IGNORED

Custom Stereo for R1200RT

imeyers

I have the 05 R1200RT and did not get the stereo option. It seems to me that a custom car stereo shop should be able to install a system on a bike if they can do it in a car. I am sure for the $1500+ that BMW gets they could install a system that would sound 10X better and have any kind of hook-up for mp3, phone, etc. I was wondering if anyone has looked into this. A large amp might be a problem for the battery but that is the only problem I can forsee. Any comments would be appreciated.

It depends on your budget - and it you want to hear music over speakers, or just use headphones.

The BMW speakers for the RT are integrated into a mounting unit - and not just plug-in OEM replacements.

If headphones only then there are a multitude of options - including GPS units with built-in MP3 (Lowrance) and/or builtin XM radio (incl the current Garmin 376C with weather and XM, or the NEW Garmin 2630 deluze update to the 2610/2620 to start ship end of this month with XM weather and XM radio added, with aux input....or run with the smaller portable XM units which are now less than $130..

If you want speakers, then at this moment limited to securing the BMW with custom/integrated mounts.

Good luck !

you didnt miss anything with the BMW stereo. The CD skips and I cant get many radio stations on mine. I use my satellite radio and CD instead. Im sure an audio dealer could install something. I had a CD installed on my gold wing that was not factory. I like to keep it simple and use my satelite radio or walkman and a good set of earbud speakers, because i use ear plugs for wind noise anyway. U can wire an autocom intercom system in as well.

OK, so here I go. I just purchased an '06' 1200RT and ordered it with the pre-wired radio kit. I heard of the BMW issue radio problems and chose not to play. I also purchased an Alpine 9820XM head unit and an Autocom unit. The Alpine unit fits in the stock position (glove box) just fine, but you can't reach the preset buttons at the bottom of the unit as they are covered by the glove box top edge. The initial idea was good but the end result is not up to my standards. The Autocom headphones are not the quality I was looking for and I have turned up the VOX bias all the way to prevent the mic from picking up wind noise and interrupting the music to no avail. I wish to pull out the Autocom unit. I intend to install some very nice Sony headphones in my Schuberth helmet and am looking for a 12 volt headphone preamp to interface with the Alpine head unit. Does anyone know of such a unit? If not, I will disconnect the mic from the Autocom and use it as a very expensive headphone preamp. The Alpine unit works great though, and you can interface an ipod (which I have done) through the AUX jack with an adaptor (Alpine KCA-121B) and an ipod-to-RCA "Y" cable. This Alpine unit also has an XM radio receiver built into the head unit. In regards to the stock spearers that come in the pre-wired BMW kit, you can connect those to the rear speaker outputs on the Alpine unit and the Autocom (or headphone preamp) to the front speaker output and you have the option to turn either set on or off individually by adjusting the front-to-rear fade all the way in one direction or the other. Also, does anyone know how to get the foam side panels out of a Schuberth helmet (to make room for the headphones, then re-insert)?

Hi there. Let me explain what I just recently went through, and see if it helps. I also did not opt for the BMW stereo. Instead, I mounted a Sirius Sportster Replay satellite unit. I used to listen to it directly with headphones, and was tired of all the wires flying around. I had the autocom unit installed for TWO reasons. One, I wanted to be able to hear the music in my helmet, and I wanted to be able to communicate with other riders in the future. I was able to turn down the VOX enough that outside noise does not turn on my mike. I did notice, however, that the speakers in my helmet were too weak to compensate for the loud helmet (Schuberth C2), and the low audio output of the Sirius unit. So, I had two choices. First, I purchased an autocom accessory which ads a piece to the wire that connects to your helmet. It allows you to by-pass the speakers in your helmet, and to use ear bud headset. This was a good compromise, because I wanted to leave the autocom system in tact. Secondly, my dealer is working on a tiny amp that would boost the signal from low output audio devices like my Sirius receiver. He has mentioned that this is a common problem. I thought you may want to look into that little piece that allows for ear buds instead of getting rid of the autocom all together. Good luck.

This is all well and good but I am talking about a custom shop doing a custom install. I have seen those guys do some incredible work. This is just a crazy idea but what if they could install a radio in the glove box, custom mount a remote control unit where the stock radio switches would go, mount two real speakers (as big as would fit) behind the stock grills, mount a small amp somewhere, and have a decent stereo to listen to without headphones. One loud enough and clear enough to listen to without headphones. I may be dreaming but I can't see any reason it can't be done. I am going to go to my car stereo installer and talk to him about it. I am not talking about 12 speakers with a sub-woofer and 4 amps, just a decent sounding 2 speaker set-up.

First, I have high dollar ER-6 ear buds from Riderwarehouse, and they do not have the fidelity I am looking for. Particularly in the low frequency end. I believe the Sony headphones should be the best choice so far. I too have a Schuberth C2 and I bought it bacause the cycle mag said it was one of the most quiet?!? For the gentleman that wants a professional install, yes it can certaihnly be done. Mine was. The Alpine unit is top drawer and delivers 18 watts per channel (4 channels). If you need more, the amp can be done, but you will need to investigate to find a small, quality amp, unless you choose to mount it in a saddle bag or top trunk. As for speakers, the Infinity component Kappa speakers probably in the 5 1/4 inch with the separate 1 inch tweeter would fit. You could also wire them such that each speaker 2 x (one 5 1/4 and one 1 in.) had 18 watts available. You can adjust the balance using the front to rear fade. The nicer Alpine units also have crossover control in the head unit. The Infinity's come with a separate crossover box. I have larger Infinity Kappa's in my Tundra and my wifes SUV with Alpine head units and separate amps for the component speakers and the subwoofer, and the systems are top drawer. I can highly recommend both the Alpine head units and amps, and the Infinity Kappa series speakers.

Oh, one more thing. I am researching the possiblilty of mounting the IR remote control for the Alpine unit on the left fairing side panel, just above the power port. The unit would be attached to the fairing and protected from the weather inside a pliable plastic case. The IR input would be transmitted to the head unit by optic fiber run inside the fairing. At first blush, it seems possible, but I do need to do some further research. More later.

Has anyone tried this amp from Aerostich/Riders Wearhouse? I want to be able to have an mp3 player and Sirius and switch between the speakers and earplug speakers cordless if possible.

So with all this talk, should someone go with the radio or not, I like FM around town, is the radio that bad??? My LT radio is really good. I remember my 1100lt, now that was a bad radio, but the 1200lt is great. Where does this radio fall?????

I had to make the same choice before I picked out my new RT...after reading as much as I could on this and other boards I decieded to pass on the RT radio.

So I guess my short answer is 'it sucks'...based on what I could read.

Jim

I could not decide whether or not to order the radio, so, I opted for the radio prep kit. I have since bit the bullet and installed the factory radio. I did so because I was unable to come up with as clean an installation with exterior controls and the readout in the BC. XM and Sirius are still options, but for now I am content with the factory setup and my Garmin 2720 amplified through the aux mode thanks to Rob Syme. I do think that the factory radio is overpriced, but,...

Archived