IGNORED

Gearbox oil cloudy

tcausey

Hi. I recall seeing some commentary on this but cannot seem to find anything searching today so apologies for rehashing.

I changed my 2002 R1150RT oil today, including the gearbox oil and the FD oil and I noticed something that I don't recall before in the gearbox oil. I have been using Amsoil 140 or 90 the last few years in the gearbox and I don't recall which was in it (likely 140), but unlike the final drive oil which was still clear, the gearbox oil was a bit cloudy. The color was still pretty close to the original light amber.

I don't recall this before.

Other facts:

Last changed 1 year ago (less than 10k of mileage on it this year)

No noticeable riding/shifting differences

thank you.

Troy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Heavily aerated, overfill, oil will be cloudy as well. Not sure how you do that in a gearbox though.

Was the oil hot (i.e., had you ridden for at least 30 minutes), or cold? If cold, I like upflying's hypothesis, and if there are no significant shiny bits visible, I wouldn't worry.

OR, if you are feeling paranoid, you could send a sample off to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

Thanks. And Hi Selden. I'm still grateful for you help a few years ago. Since then I have rebuilt a 1978 R80/7.

On the oil, it was not hot. I ran it just a tiny bit (i know i know) which I've never done before. I usually drain it hot. Condensation possible as it sat more this year than ever before through the cold winter where it might go 3 weeks before being ridden at times.

I'm not paranoid so I think I will make notes and see what happens when I change it next.

thank you.

That means it is gonna be an early summer, but a storm is coming... :D

A small amount of water can look cloudy which may just be a little condensation because of not getting it fully warm.

If it was milky looking like coffee with cream that is usually a bad sign of water, like it got water in it during a stream crossing, bad rain, or REALLY bad wash job. If it were water cooled I would say head gasket leak...

If it just looked foamy cloudy that is usually over filled and the slapping of the gears lathers it up.

Someone asked I don't know how you would do that, easy, by the bike not being verticle while filling it. Or, pumping the oil in with a pump that fits snugly in the fill plug and then pulling the pump nozzle out and stuffing the plug in quickly before the oil levels down.

I doubt it is anything serious. If you are really worried, I would refill with fresh oil, take a nice ride, and drain that oil and see what it looks like. The gallon of oil would be cheap peace of mind for you.

Aren't the bearings in the gearbox the sealed type with permanent grease? When they start to leak their grease I thought it will turn the gear lube a cloudy darker color.

I'm not paranoid so I think I will make notes and see what happens when I change it next.

Oil is cheap, repairs are expensive. Change it again after 6000 miles and see what it looks like. Just to keep things simple, I have decided to switch to a 10,000 mile interval on all lubricants. Synthetic engine oil should easily be fine for that distance, and the trans and FD require only a little more than a liter.

Thanks. I change all fluids every year in March which is normally 10k miles but as few as 6k this year. I do change the engine oil and filter at about 5k or 6k during the year as well. If my gearbox oil was even slightly darker than the FD or even a new bottle, I might have more concern, but I can easily change it again in a few months to see what it looks like.

ptc

Archived