IGNORED

Looking at a 1994 K1100RS

Bayou Red

Hello fellow riders,

My son, who is 27 and has been riding a K75 for a couple of years, has his eyes on a 1994 K1100RS. I am trying very hard to let this be his decision and am staying in the background. But......

What kind of questions should he be asking and what might he want to look at in detail? He has been doing a lot of internet research and probably knows enough to do it, but it's the father gene kicking in here.

Thanks.

Tony

Thanks Pat. Son went down today and spent a good bit of time talking, poking and learning. After a lengthy test drive he came away with the same impression - nothing really bad to say, but nothing really impressed him either.

My son is 6' 5" and his K75 is "slightly small" for his frame. The ergos on the RS were just off enough to make size an issue. That could all be worked around, but the RS just didn't stir his soul the way my 96 RT does. I guess he'll keep looking.

The ironic part is that he comments on the fact that the RT has "too much" plastic and he wants a sportier ride. Then he compares everything he rides to the RT.

szurszewski

He could just take most of the plastic off an RT - mine is like that right now as there are a few little things I want to do, but not enough time to do all of them at one go. I rode it a few hours today with no sides, belly, windshield or rear rack/rack supports. I don't know that it was any sportier, but it certainly got some odd looks and it did flow a lot more air to my legs (which was really nice).

My son is 6' 5" and his K75 is "slightly small" for his frame.

The ironic part is that he comments on the fact that the RT has "too much" plastic and he wants a sportier ride. Then he compares everything he rides to the RT.

You just described the perfect candidate for a GSA or GS! :thumbsup: Have him ride one somewhere.

Pat

At 6'5" the RS or any bike w/a slight forward cant is very comfortable for me.

I had more than a couple hundred thousand on /2/5/R100RT with the sit up and beg position before moveing to an RSL and now I find the

other seating position uncomfortable.

A '96 RSL barely fit me, a '96 RT was he&& on my shins and pretty much all upright seating bikes leave me uncomfortable these days.

Sounds more like an ergo situation than the bike.

BTW, those K RS are the best looking of the early flying bricks.

What is he gonna do with it?

Commute, tour, sporty rides?

I love the ergos on that bike but I've got a lot of miles

in that position.

Yesterday sat on the new Triumphs, Trophy/Adventure w/upright

seating and found them really off putting.

YMMV

Hi Tallman,

My son is looking for the bike that will do "everything" and do it well. A daily commute and long trips, preferably with twisties, when he has the time off.

He really likes the new GSW but it isn't the time for it just yet. He'll keep looking until the right bike comes along.

Thanks y'all for the replies.

Tony

Tony,

Love my GT.

But, for BMW's the best allarounder is the GS.

There are '04/'05 R 1150 GSA's out there w/low mileage if you look.

Best wishes.

Archived