IGNORED

Alternator belt and air filter life

macx

I've got 41k on my 2011 R1200RT and the belt was just changed once during a major (and godawfully expensive!) dealer servicing while still under warranty, I think it was the 24k plus annual servicing.

I see BMW recommends changing that belt every 12k (!!)

Now that the warranty is long gone, I do ALL of my own service and maintenance work and have started to wonder how long I realistically dare trust that belt. It's got 15k on it now.

I drive an 80 mile round trip to work 5 & 6 days a week, and in summer like to take long weekend trips, and sure don't need a broken belt up high in the Sierra's or in the southern CA desert!

Are there still any decent discount BMW parts sources (guess it's time for another plug change and maybe air filter - lots of dust in southern NV / CA desert), or any good trustworthy aftermarket belts available?

Thanks!!

Originally, the recommended alternator belt replacement was at 36k miles. Later BMW changed that to 24k. I wasn't aware that they've reduced the interval again. On my 07, I stayed with the 36k interval since the belt always still looked in great shape at those intervals.

I don't know about discount places for belts but sparkplugs.com has a much better price on plugs than BMW.

Guest Kakugo

I'd need to ask my dealer but last October alternator belt replacement was still every 40000km.

As per aftermarket parts, Beemer Boneyard carries Contitech belts which are as good as the original. They also have spark plugs (so far no alternative to this) . Air filter: no idea where you can find it in the US but look up Mahle: correct code for the Camhead part is LX984/5 (is LX984/2 for the Hexhead).

Thanks for the info -

On that 12k for the belt, I believe I saw that in the Handbook

if I remember right. I do remember I was somewhat shocked and

took a pretty close look to make sure I was reading it right.

I would think a good quality belt should last longer than 12k

without significant fear of failure - they don't run multiple

things and go thru multiple direction changes like on a car.

On the plugs, Beemer Boneyard has them for $60 for a set of 4,

and I found a place online called proracestore.com that sells

them at $12.50 each.

I read another post on this forum that says the "exotic metal"

replacement for the apparently fast wearing stock plug is the

Denso 1XU24 with irridium tips. Probly a gold plated price

but if they'd last longer than the rather short life of the

stockers it might be worth it. Haven't searched them out yet

to see the cost.

to see the cost.

Morning Macx

I don't have my plug cross reference handy here on the road but I believe the IXU24 crosses to the older DCPR8EKC & those are for the 1200 Hexhead not the Camhead that uses the MAR8B-JDS.

My BMW service schedule lists belt replacement at 30,000 milesfor a 2010+ Camhead. I can try to email you the schedule if you like.

to see the cost.

Morning Macx

I don't have my plug cross reference handy here on the road but I believe the IXU24 crosses to the older DCPR8EKC & those are for the 1200 Hexhead not the Camhead that uses the MAR8B-JDS.

I have no experience with the IXU24 but like the MAR8B-JDS, it is a 10mm thread with a 19mm reach and it's actually cheaper than the MAR8B-JDS.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=11217

A google search turned up the following on the BMWMOA site:

"The plug I am running in my 2010 RT i

a NGK "CR9EKPA" stock #7785 the caveat is it only comes with 4mm threads on the coil end of the plug i just purchased 4 mm spark plug terminal nuts and they work fine. I changed out my original stock plugs @ 11k they were in rough shape, I have just under 13K on the new set and they look good. they are platinum tipped and they are no cheaper than the stock plugs but you can get them at napa."

IIRC, the CR9EKPA is one heat range colder than the stock plug. Using the cross reference at sparkplugs.com, the hotter CR8EKPA cross references to the Denso IU24A. The CR8EKPA cross references to the IU27A.

I've changed a few belts on R1200s of various types and can't imagine any reason for a 12K interval. Most I've removed have been at least 3 years old and with at least 25K miles and some have been twice that old. All looked about the same- a bit less elasticity than a new belt but with no cracks or any signs of significant wear.

They all looked so good that I wouldn't even worry about carrying the old one as a spare as long as you change at the factory hexhead 40K km(24K miles) interval...

What about the recommended time interval for changing the belt? For my '05 RT it's six years. The belt is still 6k from the recommended 24k change and looks new but is eight years old. Swap it out or don't bother?

Is the belt free from splits or cracks? If so, carry a new spare and run the old one another 6k. If it worries you swap the new one in.

What about the recommended time interval for changing the belt? For my '05 RT it's six years. The belt is still 6k from the recommended 24k change and looks new but is eight years old. Swap it out or don't bother?

Afternoon CVA-42

As of yet I haven't seen a hexhead elastomer belt break even on some fairly high mileage bikes.

What I have seen is some belt slippage on high mileage older hexhead bikes (mainly GS hexheads).

The slippage is more pronounced after a water crossing or when riding in very heavy rainfall.

The elastomer belts seem to stretch a bit with age & usage so lose some of their grip on the pulley's.

The belt isn't that expensive & is fairly easy to put on with a little piece of plastic so probably no reason to push the issue with an old one.

I your case it is more of an aging issue than a mileage issue.

Thanks for all the input - I must have been dreaming - or hallucinating - when I thought I had read about the 12k interval.

I've got 41k on the bike now, I'm fairly sure it was changed at the 24k major service interval - done at about 27k - (I kept the warranty up by shelling out a horrendous amount of $ for the 24k & annual service combined).

I've ordered plugs, belt, and air filter (I've been doing most of my riding thru the Mojave Desert South of Vegas, lots of dust in the air).

Also going to change the trans, the FD had fresh oil at about 34k when the dealer had to replace the inner FD seal.

I've got the manual, just didn't have it in my hands when I posted this. I'll have to dig it out and take a look. I've got a removable soft bag mounted on the luggage rack that I can collapse when not hauling something so I can swing my leg over it which I couldn't do with a hard trunk. Takes just a couple minutes to remove to get the seats off.

thanks again! makes me less uncomfortable on some of the long trips I take on weekends.

"I've got 41k on the bike now, I'm fairly sure it was changed at the 24k major service interval - done at about 27k - (I kept the warranty up by shelling out a horrendous amount of $ for the 24k & annual service combined)."

It is not necessary to have work done at dealership to keep in warranty.

That's a whole 'nother thread.

But, if you have issues it can help when dealing with the mothership.

OK, I give up! :-)

I apparently either misread or misremembered.

(Not another senior moment!! Horrors!)

But it sounds much better that the belts seem

to last a good while.

I recently ordered a big order from BBoneyard

for a major service thrash - plugs, air filter,

trans oil, check the valves and synch the TB's.

I found all of the stuff at BB to incl the air filter.

Now to "just" get behind all that tupperware! :-/

Thx for the info and the encouraging news!

I've seen that slipping/squeaking with a new belt right after washing the bike. I suspect its a bit of an inherent property of the elastomer belt which might get worse with age. But it goes away as soon as the bike runs a bit and dries off the pulleys.

Doubt it has any real impact on belt life (as long as it always stops, of course. A belt that keeps slipping and squeaking is telling you it needs attention)

Archived