IGNORED

Mobil 1 15W-50

RTJohn

Not an oil thread...honest! I remember from other oil threads that several folks remarked that they used Mobil 1 15W-50 in their bikes without any ill effects. Just wondered how many folks have that experience. Or more importantly, how many folks DID have a problem when they used the 15W-50 in their bikes?

I don't think that you will find anyone who has had an engine problem caused by the choice of oil.

Heavy oil might slow cold starts.

Synthetic might slow break in.

Follow your manual.

This looks a lot like an oil thread.

I've used it for 125 miles and no problems yet. Guess it's ok. Will no for sure once I get to 250 miles.

Started riding my 2011 on May 1st of 2011.

Used mineral oil for the first 12 k (on the advice of the local dealer service mgr who said the rings 1 break in rather slowly on these motors) and have been using Mob 1 15W50 ever since. That incl weather from as low as the low 20's to quite a few miles at or even slightly above 110, including some miles in town stop n go at those temps.

But Vegas has horribly long lites so if I get caught at one early in the sequence I'll watch the temp closely and might shut it off for a couple minutes.

ANYWAY - now have 43.5 k on it as of tonite - yes, I actually RIDE it! Been changing pretty closely at 6k, once went a dab

over 7 k recently. VERY seldom (maybe 2 x) have had to add 1/2 cup of oil to get it back to the top of the sight glass.

I just checked my valves (last dealer check at 27k and no

adjustments had been ever needed as of then) but now I have about

.003" excessive clearance on the exhausts, but that was with the engine hot. Gonna check it cold this weekend, I'll post the results.

I've probly accumulated nearly 500 k miles altogether on several cars & SUV's that all have or had nearly 200k on them and never had an engine failure or very seldom had to add between 3k changes (now go 5k), so I'm definitely sold on synthetics - major name brand - in general and Mobil 1 in particular.

For the 100 plus degrees on longer hi speed rides in summer it wouldn't hurt to go 20W50, but in more reasonable and cooler temps I'll never use anything else but Mob 1 15W50.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feedback. That does help. I'm using Mobil 1 MC oil now and it's working fine. On the next oil change I'll probably be making a change to the 15W-50.

It's probly just as important to keep watch on the temp indicator in town, in hot weather and at long stop lites. Mine normally runs just under the 2nd (or maybe it's the 3rd ?) bar when on the road no matter the air temp, but in hot weather (90 to over 100)it starts climbing pretty fast at longer stop lites so I shut it off if I know I'm going to be sitting more than maybe a minute max - I don't let it go much over that bar if any.

dirtrider
That brings up a question: exactly what is the temp gauge measuring? Oil temp? Cylinder head temp?

Afternoon Randy

COOLING oil temp, not sump oil temperature.

The temperature gauge reads on the exiting COOLING oil output BEFORE entering the oil cooler.

Your BMW has 2 oiling systems one that oils the bearings & moving parts, & a second system that pumps cooling oil to the cyl heads near the exhaust valves then on to the oil cooler to remove the picked up heat.

I used Castrol 4T 20w-50 for the first 12K miles and then switched to Mobil 1 15w-50. I have 18K+ now and ready for that service. I am using Mobil 1 20w-50 MC oil as it was on sale at O'Reilly's, but it should be the same for all intents and purposes. I will say these bikes take a long time to break in.

GS1200Man

I have used Mobil 1 15W50 in my 2005 GS 1200 from 18000to 56000 miles. At 56000 miles I switched to a combination of 2 quarts Mobil 1 15W50 and 2 Quarts Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin. I decided to mix the 20W50 V-Twin oil with the Mobil 1 15W50 due to it having more Zinc/phosphorous content. Website for Mobil 1 Oils (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf) I went 8000 miles on one oil change (62000 to 70000-NC to California road trip). I decided to send a sample to Blackstone Laboratories after that trip to have it analyzed. All specs were above acceptable range. Blackstone said to go 10000 on the next oil change and send them another sample. My bike used maybe a quart of oil every 3000 miles until about 50000 miles and then basically stopped using oil. Some boxers don not break in until a lot of miles. I would say that Mobil 1 is a good oil for the boxer engine.

I have used Mobil 1 15W50 in my 2005 GS 1200 from 18000to 56000 miles. At 56000 miles I switched to a combination of 2 quarts Mobil 1 15W50 and 2 Quarts Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin. I decided to mix the 20W50 V-Twin oil with the Mobil 1 15W50 due to it having more Zinc/phosphorous content. Website for Mobil 1 Oils (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf) I went 8000 miles on one oil change (62000 to 70000-NC to California road trip). I decided to send a sample to Blackstone Laboratories after that trip to have it analyzed. All specs were above acceptable range. Blackstone said to go 10000 on the next oil change and send them another sample. My bike used maybe a quart of oil every 3000 miles until about 50000 miles and then basically stopped using oil. Some boxers don not break in until a lot of miles. I would say that Mobil 1 is a good oil for the boxer engine.

My usage is about 3000 miles per quart with 18K on it. I was hoping it got better by now. That said, it runs fine.

BMWRich58

'07 GSA

First 18k miles used BMW Dino.

Switched to M-1 15-50 and now at 62.5K uses about 1/4 of a quart in 5000 miles (oil change interval)

Many users on different sites have sent in samples only to be told additive package still good and to extend oil change intervals.

Lots have reported bike mileages well into the 2 and 300K miles.

Also this oil is available just about in any US town with a Wally World.

Pricing seems very fair for such a premium lubricant .

I'm happy and that's all that counts..!

I appreciate all the responses. Good information. After I use up my remaining M1 MC oil I'll switch over to 15W-50. Thanks again.

Important to note that 20W50 is not a recommended viscosity for the camhead RT.

From the 2010 RT owner's manual:

Engine oil, capacity max 4.0 l, with filter change

of products recommended by BMW Motorrad and generally admissible viscosity classes

Castrol GPS SAE 10W-40, API SG / JASO MA ~-20 °C

SAE 5W-40, API SF / ACEA A2, or better ~-20 °C

SAE 5W-~50, API SF / ACEA A2, or better ~-20 °C

SAE 10W-40, API SF / ACEA A2, or better ~-10 °C

SAE 10W-~50, API SF / ACEA A2, or better ~-20 °C

SAE 15W-~40, API SF / ACEA A2, or better ~0 °C

My 2012 Rt has the same info but they are recommendations.

I use 20W-50 Castrol on my RT. My dealer told me this is what to use here in Hot Florida.

If you look at the list it also has 5w-40. That is generally used for diesel engines because a 5w-40 has more detergents to fight the soot of diesel engines. BMW recommends it as well. So I believe that using 20w-50 is not a problem. Follow the oil Temp ranges you ride and use a good quality oil. Stay away from Synthetic oils until you know for sure your engine is fully broken in.

Archived