IGNORED

gearbox oil capacity

Dave_in_TX

My Haynes manual for the 06-09 R1200 says .8-.9 liters for the transmission. My Haynes manual for the 2010 and later twins says 700cc. Is my new manual wrong or did BMW change the capacity for the 2010 and later bikes?

It should say in the owners manual that came with the bike.

But I never fill it above the fill opening in the side of the transmission case. This should work for your bike also, unless you had someone custom modify the case and drill a hole in the top for easier filling, then just add 800-900 ml of oil.

It should say in the owners manual that came with the bike.

But I never fill it above the fill opening in the side of the transmission case. This should work for your bike also, unless you had someone custom modify the case and drill a hole in the top for easier filling, then just add 800-900 ml of oil.

I haven't found that kind of information in an owner's manual in years and the RT is no exception. Filling it up to the level of the fill hole only guarantees that it won't be under-filled, it might still be possible to overfill.

Set the bike on a level surface and you should be fine. The capacity changes based on how empty the case is, drained hot or cold. Drained long or short time. That is why BMW says to refill the case it is 800 ml and a virgin fill, like after a rebuilt or manufacturing is 900 ml.

I add 800 ml, then slowly top of till it is level with the treads. But my friend only uses 700 ml, because he claims the company's always spec more then really needed. Don't know.

I would call a dealer you trust and get his tech to tell you. My former dealer would gladly share this info. Or you can buy the service DVD for your model and year of bike.

The service manual for 2010+ just says to fill to the bottom of the thread opening. Don't remember the amount, just whatever it takes. This is on the center stand.

Mark

The service manual for 2010+ just says to fill to the bottom of the thread opening. Don't remember the amount, just whatever it takes. This is on the center stand.

Mark

Finally somebody has actually confirmed that the bottom of the fill hole is proper level (as opposed to an amount that would be below that). 700 milliliters does not bring it up to the fill hole, so I'm assuming that the new Haynes manual is incorrect.

Mark

Finally somebody has actually confirmed that the bottom of the fill hole is proper level (as opposed to an amount that would be below that). 700 milliliters does not bring it up to the fill hole, so I'm assuming that the new Haynes manual is incorrect.

Well that ain't nothing new. They have been wrong before. They also recommend to lube the cables, even though BMW voids the warranty, if you lube them. Use a factory manual for proper fill levels and torque values.

Mark

Well that ain't nothing new. They have been wrong before. They also recommend to lube the cables, even though BMW voids the warranty, if you lube them. Use a factory manual for proper fill levels and torque values.

Which is why I was trying to get clarification about it. If the dealer were open today, I would have called them but I was in the middle of doing a 24k service.

I have been keeping my transmission oil level at the bottom of the treats of the fill hole on my 2007 R1200RT for the last 124000 miles with no problems. I would recommend you fill it carefully to the bottom of the treads and bottom it up.

You can then always verify next week the exact amount for your year and model of bike, and then reduce the amount, if needed.

I believe there is no difference in the transmissions between 05-13 RT's and that would mean there is no reason for a different oil level.

The same as Bernie. I've filled my 12GS's to the top of the fill hole for over 225k miles.

Does anybody seriously try to fill beyond the fill hole and then rush to shove the plug back in? Does anybody think it's a requirement to lay your bike on its side so you can do this?

It's nice to know how much oil to buy, but otherwise this is a nonissue.

The current final drives can be an exception to the "fill until it comes out the fill hole" convention, as were ancient Airhead driveshafts. It was also easier and safer to go by quantity on '81-on Airhead final drives, as you'd strip the "check" hole in short order if you used it.

There haven't been any exceptions to convention for BMW transmissions and you'd have to take extraordinary steps to overfill one.

I have seen two capacity amounts listed.

900ml and 700ml.

The service manual says to fill it until it reaches the bottom of the fill hole plug. So whether it is 900 or 700 ml just fill it to the bottom of the fill hole of the Gear box fill plug.

Archived