IGNORED

Lowered Rt 1200 suspension?

trout man

I am finally getting close in terms getting all the funds to pick up an RT 1200 either brand new or a low miles RT. The low miles RT comes with the lowered suspension and the lowest seat made by BMW. What do forum members think of that super low seat? It looks like it would not have enough padding.

How does the lowered suspension model handle as compared to the standard RT 1200. The used Rt 1200 is a 2012. Would worry that the lowered suspension would reduce my abiltiy to lean the bike in corners.

Is being able to flatfoot a bike all that important. My last bike an ST 1100 had a higher seat than the standard RT seat and not being able flat foot did not seem to be that big a deal.

Thanks Bob

I have a 2011 RT with a standard suspension and Russell seat. I also have a 30' inseam and can't flat foot the bike at a stop. Not an issue for me.

I have a friend who has a 2011 low suspension, low seat model. I really don't like the low seat, I can't move around and overall the riding position just seems weird to me. Guess I'm just used to a standard RT I've not pushed his bike very hard in the corners so I cant really speak to the effect on cornering clearance.

I ride with a guy who has done long days on the low suspension seat without complaint. Cornering clearance is not significantly affected by the bike's lower suspension.

If you're used to not having the ability to flat-foot it, I'd say go with the regular suspension. If you ever think of selling it, the potential market is much larger.

My bike is the factory lowered model but with Wilbers of the same length and a regular height Sargents seat in the high position. That combo gives me the most comfort and leg room between seat and pegs and gets the balls of my feet firmly on the ground.

Lean angle will not be an issue, unless they call you The Doctor....

Bill

I have a 30 inch inseam and just about flat foot my RT with regular suspension and BMW low seat. I decided against low suspension simply because I didn't want to lose ESA, which is a great feature of the bike, just about mandatory for two up and/or a lot of gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 2012 R1200RT with the lowered suspension and the extra-low (one-piece) seat, ... and I specifically didn't want ESA - just something else that'll break that I'll never make use of. Yes, that seat is not the most comfortable seat around! I am 5'5" with a 29-30" inseam. I am also 68 years old and not as strong as I once was. My 2000 R1100RT with the seat in the lowest setting was fine for many years. Then I started noticing (my wife did also, as we often rode two-up) more and more "0 mph" crashes, as the bike would start going over and I no longer had the strength to keep it upright. The new bike with the low seat low suspension, also somewhat lighter, has allowed me to keep riding for a while longer. Unfortunately, the passenger seat is still at the standard height, so my wife gets a lot more wind now, making it less pleasant for her.

I haven't noticed any problems with the lower suspension. You might if you're a real aggressive rider.

I have noticed that the new RT, doesn't handle quite as nicely as my R1100RT did. The old one seemed to just easily "fall" into a corner or curve without any effort. The newer one I seem to have to muscle into a turn more. I don't think the low suspension has anything to do with it, because the demo bike with the stock seat seemed to be the same way. YMMV.

Hate the seat, love the bike, have a factory lowered R1200RT '09 with the 1 piece seat. Seems to corner better than my '96 R1100RT. My inseam is under 29" and with thick soles and heel lifts, I can almost flat foot. On my husband's R1200RT with a low Sargent seat in the low position I'm on tiptoes, or one foot. Not comfortable enough for me. We both seem to corner the same, there is no noticeable difference between the 2 bikes in cornering. Neither of us wanted ESA so the bikes are equipped identical. We're going to do a ride in at BMS in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to loose seat padding near my thighs to reduce the seat width and have a more butt shaped bucket carved out.

I've got a 2012 Low and I really haven't noticed any difference in handling or limitations between this model and and older Standard I had or my 04 K1200GT.

The seat is actually pretty comfortable (for me) with an Alaska leather seat pad added for temperature control more than anything else. They're nice in the summer when it starts getting hot on those longer days. I also think the shape of it is a little easier on "the boys" , everything feels so much better after a day in the saddle.

