IGNORED

HOLY $&&!!?9

lawnchairboy

lawnchairboy

I just wanted to check and see how much the 12k service would be at the dealer. 600+ dollars. Read just a few of the estimated charges one of which was 28.50$ per side to take of the head covers. Are you friggin' kidding me? So, as usual, I gave them the parts business but will do the 12k myself.

Is there a published list of torque values for the common stuff (drain & filler plugs for oil/tranny/rear end)? I'm psyched I don't have to dis articulate the rear drive and swing it down to do the refill like on the RT. still 180cc in the rear end?

TIA

Chris.

Yeah, I know they gotta make a living and pay the help and rent and taxes and all that, but they don't need to retire off of one

shop visit!

For my 24k (I think it was) plus an annual including alternator belt and brake fluid bleed was over $700!

And that same dealer wanted well over $600 to replace the tires(!)

I buy the same tires online for around $350. A one time investment

for a $35 bead breaker and a ~$125 great working balancer, plus the use of a 4" side grinder with cutoff wheel and a sawall I alread)y had, and I saved the cost of the tools the first time. Now I save ~$300 every 8k to 10k miles on tires. At 2+ sets a year that adds up.

I now do my own valves, TB synchro, and all the fluid changes, like I have done for years on all my other bikes.

It's a shame that some dealers (not all - my home town SE MO dealer is comparatively VERY reasonable compared to the Vegas dealer and he's doing fine and has been in business for a lot of years) have to make potential BMW riders shrink from the brand because of ongoing ownership and dealer maintenance costs.

Chris, there is an r1200gs forum with all the specs. I have them printed in my tool bag and will send them to you in the am unless someone here does it sooner.

Chris, Go to the GS thread provided by Peter. All the values for the entire bike are listed. The 12GS site has some good info.

lawnchairboy

service completed. new plugs, rear end, tranny, oil, filter, air filter, valves checked, all within spec, TB sync. hardest problems were getting the rubber nub on the airscoop to pop out and getting the secondary spark plug covers back on... 500$ to the good and 1/2 a sunday spent wrenching.

Big difference taking the valve covers off if you have some sort of protectors installed. With protectors installed, lots of bodywork comes off first (assuming your RT). Of course the right side stuff comes off anyway if transmission fluid being replaced ... which is ridiculous at 12K miles.

Now, if you had a new Mercedes or Porsche or Audi you'd pay a similar price for this service. If you had a new BMW car you'd be waiting until 15K miles for them to do it free, but obviously you've paid for this "free" service in the purchase price.

No reason whatsoever to expect service on an expensive German motorcycle to cost any less than service on an expensive German car.

But, if you're going DIY you at least ought to have the factory service manual. There's no reason at all to assume correct information on forums.

First, he is servicing a GS. Second, the info on the 1200GS forum is 100% correct. Rather sad when bad info is posted.

Archived