IGNORED

Lube shaft and/or trans splines?

macx

I went thru that rather involved process on my R1150R and it sure would be nice to hear that the design and materials have improved on the camhead bikes.

I'm working away from home a long ways and only have basic service tools with me - not anywhere close to what I'd need to do that, not to mention my home built but very functional bike lift which I built after the first struggle putting all that stuff back together. Sure did make that job sooo much easier the 2nd time around!!

Seems some time ago I read that it isn't a critical or frequent issue with the camheads, but with 41k on my 2010 I don't want to just run it till it comes apart if lubing any of those splines is highly adviseable.

It'll be next year before I'm done with this job and back home

(and RETIRED!!! YooHOOO!)and shudder to think what the Vegas dealer would charge to do that after paying over $700 for the combined 24k and annual service to keep the warranty valid.

I can expect to put on another 20k before the end of this year which would put it at around 60k miles.

Thanks for the CB info on that issue!!

Morning macx

Very few trans spline failures on the hexhead/camhead. I have heard of a couple on the hexhead & so far none on the camhead. The ones on the hexheads that I know of were at high miles (well above your 41k).

There is no BMW service interval on lubricating the splines so there in no requirement there.

If you are really worried about yours then maybe go in through the removed starter hole & give the clutch disk a rotational movement to see if your disk has excess rotational movement on the splines, or better yet remove the trans front housing top cover (a lot of work) & access the top half of the disk for both a visual & access to measure rotational play.

For what it's worth, personally I don't plan on lubricating the splines on my hexheads & I know of no fellow riders that plan on doing theirs. Same with riders I know with the camhead.

$700 for the combined 24k and annual service to keep the warranty valid.

Invalid assumption. Warranty is valid if you do the work and keep records.

I've never been asked who did the work when needing something done under wty. It has never been mentioned since it would be against the law to deny.

Archived