I did try a comfort seat the other day at the Dealer and I might give that a try this year. I've got a 29.75 inseam and I'm kind of in the middle of a standard and low bikes. That comfort seat puts the seat height at 30.25 on a low bike which would be fine, it's also scooped a bit wider which might be nice, I might not be flat foot, but I'm not on tiptoes either.

The real problem for me is that due to my driveway configuration and slope I have to backpedal the bike into the garage. It's narrow with retaining walls on both sides so I need to be able to get my feet down solidly to push it the 50 feet into its parking space.

• 2 weeks later...

20K miles on my low RT since January of last year. I'm 5'4" with a 28" inseam. The low suspension bike works well for me but the low seat was a torture device. Horrible, just horrible. Got a Russell Day-Long and haven't had a bit of discomfort since. This includes numerous Iron Butt Association rides including a Bun Burner Gold and a 50CC.

The Russell DID cause me to 'tip toe' more than I would like, more do to its shape than its height but it is a small price to pay for the comfort. I figure over the life of the bike I'm spending over 99% of my time with my feet on the pegs, not on the ground so thats where I'll focus my efforts.

With regards to handling, the lowered bike will scrape before the standard but not so much to put me off of it. In fact, I put a Suburban Machinery footpeg lowerering kit on so that the seated ergos would be 'perfect' for me (also did bar-backs). I almost immediately lopped off one of the peg feelers. No biggie.

Update on the BMS ride in. I've bonded with my seat finally. They couldn't lower it quite enough for full flat footing, but the comfort is now great. The sides in front were thinned extremely as was the nose foam, the tractor seat shaped insert was trimmed to my specs, it's night and day for the difference between the BMW factory low seat and a custom Bill Mayer Saddle. And the new cover looks much better than the stretchy vinyl cover on the factory seat.

Bought the lowered version here in the UK last November, it was the only way to get a decent amount of foot on the ground with my(shorter than average) leg length. Not had any problems with clearance so far.

The seat was OK, but with some long tours around Europe coming up I had it re covered and a gel pad fitted.

Steve P

65eef964-795b-4683-a4f8-8ab5545f33bf_zps0d042635.jpg

cf2adc81-310e-411e-b421-d86cd0135173_zpse7e9b54a.jpg

7194e4d9-6b1b-47f6-b109-28dfa971dd9a_zps46b57ce3.jpg

f29cb643-c578-4416-814d-93dcd7fb6871_zps5d3914f1.jpg

SteveRTParker

Hi Steve, quick question - where did you get the footrest protection from, the stick on ones protecting the frame.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I got them on ebay.

Unfortunately they are not on there at the moment. These are the only ones

frame protectors

Hi Steve, quick question - where did you get the footrest protection from, the stick on ones protecting the frame.

Thanks

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Don Hunter

Hi Guys,

I've been wanting a BMW Touring bike for quite some time. I work weekends and my wife wasn'nt really onboard with doing trips with me until now. So I went to my dealer and we sat on a lowered suspension R1200RT and being 5'6 and 29 inseam I'm almost flat footed by myself. With my wife on board I'm flat footed. I'm about 180, she's 140 so how much will I lose not having the ESA? If I was riding solo most the time I could deal with being on the balls of my feet, but those akward angels with a passenger could get you in trouble not having enough leverage to keep her up. I know you tall guys are saying wth?? lol ;)

Next Wednesday we're doing a Demo

Don Hunter
Adding 1/2" to boot soles should help.

Did you sit on and adjust ESA settings?

I've never been a fan of too many "gadgets" and in this case the ESA. Been reading some stuff on it and looked at the specs with the lowered suspension vs the ESA with extra low seat. It's 29.5 vs 30.1 so not much difference. I need to try both I guess but with 80% of the riding being 2 up will the ESA be as benificial?

Well hell.... I don't think my dealer has a "lowered seat" just the lowered suspension bike??

Thanks for the insight

Archived