IGNORED

K1300S - Intermittent No Start

Will Caskey

Will Caskey

I have a 2009 K1300S with about 11,000 miles. A few weeks ago after turning the ignition on the bike would not start. It was not a slow or sluggish start but absoulutely no response to the start switch. The computer would power up and chirp but then a completely dead start switch. I cycled the key on and off a few times and the engine started fine.

No issues again until last week. I rode the bike to work and all was fine. In the afternoon for the ride home I had the same no start condition. I tried again to cycle the switch on and off to no avail. I contacted the dealer who stated that a low battery condition could cause this. I attempted to jump start and it would not respond to the start switch connected to another battery. I left the bike overnight and returned the next morning. It started on the first push of the start switch and has been fine for the past 5 rides.

Items that I think I have eliminated:

1) The battery is in good condition and stays on a battery tender when at home.

2) The transmission was not in gear. I even attempted to start with the clutch handle pulled in, in gear and out of gear.

3) I cycled the kick stand up and down in thoughts that it might be a failing contact in that safety switch.

The local dealer (100 miles away) states that I should bring it in and let them look for a cause.

Any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has experienced a similar no start problem?

This has popped up on other forums. From what I remember it comes in two catagories. One is the key/antenna immobilizer fails. The other is the Right Hand switch module begins to fail. From your description I am thinking the switch module.

NCS

edit .. here is one such thread.

Multiple Switch Failures

Dennis Andress
This has popped up on other forums. From what I remember it comes in two catagories. One is the key/antenna immobilizer fails. The other is the Right Hand switch module begins to fail. From your description I am thinking the switch module.

NCS

edit .. here is one such thread.

Multiple Switch Failures

There was a recall on the switch modules. Didn't apply to all bikes though, only a range of VIN numbers.

Will Caskey

Thanks for the reply. I will investigate the switch module. My K1300S just has a plain key with no chip.

Will

Randy Neubauer

Your key DOES have a chip. I also have a 2009 k1300s and all 2009s were recalled for both left and right switch replacement. In some cases the early switch failures where replaced with the same part number, it wasnt until around April/May 2010 that bmw had a new part numbered swithes for the recall. Your dealer should be able to tell you if the recall was completed on your bike and at what date. As far as your battery is concerned you need to do a load test to insure it is still capable of starting the bike. Even though you keep it on a tender (as I do) it may be at the end of it's life...I just replaced mine under similar circumstances. Take your battery to Batteries Plus and have them do a load test.

Archived