IGNORED

Screeching sound on startup?

Skyrider

Looking for advice re.a recent screeching sound encounter on startup for my R1150RS (2003 with 28K miles).

It only happens when starting the bike for a few seconds. The sound is like when the starter on my old '71 Cutlass continues to turn and grind the flywheel. Any ideas where this sound may originate?

Thanks

RS confused.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Looking for advice re.a recent screeching sound encounter on startup for my R1150RS (2003 with 28K miles).

It only happens when starting the bike for a few seconds. The sound is like when the starter on my old '71 Cutlass continues to turn and grind the flywheel. Any ideas where this sound may originate?

Thanks

RS confused.gif

Might be exactly what it sounds like - starter not disengaging from the flywheel once the engine fires. Grease on starter spindle can get dry and contaminated, making it sticky and inhibiting pinion retraction.

If the noise can be localized to the left/rear of the engine, consider removing the starter and cleaning/regreasing the starter spindle.

If, OTOH, the noise comes from the front/top of the engine, as David notes it's likely the alternator belt.

I had a screeching sound on startup and then the starter locked in the flywheel ended up having a new flywheel fitted when flywheel was removed there was 8 teeth missing.I have a 2002 1150rt 25,000mls and i was told that this is not unknown on the 2002 models mines just cost me a fortune phil

Can I get a little more detail on what the gear puller is doing please?

i'd also like to know. i need to grease mine.

my starter is making noise. not a belt screech, but a metalic shhhhh noise on startup.

i'd also like to know. i need to grease mine.

my starter is making noise. not a belt screech, but a metalic shhhhh noise on startup.

You can eliminate the screech without the full disassembly that RightSpin illustrates in the link above. I had no puller and when I wanted to check out the access to the back of the splines I remembered the starter servicing procedures. When I got the starter off I noticed that my housing also had rivets holding it together, so I just cleaned it off with solvent (TB cleaner) and worked a rag in and around the shaft pulling the gear out and turning the pulley by hand to get to the backside. I blew it all out with compressed air and after it was thoroughly dry, recoated the shaft with Honda Moly (cause it was what I had), put it back on and no more screech! cool.gif

This five minute fix might not last as long as the full tear down, but as it is so easy to do without pulling the bearing, etc. (and I'll likely be pulling it to hit the splines when I do my 6000 mile "Splinal Tap" anyway), I figure I can just do the rudimentary clean-and-regrease more frequently if it starts to screech again! thumbsup.gif

Strange, my bike also started screeching on startup.

Does your's do it with every start or is it only when cold?

Mine only does it from a cold start (morning about 40F). Once it is warm restarts go produce the screech.

For those in the know does the fact that the problem disappears when warm indicate either the belt or the starter as a more likely cause?

Thanks

Doug

PS sorry for the slight hijack.

If the sound is like a squeaking tire on hot asphalt, it's the belt. Mine was, at 24K, about to disintegrate into its basic components bncry.gif. Carry a spare, I had a spare when I serviced my bike in Lincoln NE the summer before last tongue.gif.

If the sound is more metallic, than the starter may not be disengaging and needs cleaning.

The gear puller applies pressure to the bushing while you work the retaining ring into its groove. Without pressure applied, there is no way to seat the ring.

I just did the same abbreviated fix and it worked great - took me more than five minutes though!!! Question for all, what is the purpose of the black zip tie around the starter? I cut it off as stated in the procedure, but can't figure out why I would need to put it back. Is it just holding the wires out of the way of the flywheel?

hi davey

It is there to hold wires out of the way one of them will be your sidestand switch.I would most definatley put it back

for saftey sake.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

derek

I just did the same abbreviated fix and it worked great - took me more than five minutes though!!!
Sorry, I meant that since I was pulling the starter anyway to get to the splines that it took about five (maybe ten) minutes with the starter removed and already in my hand to just clean and re-grease the shaft and gear.

I agree, easy to throw the tie back on, so might as well. The repair was still relatively painless and worked great. I also took the opportunity to install the garage door remote to the turn signal cancel switch thanks to the good advice of this forum!

I was thinking a gear puller is not mandatory to reassemble the retaining ring/collar assembly. In the old days, at my dad's generator/alt./starter shop you usually had the armature with the starter drive on it in the vice. You took a regular screwdriver and a ballpein hammer and whacked the collar forward (a couple of times on each side, 180 degrees apart), and the collar would disengage from the retaining ring.Work the retaining ring off with pliers. You would then clean up the armature, grease the splines, usually put on a new starter drive (if you were completely rebuilding starter), slide on collar,and work the retaining ring on with pliers. Then you take a pair of channellocks and compress the retaining ring down into the groove at end of shaft. Then, bring the collar forward towards the retaining ring and get two regular slip-joint pliers (180 degrees apart, at 3:00 and 9:00) and apply pressure. Usually the retaining ring will slip right inside the I.D. of the collar. Most General Motors starters had that setup for years. But,on second thought, without the armature out of the field housing, perhaps it would be a pain in the ass.

Archived