeling for more pedal?

I've always liked Bridgestones and never been a fan of the Pilots. The way the Michelin tires fall in seem to abrupt for me.

I got the 49L box (painted to match), knowing full well that I would normally run with my Wolfman tailbag on the back rack most of the time. 2-up multi-day or just long solo touring, I know I'll be glad I got the big box.

As far as add-ons, I ordered the Z-Techniks when I ordered the bike; likewise, a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires (I have no use for Bridgestone tires, which are fine as long as you don't ever ride in the rain, when it's cold out, or on twisty roads).

My Wonderful Wife got me a set of Clearwater Glenda LED lights for Christmas last year (originally intended for but never installed on the Multi), and though it took some doing, they can be mounted inboard on the Z-Techniks and give you a good bit of additional conspicuity to oncoming cagers, not to mention a "clean-well-lit placw" when riding on unlit roads at night.

For riding gear, I sprung for Rev'It Sand 2 jacket & pants, and while not cheap, have already proven a worthwhile investment -- great venting on the jacket, and still plenty of protection. Of course, now I'm pretty much broke, and will have to spend my time riding. All for the best, really, as even during break-in, we still get pretty good gas mileage.

Oh yeah, and a TouraTech tank bag. Fits like a glove (is made specifically for the bike), and IMHO, much better looking that the more expensive BMW tanker.

I was looking at the Suberneth (sp?) helmets for both of us.The intercom is another $350 for two helmets? The other Helmet choice is Nolan, correct.

??

Nolan are noisy and you don't need helmet makers bluetooth.

Schuberth stuff is Scala compatible. I don't know what Nolan is compatibles with, if anything.

Schubeths fit weird (we use them as part of set) so do a test ride before you buy. The S2 I have is extremely quiet but might be a real hazard in a crash as its neck collar with be a true pita for EMS folks to get off. The C3- you want the newer Pro if you buy one- the seams in the head liner were changed for comfort. But I repeat don't event think about buying one without a test ride.

FWIW, I think my Neotec is a better flip up than the C3 though a tiny bit noisier.

There is C3 Woman's version - one of the very rare helemts made specifically for women. SO uses one and an Arai.

Thanks for the info. I tried on the Schberth and it felt nice. I wear an Arai now and I hate how noisy it is. The wife tried on the Womens Schberth and she liked it.

The flip up will be something to get use to.

??

Nolan are noisy and you don't need helmet makers bluetooth.

Schuberth stuff is Scala compatible. I don't know what Nolan is compatibles with, if anything.

Schubeths fit weird (we use them as part of set) so do a test ride before you buy. The S2 I have is extremely quiet but might be a real hazard in a crash as its neck collar with be a true pita for EMS folks to get off. The C3- you want the newer Pro if you buy one- the seams in the head liner were changed for comfort. But I repeat don't event think about buying one without a test ride.

FWIW, I think my Neotec is a better flip up than the C3 though a tiny bit noisier.

There is C3 Woman's version - one of the very rare helemts made specifically for women. SO uses one and an Arai.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Don

On my, somewhat limited, experience any flip up will be noisier than a decent full face. There are just too many turbulators on the flip ups. Yes I think I just made that up....maybe.

On the Schuberth front, you might monitor this before you buy. cracks

is this a US only deal? i just bought my RT last week of April and wasn't offered any such deal....

May they were giving a GPS, June is a tank bax and big bos or $1310 of BMW product

Archived