IGNORED

Throttle Cable replacement - How long

jbh

I purchased a used 1999 RT1100 about a year ago. The bike has been serviced by the dealer for its entire life so all scheduled maintenance has been done. The 30K service was done before I purchased it and now I need to do the 36K. I want to do it myself since I have the ability and the time.

Does everyone change the throttle cable every 18K as specified? ooo.gif Mine was changed at 18K. Also anything else people stretch the intervals on?

This is my first time posting but I have been lurking for about a year now. Great board with lots of info.

If I were you I would do it once for two reasons. First, so you know how to do it, and second so you can use your old cables as spares. Then I would change them every 40-50k miles.

Joe Frickin' Friday
If I were you I would do it once for two reasons. First, so you know how to do it, and second so you can use your old cables as spares. Then I would change them every 40-50k miles.

I don't keep the old ones as spares. If I have to replace a cable by the side of the road, I don't want to have to replace it again (with new) when I get home.

I keep a set of new throttle cables coiled under my seat.

What Jim said. In addition, There was a throttle cable design change at some point in the '99 model year.

Early cables had a metal cap at the distribution box end of the cable housing. Later cables eliminated the metal cap. It is my belief that the metal cap caused the high failure rate of throttle cables experienced at that time.

There have been very few (if any) complaints of broken throttle cables involving the newer type cables.

I just replaced mine for the first time on my '02 RT at 69,166 miles. No sign of any wear on the cables or the junction box. I reused the junction box and replaced all three cables.

Stan

So, has anyone actually had a cable fail yet? grin.gif

Even though ther's a grin in your question, I'll take it seriously...

There were a rash of early main throttle cable failures as the '97-'99 bikes got up to 18-36K miles. The cables nearly always broke about an inch from the end in the junction box.

Based on the BMW cable design change, eliminating the metal cap at the end of the cable housing, the theory goes something like this:

If the cable was properly adjusted, the cable could last a long time.

If the cable had too much slack, or for any other reason the cable deflected to where it rubbed against the edge of the metal cap, then the cable's life was limited.

These cable breakages were more popular than spline failures a few years ago, but now don't seem to happen at all.

It appears to me that the elimination of the housing end cap eliminated the breakage problem.

I am personally on a 24K mile replacement schedule. May be excessive with the new cables but I'd rather replace early than fix on the road.

Dewayne Harkov

I changed the throttle cables on my 98 RT at about 30k and they were fine when I sold it at 114k. The throttle cable on the 99 RT I just bought in April with 15k on it just broke at 32k on the Fwy. Luckily the traffic was light and I was able to move from the fast lane to the shoulder than off a nearby exit.I was able to ride the 6 miles home on backroads using only the choke, (fast idle lever), running numerous stop signs. :>) I am changing them as we speak. There was an update that corrected a problem with the cable being too short for the necessary travel and would eventually brek, or so I was told. I hadn't heard the metal cap version but also sounds possible. I will see where mine broke after I yank it. Yours probably has the upgraded cables but it wouldn't hurt to change them for piece of mind. Good Luck.

russell_bynum
So, has anyone actually had a cable fail yet? grin.gif

YES. 28K on my 2000 RT and the main cable failed in the middle of Death Valley.

I limped back to Furnace Creek using the fast idle lever as a throttle, Fernando loaned me his spare, then Denny and I changed it in the dark in the parking lot.

PhillyFlash broke his cable in the middle of a trip and wound up stuck at a dealership for a LONG time because they didn't have the cable in stock, then they ordered the wrong one.

Lester V broke his at Gunnison at Un1 and we replaced it in a Texaco parking lot...and got to meet Malcolm Smith in the process. grin.gif

I helped Gleno change his throttle cable during a service at 24K and it was literally hanging on by 2 strands.

Tom Roe's frayed and almost broke in the middle of the Great Lakes Challenge. It wound up jamming with the throttle open to about an 85mph cruise, so he finished the rally turning the bike on and off as necessary.

This is hardly an imagined problem, but BMW does seem to have fixed it with the new cable design. (Of course, they never released a service bulliten saying that there was a problem and we should switch to the new cables. Heaven forbid BMW admit they made a mistake.)

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Is the new design cable the only one sold now? I was wondering if when the dealer replaced the cable in 2002 if he used the new one. I will find out for sure when I break it down for the service.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. Is the new design cable the only one sold now? I was wondering if when the dealer replaced the cable in 2002 if he used the new one. I will find out for sure when I break it down for the service.

The new design cable "should" be the only only one sold now. If your cables have already been replaced once, it is likely that you already have the newer type. But,of course, the only way to know for sure is to dig in to the bike. Once you are in that far, you might as well change the cables. You've already done 90% of the work.

what's the part number and is more work than a tb sync needed to get the motor back in tune. does the tank need to be completly off or just lifted?

Dewayne Harkov

What Sage Rider said. My throttle cable was broken about 2 inches from the end in the junction box. frown.gifIt has the metal cap on the end of the cable. I'm ready for Mexico this weekend. clap.gif I love BMWNA with their head in the sand approach.

Archived