IGNORED

Horn for 1200GS

JohnH

I'm about to install a louder horn on my 1200GS. I've fabricated a mounting bracket to mount the horn in the stock location. Does anyone know of a source for an electrical socket that will mate to the plug for the stock horn on the wiring harness? I'd like to install the horn without having to cut the existing plug off.

As Bob did I just cut the end off.

Be aware though that the CAN-BUS is a bit touchy about current drain in the horn circuit. When I installed a Stebel air horn I relayed it and then found it would toot, but not continue if the button was held down. The CAN-BUS was shutting it down. I experimented with several different size resistors across the relay until I found one that created the current level needed to fool the CAN-BUS controller into allowing the horn to continue. Seems like I ended up with 30 ohms or something like that.

St0nkingByte

Is the horn on the 1200GS the same horn that is on the 1200RT because I'll admit the horn on the 1200RT is so loud it scared the crap outta me the couple times I hit it accidentally. The 1200RT horn sounds like a big car, the one on my Suzuki sounds like those little cars at the circus that 20 clowns come out of.

...the one on my Suzuki sounds like those little cars at the circus that 20 clowns come out of.

That would be the horn on the GS. Sounds kind of like an electrocuted sparrow.

Is the horn on the 1200GS the same horn that is on the 1200RT
I wish! The factory horn the 12GS is one of those little "beep-beep" things. Embarrassing actually.

I put on a pair of Hella horns that are REALLY loud. I have found, over time, that if I press and hold down the button for a long time, the CANBUS will sense "too much" power draw and shut off the circuit. Eventually (maybe over the winter), I will throw a relay into the circuit to eliminate this problem. Until then, I will continue what I have been doing so far, which is to beep the horn in short fast blasts, which seems to get people's attention better than a single sustained blast anyway...

Does anyone have any information on my original question, the availability of plugs mating to the BMW wiring harness?
Apparently not. wink.gif

But then you possibly haven't been hanging around here long enough to actually expect us to stay on subject! grin.gif

Tell you what, PM me with your address and I'll drop the connector off of my old horn in the mail to you. I think I've got it still in a box somewhere.

Archived