IGNORED

2000 K1200RS clutch slippage only after sitting for days

DIYBeemerMan

DIYBeemerMan

Hello, I am looking for input as to why my 2000 K1200RS with only 37000 miles on it encounters clutch slippage within the first 15 feet when leaving my driveway after the bike sits for a couple of days with no use. After the initial 15 feet the bike runs perfect all day with no slippage or clutch issues. Do I have a leaking seal or is the clutch slave at the transmission leaking or faulty? The clutch plates seem to be fine once I get rolling. Advice would be appreciated as to how to diagnose this issue.

Hopefully Dennis Andress (Boot Slayer) will see your post soon. He should have the answer. If he does not post in the next day or two suggest you send him a personal message.

Just for kicks, describe "slippage" .

Has anyone else ridden it in those conditions and had the same/different outcome?

DIYBeemerMan

I checked my clutch fluid yesterday thru the sight glass with the bike on the center-stand and it's still dead center, on the dot, on the sight glass. I am the only one who rides it. If it sits for more than two days you can hear the clutch slip on roll off in the first 15 feet there abouts. After about 30 to 40 feet, including shifting, everthing seems normal. It only slips after it has sat for a couple of days. I suspect one or more seals is starting to fail and weeping oil onto the clutch plate. I would just like to know if this has happened to anybody else out there. I am going to drain the transmission gear oil tomorrow morning and measure the amount that comes out compared to what the service manual says it needs for quantity and see if there is any discoloration. I am reading up on how to tear it down and trying to decide if I want to tackle it.

So if you tear it down, then you will be replacing a number of things because of the labor.

I think if the only symptom is as you describe, and there is nothing to really do but do a full tear down, why not realize it is in the cards at some point but continue to ride it until things get worse.

When you take it apart you will replace the rear main seal, the O ring, clutch slave cylinder, the clutch, and then if needed transmission seals etc. So I think I might just wait.

The other thing that might could be done is to drill a small 1/8 " weep hole at the underside of the slave cylinder and at the bottom of the clutch housing. At least then you can see if there is indeed fluids being leaked into those places on regular basis and probably be able to identify the type of fluid.

Good luck with this and keep us informed about what you find.

NCS

Dennis Andress

Interesting, I've never heard of anything like that. Old fluid in the clutch actuator, it absorbs water just like brake fluid, could do it. But I don't think that would go away after only 15 feet. My Wild A-- Guess is that the clutch actuator rod is binding. Try starting bike on the center stand and shifting through a couple of gears before riding away to see if that affects the problem.

Archived