IGNORED

Sena SR10

chrisolson

Been looking at Bluetooth devices for a long time but one of the biggest issues holding me back was integrating everything … Zumo, phone, bike-to-bike radio (GMRS/FRS) and radar. Its been on the market for awhile, but I just discovered the Sena SR10 and it does exactly what I’d been looking for. Well almost, but we'll talk about that in a bit.

So I took the plunge and purchased it and the SMH10R headset thinking that if both units were from the same manufacturer, they might play nice with each other. And they do. :Cool:

SR10.jpgheadset_detail.jpg

I went with the SMH10R headset due to its low profile. It’s a bit more fiddly that the regular SMH10, has an external battery, no jog dial ... but, works for me. For everyone else, any of the Sena headsets should work the same with the SR10.

Please note that the following is based on live, powered up bench testing. The actual on-bike installation will be in a couple of weeks.

The SR10 comes with 3 available inputs, one of which is dedicated to portable 2 way radios as shown in the picture. The cable is extra and you need to order specifically for your radio. Sena covers most of the major GMRS/FRS brands but also some HT units like Yaesu.

The other two jacks next to it will accept any 3.5mm input such as radar or maybe audio from an earlier non Bluetooth GPS. There is also a port for the included wired push to talk button on the side of the unit. The large button looking thing in the center is also a push to talk. Another nice feature is the unit can be direct wired from a switched 12v source.

Paring it with the headset was a no brainer. The SR10 hooks up with the headset every time without fail. I have an old Kenwood TK3101 and it works perfectly with the wired push to talk. Both incoming and outgoing radio traffic mute the music from the Zumo. The radar appears to function normally as well.

I have an old Zumo 550, so the Bluetooth is mono only. MP3/XM is very bad via that method. Fortunately the Zumo does allow a Bluetooth phone connection while routing everything else to a normal stereo out 3.5mm plug. So, here's where the "almost perfect" comes into the picture. Audio from the SR10 is mono only based on multipoint paring protocol. It would have been perfect to wire from the Zumo to the SR10, but Sena decided to only inlcude a single transmitter probably for cost reasons and to reduce switching complexity.

Solution? I purchased a Bluetooth stereo transmitter and plugged it into the Zumo. Works perfectly. That and the Zumo bluetooth connection for phone pairs with headset every time automatically.

I’ve diagrammed my final configuration below. The phone pairs to the Zumo because the Zumo has a lot of visual, phone friendly features. My configuration is just one way that various devices can be arranged and connected. The Sena units seem well built and have a lot of features … that I probably will never use.

Until proven otherwise, I’m a happy camper. Phone dials in and out through Zumo, MP3 / XM / turn by turn directions in stereo, GMRS radio and radar all working together through headset. No more wires.

senaSR10_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a Sena product, just a generic stereo bluetooth transmitter. This is the one I purchased, (link), but there are others. I've also tried pairing the phone and the headset without the Zumo and the phone plays stereo music just fine also.

• 1 month later...
RichEdwards

Just ordered the Sena SMH10 for my new HJC Symax 3 helmet. I'll have it up and running later this week and report the results here. I'll be pairing it with my Zumo 660 and my iPhone 5.

Very nice review!

Two things . . . .

It's been a few weeks, do you still prefer the SMH10R over the SMH10? I'm about to purchace one or the other . . .

Have a pic showing installation of the SR10? Based on diagram, it looks like it belongs on the handlebars somewhere.

chrisolson

The buttons on the R remain fiddly even after using it for a while. But I ride solo and outside of turning it on/off and occasionally adjusting the volume I don't mess with it. Which is pretty much how I figured it when I was deciding between it and the regular unit. For me, the small profile was the most important feature. The separate battery has not been an issue at all.

However, I'd think if you are constantly changing settings, using BT intercom, etc. ( and don't mind a giant blob on the side of your helmet :Cool: ) the standard jog dial unit might be a better choice.

There is one other issue with the R model. Currently there is no ear bud option ... its coming in August. So for now, helmet speakers only. That might be a deal breaker for some folks. But, I knew this going in and although I prefer in-ear speakers, foam ear plugs with helmet speakers are working just fine for now and there is plenty of volume. I'll convert back when the option becomes available.

You can mount the SR10 mostly anywhere. If you have a 2-way radio, the push to talk button has a cable extender included in the package if needed. The real limitation is the length of the cord going to the 2-way. The cord is proprietary to Sena and currently there are no extenders.

I've recently upgraded to a 660 with stereo audio capability so the separate stereo BT transmitter is gone.

• 5 months later...

Interesting post. I have just got a 1200RT with Audio and would like to have a Sena headunit.

I want to have Radio, Zumo, Phone, two way radio all into the headset. do you think the set up below would work?

sbbo.jpg

From a design standpoint, don't see why not. I'm not familiar with the RT radio connections so I assume it has the appropriate in/out connections.

The only issue I had with the setup was the battery life on the BT Dongle. That was the reason rationalization for moving up to the 660 :Cool:. Possibly you can find a dongle on your side of the pond that has a longer life or can be bike powered.

Good to hear. I will be getting and setting everything up over the next couple of months. The bluetooth dongle is just USB powered and powers on automatically.

Archived