IGNORED

Thinking about trading from Hexhead

farmerp

I am thinking about trading my 05 RT for a new 13 RT. Some things I am wondering about are: How are the headlights? I currently have HIDs and love them. How will the 13 compare? Is the communication system worth the money? Because I have not missed having on board music to this point I really did not want it but I am having difficulty finding a new one without it. One of the selling points is the GPS included promotion. I am currently using a V-1 on a shelf with my old GPS. What are the best options for mounting the V-1 that would complement the factory GPS mount? Will I notice a big power difference between the two bikes? Are there any issues I should be aware of? I am not interested in starting a tire debate. Whatever tires it comes with will hopefully be used up shortly anyway. Thank you.

Just curious. New waterhead RT should be coming out in 2014. As the HEX and CAM heads are certainly different, they aren't worlds apart like the waterhead RT is going to be. Why not wait and go for the '14 watercooled boxer? Again, just curious.

Guest Kakugo

Keep your bike for the moment.

The Camhead does everything the Hexhead does a tad better, but in my opinion not enough to justify the difference in price (trade in plus cash/financing).

KL has a point: next year there will be a completely revamped RT out. My dealer told me it should be in showrooms (at least here in Europe) in March 2014 already. It will feature K1600-style gizmos, including an in-built GPS and communication system.

If the R1200GS-LC is anything to go by it will be that full step ahead as to justify the price. And it means later this year dealers may be willing to part from any leftover Camhead at more favorable conditions. ;)

Just curious. New waterhead RT should be coming out in 2014. As the HEX and CAM heads are certainly different, they aren't worlds apart like the waterhead RT is going to be. Why not wait and go for the '14 watercooled boxer? Again, just curious.

Because the ergonomics of the new bike might be worse and not as adjustable?

Thanks for making me step back and rethink this. Maybe I should have started here. Originally plan A was to put new shocks on my 05 that has 65K miles on it and do whatever else needed to keep it for two more years and then get the 2015, second year waterhead. However, sticking $2K or so into a bike worth $7ish or so was not making a lot of sense because there might be final drive and/of other possible major expenses that may or may not be on the horizon. However, it has been a great bike with no major issues to this point. Then I came up with plan B, to get the last of the camheads, be able to use my: RDL seat, tank bag, bag liners and have a bike worth more on a trade 3 or 4 years down the road. Also the new GPS is a big selling point. So now I am getting over the new bike fever a little bit and leaning back toward plan A. What to do? Help!!!

Thanks for making me step back and rethink this. Maybe I should have started here. Originally plan A was to put new shocks on my 05 that has 65K miles on it and do whatever else needed to keep it for two more years and then get the 2015, second year waterhead. However, sticking $2K or so into a bike worth $7ish or so was not making a lot of sense because there might be final drive and/of other possible major expenses that may or may not be on the horizon. However, it has been a great bike with no major issues to this point. Then I came up with plan B, to get the last of the camheads, be able to use my: RDL seat, tank bag, bag liners and have a bike worth more on a trade 3 or 4 years down the road. Also the new GPS is a big selling point. So now I am getting over the new bike fever a little bit and leaning back toward plan A. What to do? Help!!!

Find a used, low mile 2012. Except possibly for color options, it's the same bike. Use part of the cost difference to buy the new GPS of your choice, and save the rest for a wethead after a few of the inevitable bugs have been worked out.

Hard to imagine the ergonomics are going to be so far apart so as not to want one compared to what's available now. Didn't happen with the LC GS. Not to mention the plethora of aftermarket accessories that will be available to make it his own.

In all honesty, you need to decide what the desire is for a new bike. Is it for the sake of a new bike or is it to move to something more modern/up-to-date? If it's the latter, you might want to hit your local BMW dealer and ride the new, watercooled, GS. That will probably answer a lot of your questions as the new RT motor won't be all that much different than what the GS is offering. Who knows, you might just like the GS enough to consider one instead of the RT. I ride a 2011 RT and the new GS has my attention. Unexpectedly.

