IGNORED

Rear Brake Pads

RTJohn

I recently replaced the final drive oil on my RT. During reinstallation of the speed sensor I accidently cut the o-ring. I found this out when I came back from my test ride. Oil was dripping from the rear wheel assembly. The rear pads were covered in oil. I cleaned everything up and installed a new o-ring (after carefully measuring 180 mls of oil). The rear brakes aren't grabbing very well now. I'm wondering if the rear pads can be de-oiled better than what I probably did and what should I use?

Afternoon John

You should probably remove the pads then clean the them with brake clean. Then dry them out & re-clean with brake clean again.

Then lightly scuff the pads up with a non sand based sand paper.

Also thoroughly clean the rear brake rotor with brake clean including all the rotor holes.

Sometimes you can save oil soaked brake pads & other times the oil is embedded so deeply that it will wick out of the pad material every time the pads heats up. (about all you can do is try)

cris nitro

Agree with dr, once they get oil on them, it absorbs into the pad material and rarely comes out.

If I were you, I would try to clean them, but if they don't grab like clean pads, just replace them.

Chuck em , Clean Everything,

Start over with new pads.

I have left pads or shoes in Speedi Dry over night to draw the oil out.

Its easier to just get a new set.

Some things are not worth screwing with.

Enjoy your bike :thumbsup:

Thanks DR, I was thinking I may be able to clean them. Then again, I decided it's easier to buy a new set of brake pads from beemerboneyard. They're on their way.

Archived