IGNORED

26 mpg on r1200rt

scottcon

I am a little confused. I just checked my mpg and calculated it at 26mpg bncry.gif. I have been running the bike with passenger at about 370lbs. I have a cee baley windshield which is 4" taller and 3" wider which I usually have about 1/2 extended. I usually shift and maintain the speed of the bike at about 3700-4000 rpms. Would those of you with the benefit of an onboard computer please tell me which rpm's are the best for gas mileage. I looked in the owners manual and it does not say which rpm or speed to shift. This is my first twin cylinder motorcycle. Am I keeping the rpms's too high? I know that I can get better gas mileage than 26mpg. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Take this with a bit of salt... I too am a first time BMW owner and I try not to shift till over 6k. To me the bike comes alive at 3500-4000 rpm. That said I get about 36-39 mpg. I have gotten 52 while cruzing to Spokane (300 miles) on cruze controll at 70 mph....

26 seems WAY to low, but to me your rpms sound to low for the bike anyway.

Lets see who else chimes in... Good luck, have fun!

You are lugging the engine, can't say for sure if that is causing your low mpg but it isn't doing the engine any good with that much weight on it. Rev it! BMWs like high rpms.

If it's of any good, here's my $.02. On my 12GS with the Givi windscreen (bigger), I get 42-43 and like you, shift around 4K. Mileage only dropped, MAYBE, 1 MPG with the bigger screen. So, yes, 26 seems very low.

FWIW, I averaged 50.1 mpg, one up, light load, in seemingly hurricane winds this weekend. I had to keep the bike around 60 to 65 with a little of it over to 80 and 90 when I hit the slab and the wind died later in the day. It was the strongest cross winds and gusts I've ever ridden in. Normally, one up (I don't ride two up), in the twisties, and my "normal (fairly fast)" riding I get 45 to 46 mpg. I did notice that when I upped my tire pressure to 40 rear and 36 front from Mfg. Recommendations my mileage jumped about 10%.

26mpg is way too low IMO, even with the load. I don't think it is necessary to shift at 6K rpm everytime. Just another free opinion.

To get 26mpg on the R12RT you either need to be running 130mph or something is wrong with or on the bike (like really low tire pressure). Seriously wrong if it's really getting 26mpg after filling up or the computer is way off. Since September my RT has gotten a low of 42mpg and a high of 56mpg. This not going on what the computer says but by what goes into the tank vs. the miles ridden.

It's the windshield....mine did the same thing......I changed back to the original and the mileage went backup to 45mpg....I then bought a Sum-vee from Cee Baileys with 4 inches added to the top and everything is great. Back to high 40's...

Larry

New Math.??? Are you looking at your average MPH and not your MPG?????? 26 MPG is not possible. Could someone be steeling your gas. Maybe your tied to a Boat.?????

I was able to drop into the high 30's by running 90 uphill, 2 up, into a headwind yesterday............26 would seem to be a little difficult........as noted above - tire pressure, etc.

all the best,

Mike

I think I have the same windshield you do. I am only a little over 2000 miles so am not really broken in yet. My worst mileage was about 37 mpg whci was just tearing along two lane roads in third gear between 4k and 7k. You have a serious tuning problem and may be damaging your motor. Change the oil as there may be gas in there by now. confused.gif

Checked the tire pressure and it was very low. I need to keep a better eye on it. Maybe it was contributing to the Low mpg's. I have been suspect for a while of the gasoline at the station on our street because they have been having alot of problems with thier pumps lately. I changed gasoline stations as well. Using shell v-power and the bike smoothed out a bit. It did not seem to be running very smoothly on the previous tank of gas. We'll see about this tank. Thanks for all of your advice. I will continue to ride the same and check the mpg next time I fill up. 26mpg seems almost impossible so it had to be a fluke. Scott

26 mpg seems extremely low. But since I don't have a R12RT I am really unqualified to comment.

However, FWIW here are some things to think about regarding gas mileage in general:

1. Don't trust the on board computer. Do your own math.

2. Make sure you fill the tank completely before the test as well as after the test. Anything less than a complete fill before and after will introduce error.

3. Double check your mileage recordings. A simple transposition error on the last two digits can through off your calculations.

4. Assuming you're using a gas pump receipt for the gallons required for refill at the end of your test, not much room for error. If not, double check your recording, again transposition errors.

5. Double check your calculations.

6. Windshield could be a larger factor than you might expect. However, I doubt if it will create enough resistance to reduce mileage to 26.

7. Speed is a big factor. Probably, a bigger contributor than weight.

8. Headwinds can be a large factor.

9. A passenger can be a large factor from wind resistance if they are looking around you a lot thereby increasing frontal area. This will be compounded by higher speeds or head winds.

10. I do not believe riding terrain will be a big factor on local rides as you will probably go downhill about as much as you go up hill since you usually end up where you started. Could be a factor on something like a KC to Denver ride.

11. As mentioned above, tire pressure is a factor. However, I don't believe of the magnitude you are experiencing.

12. Any mechanical resistance like a dragging brake or rubbing tire can be a factor. I've followed some riders who tend to ride the rear brake.

13. A slipping clutch could be a contributer but I believe you would smell the clutch before it would knock off fuel economy more than 10%.

Archived