IGNORED

Knocking when clutch engaged 99R1100RTP

GearedForACure

GearedForACure

I have a 99 R1100RTP with about 67k. When I engage the clutch, I hear a repetitive knocking sound.

I just bought the bike so I dont know if this is normal or if I have a problem that I need to start looking at.

It sounds like poorly adjusted valves, probably about twice per second and only when the clutch is engaged...or maybe disengaged...only when I am holding the handle to the bar, could someone clarify if that is considered engaged or disengaged?

Doesn't sound normal. Mine gives a little knocking noise when the clutch is let out when in neutral, otherwise is pretty quiet. Sounds like something you should have looked at.

Tom

ShovelStrokeEd

Handle to the bar is disengaged. The noise is not normal. It is likely the throwout bearing. There is a bearing inside the cup into which the clutch pushrod mounts and that may be at fault or it could be the input shaft support bearings. Either way, I think the transmission has to come out to effect a repair. Inspection of the components at that time will reveal the true cause.

You might try to see if the noise appears during light, or partial disengagement of the clutch. That could point to the problem.

The other component that might be going is the fingers of the Belleville spring that engages the clutch. That, also, will require removal of the transmission to repair.

You might be able to see something by removing the starter and using a lighted mirror to peer into the innards a bit looking for signs of overheating or visible damage to the components. You can see a drawing of the parts by going to the Max BMW site and looking at the R1100RT stuff there.

Here is a link

GearedForACure

As a driver of four wheeled vehicles, your comment about taking the transmission out scares me. Is this someithing that I can do with normal mechanical abilities and normal shop tools?

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, for the most part, yes. You will want a couple of tools to make things more convenient and it's not a job for the feint of heart as you pretty well have to take off the whole back of the bike. That said, some have done an in and out in a day so it isn't all that tough. A helper is nice as is someone with experience. There are a couple of writups on this sight and I would start there and get a shop manual as well.

Archived