Hard to imagine the ergonomics are going to be so far apart so as not to want one compared to what's available now. Didn't happen with the LC GS. Not to mention the plethora of aftermarket accessories that will be available to make it his own.

In all honesty, you need to decide what the desire is for a new bike. Is it for the sake of a new bike or is it to move to something more modern/up-to-date? If it's the latter, you might want to hit your local BMW dealer and ride the new, watercooled, GS. That will probably answer a lot of your questions as the new RT motor won't be all that much different than what the GS is offering. Who knows, you might just like the GS enough to consider one instead of the RT. I ride a 2011 RT and the new GS has my attention. Unexpectedly.

Look at the video. I would say bar risers aren't possible, not without spending real money. Same thing with the GT/GTL. The seats look like torture devices too. As it is, I find the 2009 RT with bar risers and peg lowers as sporty as I would want.

Guest Kakugo

If you are so worried about a final drive failure, start shopping around for a used driveshaft and have the FD main bearing replaced. Also have a good roadside breakdown service for peace of mind.

The whole bearing replacement operation (parts, labor and taxes) cost me 240€ (about US $320 in today money), considerably cheaper than an OE Honda sprockets + chain kit. You can tell a bearing is on its way out by increased vibration on your LH footpeg, or at least that was the case on my bike.

Hi, I had an 06 RT w 57k miles and loved it, lost it to super storm Sandy, the insurance (Progressive) was great and I ended picking up a new 2012 RT. I love this too, there's not too much of a difference in the motor, a little more torque down low maybe, a little different noises from the valve train, but a GREAT motorcycle. I looked at used bikes to replace what I had but was like you and started thinking, what about a clutch? final drive? So I went with the new bike. I was surprised how much better the suspension is. The wear on the shocks happens so gradually I guess I never realized. I got the ASC, ESA (great option) radio (great option) TPM (great option) BMW is running a promo now for a free GPS. It is vastly improved from the BMW 2 I had. I would get the new RT now, like you said you probably don't want the first year new motor, a lot can happen in 2 years and you will absolutely love it. New tires, brakes, FD, clutch etc all come w the new bike and a warranty so just gas and ride. Just my 2 cents

If you get 2012 or 2013 you'll get (compared to '05)

rid of whizzy brakes

steel vs aluminum rear drive hub

reinforced fuel pump line connector

fuel gauge float vs fuel gauge strip

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

speedo and tach you can see (still not the computer screen)

ASC or a least ability to retrofit it

John in VA

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

... for about twenty-two large.

:)

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

There's a used K1600GT at the local dealer for 19K and change. It's red and it's beautiful. The wife would kill me.

John in VA

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

There's a used K1600GT at the local dealer for 19K and change. It's red and it's beautiful. The wife would kill me.

KGT red is killer.

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

KGT red is killer.

I know

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

You only live once.

rid of whizzy brakes

updated final drive

ESA II vs ESA I

You only live once.

And my wife reminds me of that all the time. :grin: Seriously though, I'd do it if I made more money. Right now I am working on contract and a bit lower than I'd like, so I have to wait. This new economy sucks.

The premise of the thread is that the original poster is thinking of trading his '05 ... he'll pay somewhat less than full retail for a new RT.

There have been some less then positive developments on my end since my original post. First, my girlfriend’s car breaks down to the tune of $750. Then my pickup, with only 160,000 miles, needed work for another $3K+. Then my septic tank developed “issues” another $1K. Now, this weekend, the clothes dryer died. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but even I am starting to take a hint. Because of this it looks like I will look for a deal on shocks for my 05 and enjoy it for several more years. Thanks for all the help and information.

updated final drive

Updated? Can I ask what they did in the way of updating. I'm still running on the '99 FD and just picked up a backup RTa ( "a" for anniversary)

updated final drive

Updated? Can I ask what they did in the way of updating. I'm still running on the '99 FD and just picked up a backup RTa ( "a" for anniversary)

The 1100 is a different bike. Different FD, different everything.

WOW, so then they've fixed all the FD problems they had with the oilhead FD's.

WOW, so then they've fixed all the FD problems they had with the oilhead FD's.

Never said that. Post hoc ergo propter hoc...

Archived