IGNORED

RT fuel filter life and changing

macx

I've got 41k on my 11 RT and have started to worry about the fuel filter. I don't remember for sure if it was changed by the dealer at the i.e. 24k major servicing, or at the "annual" servicing (done same time).

I rode an 04 R1150R for a couple years before I got my RT and did the external fuel filter mod which gave me great peace of mind, especially after sad experience finding just what a PITA changing that in-tank filter was even at home, in daylight, with all my tools. Wouldn't have had a chance at night alone on a lonely road! After the mod, I could change it with a flat

blade screwdriver in 5 minutes.

So, what's the story on fuel filters for these camhead RT's?

Appreciate any educated advice, and esp if there's something to be done to avoid a problem on the road.

Guest Kakugo

If your bike hasn't got a proper fuel filter but a strainer, and it's a quite expensive bit ($45 or so). BMW doesn't list it as a "service" item and personally I've never heard of anyone changing it. It seems to last much longer than the FPC and, in some cases, the fuel pump itself. :rofl:

AFAIK, the fuel filter on the R1200RT is not a service item. My 07 still had the original filter on it when I traded it in with 140k miles on it. I haven't heard of anyone replacing a fuel filter on the R1200 bikes.

I was hoping something like that was the case - I, too, hadn't found a fuel filter as a service item and can't even imagine

having to get inside that tank on any kind of a regular basis!

Thanks - takes care of one worry while on the road.

Modern vehicles with a returnless fuel system often have 'lifetime' filters that do not require a change. Earlier fuel systems used a pressure regulator that returned fuel to the tank to control pressure, which tended to flow a lot of fuel thorough the system whether it was used or not. Returnless systems control pressure at the pump and as a result flow less fuel and I guess the theory is that these systems can get by without frequent fuel filter replacements.

Morning Seth

The BMW camhead does use a fuel pressure regulator & fuel return hose (same as the hexhead did). The FPC does lower the pump output when not needed but the system still has a return line & remote pressure regulator.

Note I said modern vehicles. :grin:

Silly me just assumed that BMW would not eliminate a replaceable fuel filter unless they made appropriate engineering changes.

Afternoon Seth

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference either way. Even with a non return system ALL the fuel that goes through to the injectors goes though the filtration so even if it doesn't go through the filter a few times first ALL the fuel eventually passes though the filter so if any dirt in the fuel it should end up in the filter.

Personally, I never replace a fuel filter on any road vehicle at any given time frame as I occasionally run a top speed fuel flow test & if it passes that (runs out to top speed) then the filter is not plugged or restricted.

Even a new filter will quickly plug if a load of dirty fuel is put in the tank so having a new filter in the system doesn't mean much. If clean fuel is put in the tank then the filter will basically last for about ever.

I really can't remember last time I have put a new fuel filter into any car, truck, or motorcycle I have owned.

I do put new fuel filters in my diesel tractors every few years as I have no way of running those out under full power & they sit a lot so algae in the fuel system is always a possibility.

If clean fuel is put in the tank then the filter will basically last for about ever.

Well we never really know how the clean fuel we buy is. It should be clean, and no doubt usually is, but I think it's a given that over time contaminants will get in the tank one way or the other. In any event it has not been my experience that a fuel filter lasts about forever. Usually a long time, perhaps a good deal longer than manufacturer recommendations for replacement, but I definitely think that proactive replacement at some interval is good practice.

Clip---- but I definitely think that proactive replacement at some interval is good practice.

Evening Seth

As you say, probably not a bad idea but BMW seems to see it differently as they have no replacement interval (or even a replacement filter available) for the hexhead or camhead RT.

Strange thing is they did include a replacement fuel filter on the 1200ST, & 1200R (go figure).

Archived