IGNORED

Still learning about my new '04 RT. Do I have clutch issues?

Pier

Hello everyone,

Last week I posted a note asking to member asking I made a mistake to buy an RT for my type or riding. Thank you again to everyone for very useful responses. I decided, as most of you suggested, to spend some time with the bike before making any decision to sell it.

Thanks to the fairly good weather I had the chance to go for few short rides and I'm learning more about the bike on each ride, as to be expected.

What I realized today is that the clutch seems to be making clanging noises when shifting, especially when downshifting or shifting at higher speed. I'm comparing the clanging shifting sound with the ones of other bikes. It seems to be much louther than any other bikes I have ridden. Should I be concerned or is this another virtue of the RT ( or of a twin engine )? I read and heard from RT owners during the past few years that some RT have transmission problems, so I wonder whether the clanging noise can be an early simptoms of a potential problem at a later stage.

TIA for any response.

Pier

If the clunk is coming from the transmission, it's probably normal. These things make much more noise than other bikes.

Took me a while to get used to it, and the shaft drive howls under deceleration. Your bike is under warranty, right? Ride the wheels off it and don't worry.

pete

I have never heard of a "clanging noise" signaling clutch problems. In fact, I have never heard of a "clanging noise" associated with RTs period. Strange.

You know the clutch is going when you goose the throttle and hear the engine wind but the bike doesn't accelerate accordingly. For most people, that's after a lot of miles, well over 50K in most cases. Clutch abusers (you know who you are) may have different results. As is the case with all bikes, there is the occasional early and inexplicable clutch failure -- I had one at 8K on a Virago 1100! grin.gif

Pete,

It actually sounds as if it comes from the transmission area more than the clutch itself. I also beleieve it is hard for any "only" RT or twin rider to pay much attention to it unless one has other bikes to compare it with. It may sound normal to most people.

Yes I do have 23 more months of warranty left and at the moment I'm not too worry at all. I'm just question this because it is an all new type of bike for me and I'm trying to learn what is normal about it and what is not.

I also hear some clanging noises on my other bikes too but not this loud. I purposely lifted the visor today to listen to it more carefully and I thought it to be questionable in my experience. Next time I go to the dealer I have a mecchanic to ride the bike for me and at the same time I'll also ride another RT to compare.

Thank you,

Pier

Many new Beemer riders complain about the gears grinding, but not "clanging". For those used to the silky smooth shifting of a Japanese bike, the Beemer sounds like the tranny's ready to drop off the bike, or that the clutch is gone.

The common response is two-fold: TADT (they all do that), and "preload during shifting". "Preload" means putting a bit of pressure on the shifter prior to pulling in the clutch. Do that and gear should drop right into place with a minimum of "clanging", "clacking", "whacking", "grinding", or whatever else it's called.

I won't go into the "why" of it, as there are countless threads going into why BMW makes it's trannies the way it does.

Try preloading while shifting, and see if works for you.

Before my splines gave out I had to do this, no right after the clutch disc was replaced and the input shaft replaced (and I am sure lots of lube was put in) I no longer have to do this. It just flicks into gear (sans for 1st which is always lame)

Sounds pretty much normal, I've got 2300 miles on mine and have noticed the transmission is quite clunky. But as far as wear & tear goes I imagine it's not quite broken in with the gears and all. I figure somewhere between 10k and 20k it should start to smooth out. I've got a k75s with 65k on it, it didn't smooth out until about 25k

wink.gif

I think your best solution is better ear plugs! wink.gif

Seriously though, can you get a hold of another RT to compare all the strange noises you are hearing? I suspect, but without comparing there is no way for you to know for sure, that - TADT.

HI PIER

Persevere with the bike and try to feel your way into gear,

pretty soon you will be asking yourself what all of the fuss was about , when you have mastered the gear changing and it does take a while you will appreciate what a pleasure it is to ride an rt.

stayupright

derek thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Before my splines gave out I had to do this, no right after the clutch disc was replaced and the input shaft replaced (and I am sure lots of lube was put in) I no longer have to do this. It just flicks into gear (sans for 1st which is always lame)

You're trying to provoke me, right? You're one of those guys who likes to make the average guy worry during sleepless nights. You're one of those guys who wants to spread the misery around as far and wide as...well.. as a spline failure!

Um.. ok .. you've succeeded. bncry.gif

Today is spline lube day.

Pete,

It actually sounds as if it comes from the transmission area more than the clutch itself. I also beleieve it is hard for any "only" RT or twin rider to pay much attention to it unless one has other bikes to compare it with. It may sound normal to most people.Pier

Pier - They all do that.

What you need to do is wait until Spring. The first warm and sunny day, ride the bike to a sidewalk cafe and park it where you can see ut from your table. Order a cappucino and admire the beautiful lines of the bike, then wait for people sitting around you to start commenting on how beautiful the bike is and how lucky you are to be out riding on such a beautiful day. That ought to remove and reservations you have about the bike.

Bob, what you say may be very true. That being said, can you help me to decide which one of these beauty I should get rid of, ...with the exception of the odler K-100 because I need it for commuting? I have the feeling I will get similar comments on the other bikes as well if i was to sit outside a Cafe` in the Spring. I do like the RT, but I also like the KRS and the Valkyrie, and they all great in their own characteristics, but the problem is that I need to let go of one. The valk has everyhting, from Radio to CB radio, speakers and inputs for MP3s, Intercom, highway pegs, fog lights, and much more as you can see. I will have to restart dressing up the RT as well if I get rid of the Valk.

How did I get into this mess? confused.gif

Thanks, Pier

http://community.webshots.com/album/446190833wZMcms

Archived