IGNORED

Top cases

ChipSoars

I recently bought a 2013 R1200RT. Looking for top case alternatives as the BMW cases, particularly the larger are pricy.

I'm new to touring, so any advice regarding cases and loading is appreciated.

Givi is the usual alternative. I built my own, from a $120 B&W attaché-style tool case that I found at Fry's Electronics:

after1.jpg

Edited+-+P1030381.JPG

The flat, low design makes it easier to load a laptop or pizza box. Some assembly required.... A Pelican case is another option, although ugly as sin.

+1 on the Givi V46. I've got the V46 in "Tech" color (slightly textured matte black with clear lens, not the usual red) The "Tech" finish doesn't show boot scuffs and scratches so much as a glossy finish and the clear lens looks sharp with my 2011 dark gray RT. The mounting plate gives a nice-looking flat surface except for the molded-in hooks that hold the case. It's a little fiddly to install (the instructions are awful) but no big deal. So I'm liking my Givi.

A Pelican case is another option, although ugly as sin.

I have a Pelican on my F650 Dakar and a Pelican/Storm on top of my Aux. tank on my R1200RT. I prefer to think of them as 579231d1359601749-calling-out-all-ruggedly-handsome-men-40-50-magnum-pi-selleck-2.jpg"ruggedly handsome". :rofl:

Lots of the usual "flea markets" will have a used BMW case for maybe as little as half price and they're still the best there is.

Firenailer

I agree, try to hunt down a used BMW Topcase if the price is an issue. They go on and off simply, are rock solid and bone dry, the inner case is great when traveling, and they key to the motorcycle.

There out there for 4 or 5 hundred, just look around.

I have a Givi 52 on my C14 and large BMW on my RT. New, the Givi, with mounting hardware, backrest pad and light kit is over half the price of the BMW box. The Givi is a good sturdy box, but you will always have to carry another key, and you cannot close it "unlocked".

When I bought my RT, I was unhappy with the $900 price on the top box, but, wife would not ride it home without it. I'm glad now as, in my opinion, the BMW box fit and finish is hands down better. The lock is much better quality, matches the bike key and you can shut the box without locking it. I would not have know the difference in the quality if I had not bought the Kawasaki and the Givi box, so that's why I offer this comparison.

bayoubengal

ChipSoars

I was in the same position as you 3 yrs ago. I nearly settled. Ended up buying a new BMW large case from a dealer online at a mild discount. Totally happy. You have a great $22K bike. You will regret going second choice. I would understand if it were truly financially unobtainable, but it in reality it just makes you cringe a bit because it is expensive. Right? You bought the bike, now buy the box and don't look back. Then email me in a year and tell me I was wrong...

Hutch:

thanks for the advice. Glad there is an active community.

Yes the price makes me cringe, but then I bought a motorcycle that cost more than a lot of cars. I just got into this late last year, started with a G650GS/09 to figure out what I really wanted to do. Needless to say I've been spending a lot of money, on top of my ASW27B habit - another fine German machine albeit from Poppenhausen.

What I don't want to do is spend money foolishly. And the dealer does give me some discount on gear.

Did you look at a Shad top case. It latches like the BMW case, where you don`t have to lock & unlock every time you open & close it.

Archived