IGNORED

Best place to order shims?

Randy_L

I'm 2.5 hours over a mountain pass to my nearest BMW dealer: where's the best place to order camhead shims/spheres online?

Afternoon Randy

Yakima eh? I've was there in the early 1960's & you can definitely see farther than you can walk in a day. Is the tank gunnery range still there?

2.5 hours & a mountain pass sounds like a great ride. Just toss your snow chains in your panniers & head out.

On your question: you can probably just call your dealer & have them put those little spheres in an envelope & send them out to you.

Or call any of the other BMW dealers that sell on-line or by phone & they will send them out. Like San Jose BMW)

Not like there is going to be any big $ saved on picking a source- not that expensive a part. You just need your measurement and about any of them will do- whoever you like for service and shipping.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

No affiliation, not even the closest to me but, by far I've gotten the best service from them for parts.

cycle specialties

Here's the story. Ordered a FD crown bearing shim online. A young lady (age assumption) called me and said that as she was packing the shim (don't recall, maybe two), she measured them and together they didn't stay within the total tolerance that one would expect. She asked what height I was looking for, found two that worked to within a fraction of a mil or so and sent them to me.

She did not have to do that but, did.

+1 on maybe waiting for 6k miles. I was going to do exactly what you did and thought about it for awhile. There really isn't much wear at 600 compared to the life of the engine. You might get some asperities (thousandths of a thousandth) to knock down on either side of the sets of running systems but, not wear. You could, maybe, possibly end up in a bit of a tail chase with new shims and parts wearing slightly ahead of them.

good luck either way!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived