IGNORED

LifeTime Final Drive Lube. Yeah Right

FIRST_BEEMER

FIRST_BEEMER

I serviced my final drive and found exactly what I suspected I would. eek.gif I did`nt think the V.S.S. would act as a metal collection center. thumbsup.gif

Now lets hear your opinions on LifeTime Lube. dopeslap.gif

lawnchairboy

pardon my ignorance, what exactly are we looking at in the attachment, looks like a plug from somewhere in rear drive (where) with metal shavings on it?

That's the rear ABS sensor. It's a magnet so it attracts the metal particles off the gears in the final drive. It's not un-common to find metal in one that hasn't had the fluid changed. It's too bad that BMW didn't put a magnetic plug in the drive unit. Too much of that and I would expect an ABS code to set. I’m not a believer in lifetime fluid. Any time you have gears running together your going to get metal wearing off especially during the first few thousand miles. I changed mine at 6k miles and will do it every 12k along with my trans.

If you can run your car 200,000 mi. on the factory differential lube, why not your motorcycle. The final drive on the bike is a lot less mechanically complex than the one on your car.

I wouldn't consider running a car 200,000 miles. If you do consider yourself lucky thumbsup.gif Also most autos have a magnetic drain plug to catch the metal and keep it at the bottom. The ABS sensor in the attachment is at the top. I wonder how long particles have to float around getting ground up between the gears before their lucky enough to get slung up to the sensor and get caught. I prefer to change lubricant in anything that will produce metal filings during break in withing several thousand miles. But that's just me wink.gif

FIRST_BEEMER

200K I think NOT dopeslap.gif

I have had the privilege of fixing too many Auto/Truck diff`s. Some will run longer that others but on average if you don``t service them they will have problems sooner. eek.gif

St0nkingByte

What's a good point after breakin at which to change the 'lifetime' final drive lube? After seeing the pic I'm going to do mine for sure, maybe at the first 6k service?

That`s a good time. I waited until 20K. I did the trans and oil at the first 1K So now I run it at 20K for all. And I have moved my oil changes up to 4K from 3K.

I would advise if your going to do it yourself to run it 30 miles or so then drain it while it`s warm and the fluid has not had time to settle.

Anyone know a source for magnetic plugs for the gearbox and rear drive? I'd like to pop them in before I refill.

FWIW, I just drained my gearbox (6k) and found the fill plug WAY too tight and the drain plug not much more than finger tight. So much for the dealer's 600 mile check!

Anyone know a source for magnetic plugs for the gearbox and rear drive? I'd like to pop them in before I refill.

FWIW, I just drained my gearbox (6k) and found the fill plug WAY too tight and the drain plug not much more than finger tight. So much for the dealer's 600 mile check!

Which is why I do ALL my own work.

I'll wait on the trans and FD and do them at 36K. Seems like a good compromise, and no worries about warranty claim issues that way.

Jim cool.gif

Mine had quite a bit of metal at 6k. I wouldn't worry about warranty as there really wouldn't be any way for the dealer to tell that it had been changed. Plus if it's going to fail you'll want it to be before 36k miles grin.gif

First ride today after changing the gear lube w/synthetic.

OMG.....I couldn't believe the difference. I ran a local road to the office instead of the interstate and every shift was smoother than it ever has been.

Final drive is next....just on principle.

Mine had quite a bit of metal at 6k. I wouldn't worry about warranty as there really wouldn't be any way for the dealer to tell that it had been changed. Plus if it's going to fail you'll want it to be before 36k miles grin.gif

I guess it depends on what you put in it. The dealer surely will know if your lube is a different color than the stock lube.

I'm pretty confident the lube will be fine for 36K. Auto rear ends go that long and more before changing the fluids, some with the trans.

Jim cool.gif

Unless your putting in some redline or something with an exotic color they all look the same after a few miles. I'm not trying to convince you but I don't want other folks who prefer to change theirs being scared off thumbsup.gif

You got my curiosity up, so yesterday I pulled mine. FWIW it was clean as a whistle. Whew!

Great way to monitor the health of your FD though!

Archived