IGNORED

Lower Drivers Foot Pegs

RSH

Hello All,

I have just purchased a 2012 R1200 RT and need a drivers footpeg lowering kit.

A quick Google search revealed Suburban Machinery & Wunderlich sell them. S-B suggests having your Dealership adjust the right side foot brake linkage to allow it to fit. Unfortunately this is not an option in Calgary, AB. The Dealership can barely perform a PDI or change a tire, let alone a custom mod.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which is easier to install, or any other comments? I can do most basic mechanical work.

Thank you.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Did the suburban machinery lowering kit. I honestly can't recall if I lowered the pedal(s) but, I know for a fact I didn't have the dealer do it. I am starting to recall that I didn't do the shifter and just adjusted to its height. Still don't know about the brake.

Knee pain, minor, was gone immediately BTW.

Hello All,

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which is easier to install, or any other comments? I can do most basic mechanical work.

Thank you.

I got the Suburban kit and it looks like OEM. I have no idea why the Wunderlich setup is so much more expensive.

On your 2012 you can start by adjusting the tip of the shifter pedal using the tiny Torx bolt underneath. If that isn't enough, remove the left footpeg bracket and there is a turnbuckle-type adjustment underneath.

There is a similar threaded rod and nut adjustment on the right for the brake pedal. It's not tough to figure out.

One suggestion is to put the bike on the centre stand and measure the height of the footpegs from the ground. Measure the height of the shifter and brake pedal as well and calculate how much lower they are than the pegs. That height relationship is what you want to replicate when the lower pegs are installed.

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to go for the Suburbans, $170 vs $255 for the Wunderlich.

Great forum & I am sure more questions will come up.

BTW - 6' 1" & 34" Inseam. I feel a little cramped with my knees a bit too high.

Hope that might help someone else.

Thank you to ALL!

JerryElliott

I have installed the Suburban peg lowering blocks on two bikes. They look OEM and they work well. One thing to consider is that they also move your fooit not only lower but also closer to the shifter. In my case this exacerbated the need to "pigion toe" in order to get my boot under the lever and also rendered some of my boots unusable. I remedied the situation with the Touratech shift lever extension. No more "pigeon toe" and comfort with all of boots. Fewer missed shifts also.

Many never have the problems I describe but if you do I wanted you to know that there is a reasonably inexpensive solution. The Touratech extension is adjustable for a wide range of boot sizes and is $65ish. Or Suburban will be happy to sell you an extended shift lever for $250ish.

I did not bother with the brake lever adjustment yet but I will. The lower pegs now require me to lift my foot to access the rear brake. Not a big deal but it is not a natural movement either. Fortunately, with the linked brakes at the lever, I rarely "need" the rear only. That will change when I start riding the hills this summer so I intend to do that adjustment as well.

As always, YMMV with all of this stuff.

Thanks, I was just looking at the TouraTech extension.

They do not ship to Canada and I am not willing to pay Suburban's outlandish price.

So I'll have to find a dealer up here for T-T.

Again thanks, I was just wondering exactly about what you suggested.

I did purchase the Suburban's lowering blocks, $240 shipped to Canada.

Archived