IGNORED

Changing lower plug without total tupperware removal

macx

For various reasons, didn't want to do a TB sync at this time and had recently done the trans oil and air filter (couldn't find my anti sieze when I had the right side fully opened for the air filter & trans) but felt I needed plugs as they had 15k on them and the performance was showing signs of degrading - sluggish on throttle tip in and balky on starting cold on occasion.

When I got them out I saw the flat spots on the side of the center electrode and the increased gap that others have mentioned, altho they were nice and clean at least. Was time to change as the coils were likely under added stress and sure don't need to go buying new coils!

ANYWAY - about the tupperware.

Tackled the right side first, didn't remove or loosen the upper front small panel, just the lower screws on the larger side panel and the one at the top rear under the seat. I made it, but the two rear screws on that little shield on the back side of the throttle body were real close to impossible to get out and back in.

So not wanting to go thru that battle again, I removed the few (4?) screws that holds that smaller upper front side panel on, didn't unhook any of the radio wires, just gently lowered the panel and let it hang. No problems there. That allowed lots more movement of that larger side panel without taking out any more of the screws than I did on the right side.

I was able easily to pull the part around the cylinder out and to the rear enough to hook it on the shifter. See the picture. That opened it up enough to fairly easily access those 2 rear shield screws on the back of the throttle body. Altogether, only about a dozen screws per side, and none difficult to get at like those 2 screws that hold the compartment cover on on the right side.

With this 66 year old not moving all that fast and just using a 1/4 drive ratchet and a couple extensions here and there,the first lower plug change on the left side took only about 1/2 hour, so no big deal.

I think that same amount of removal would also allow access to the trans fill plug.

Like a breath of fresh air! Crisp and immediate throttle response, noticeably smoother running at idle and low speed, and pulls away from a stop smoother and easier. Seems like it has more get up and go on the road too when I open it up. And 1 or maybe 2 better mpg the way it looks.

I'm going to try (again) to get that picture posted here.

Here goes. Well, for whatever reason the link to that file goes to some other picture I don't have a clue where it came from or who/what it is, so here's a PhotoBucket link to it

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww200/macx351/IMG_0293_zps3e87216c.jpg

What's with this link business anyway?

the title of the photo shows correctly but it sure

seems to have been hijacked or something

6172.jpg.c6f0edbfda1c79fdd64c193b101562b6.jpg

Archived