IGNORED

What works when plugged into the USB glovebox cable?

Ajaxthedog89

Ajaxthedog89

Recently purchased a 2012 R1200RT with the factory audio system installed. After much experimentation I think I have figured out how to work this thing, or at least most of the functions that I need. Pretty cool not having to look down to change volume or radio stations. However I still have some questions about the USB plug in audio source that maybe others have had experience with.

The manual says anything that is “Mass storage format”, one partition, formatted to FAT16 or FAT32 with MP3 content will be recognized when plugged in to the USB in the glovebox. So I did a few experiments and found that only a 4GB USB stick worked for me. I tried my Sansa player, an old Creative Zen player, and a portable hard drive, all of which resulted in a “NO USB” display. Ok…

So now I am thinking I will just get a 64GB USB stick and format it to FAT32 and see if that works. However, before I drop a few bucks on a potentially useless item I would like to hear if anyone has had a better idea. Solid State (SSD) drive perhaps? I have a LOT of music so I’d like to have 120GB of accessible storage if possible. That would be sweet!

Bill in Denver

Riverdawg

Well, I tried a 500g Seagate formatted NTFS and it was not recognized on my 2010. However, I've been using an 8g USB stick (FAT32)for 3 years with no problems. Holds all the stuff from cd's I own in MP3 format.

Ajaxthedog89

Yep, NTFS is a no go. Windows does not let you format to anything but exFAT and NTFS unless you open a command prompt window, in which case you can format to FAT16 or FAT32. Just do a HELP FORMAT and it shows you all the options. I'd really like to use a 120GB solid state drive and would like to know if anyone has had luck doing that or some other large capacity solution.

Ajaxthedog89
you must give the partitions names:

bmw1-9

otherwise it does not recognize it

yaron

Thanks Yaron. Reading the manual it sounds like that naming convention is used for directories as a way to get them to sort more logically. I have to laugh though, what does BMW1, BMW2, etc. mean to anyone???

One other thing I discovered today is that Windows craps out on formatting anything larger than 32GB in FAT32. That's a Microsoft limitation, they just decided that was a big enough number. Reminds me of Bill Gates saying "Nobody will ever need more that 640K of memory in a PC". Dumb! I will have to try Linux or something else to get my larger size disk to work.

chrisolson

True, a modern Windows OS will not directly format Fat 32 past 32 gig, but the Fat 32 specification supports drives up to 2 terabytes. Here is just one utility to help you do that. There are others.

Not related to playing music, and you probly already know this, but I've charged my iPhone and digital camera while riding.

Ajaxthedog89
True, a modern Windows OS will not directly format Fat 32 past 32 gig, but the Fat 32 specification supports drives up to 2 terabytes. Here is just one utility to help you do that. There are others.

You get bonus points for this answer, thanks!

Archived