IGNORED

question on rivet link install

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

Well I've got the Motion Pro all in one chain tool. I've read a few articles about how to install a chain too. One of the underlying tips for a successful install is to press the rivet on to the manufacturers rivet flare specification. Too little and it is loose but can be repressed. Too tight and you damage that link, it will be stiff. Do it over. No flare spec was provided in the new DID X-ring chain packaging. I see no flare spec on their web site.

What is the flare spec I'm told I should know to install the rivet link?

thanks in advance

Guest Kakugo

Sorry to be tardy to the party but I'd like to relate my experience.

After many years of riveting chains with everything from lump hammer and ball pein to sundry "all in one" tools, I have finally settled on the Whale brand riveting tool.

DSCF1457_zps00e359fe.jpg

DSCF1458_zps61999157.jpg

It makes riveting a five minute bob, literally, and to make matters better it also has a simple yet ingenious method that limits the strength going from the hammer blow to the rivet, avoiding those nasty issues of o-ring compression. It's also so sturdy you can hit it with a hammer for decades with no ill effects.

Apparently this tool has been around unchanged since the late '70s (and both the box and the instructions seem vintage) and there's a reason.

No affiliation with Whale (about which I know next to nothing), just an extremely satisfied customer.

Archived