IGNORED

Replacement of Front Strut (Shock) on '02 RT

Silver_Fox

I tried to do a post search for a previous thread for points on replacing the front strut on my '02 RT. Can't find any thing. Do any of you have any pointers or know of a technical thread outling the procedure? It looks pretty straight forward but others experiences always help.

Thanxx, Steve

#1 Remove body work, both sides

#2 Remove bolt holding right rear side of gas tank, watch out there is a nut buried behind bracket.

#3 Remove small bolt holding air intake to the gas tank.

#4 Lift and pull gas tank towards rear of bike to get to the nut on top of the front shock.

#5 Remove nut from top of shock.

#6 Remove bolt holding shock to front control arm and slide out shock.

Be careful because front end will droop from removing top nut from shock.

I did remove the front tire and this made it easier to get to and lightened up the front end.

Remember to have something on hand to support the front end.

I’ve got both shocks and wheels off the bike right now and got it supported fron the center stand and a couple of jack one in front and on in the rear.

Good luck, it’s really no big deal.

It is pretty straight forward. Remove the tuperware from both sides and slide the gas tank back. You'll be able to get to the top nut on the shock after doing this. The limited instructions that cam with my Ohlins were all that I needed.

1) The tupperware will have to come off and the gas tank must be moved back a couple of inches to access the top nut.

2) I have found if you unbolt the horn it makes it easier to install the new shock.

Complete instructions can be found HERE on the Ohlins website.

Thanks for the input. I had looked at my Clymer and it says to remove the tank and I didn't think that was needed. I have had it off as I relocated the fuel filter outboard.

I have the rear shock off and will "support the front end when I take the front strut off.

Thanks again all, for the advice.

Steve smile.gif

Archived