IGNORED

Should I replace the suspension bolts?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I've got my Ohlins out for a rebuild, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to replace the bolts and nuts that hold the shocks, since I know bolts can stretch with torque, or whether it's fine to just re-use the originals. It's an '04 1150RT with 55,000 miles, and the bolts are the originals. Thoughts?

Evening Bill

As long as the bolts are not corroded, bent or, obviously damaged then no reason to not re-use them.

If properly torqued shouldn't hurt them as none are torque to yield bolts. If there is a chance that one or more were ever over-torqued then that bolt would be a good candidate for replacement.

The outlier here is the lower rear shock bolt. Those are prone to breaking even if not messed with as they can work bit during shock displacements on rough roads.

Personally, if I had it out I would replace the rear lower shock bolt just as a precaution.

Having had two lower shock bolts break, one leading to a broken Hagon shock, I agree with DR.

edit: The lower shock bolt is non-standard. it is a cap-head bolt but made from a more ductile steel than the standard cap-head. Be sure to buy this bolt from your dealer.

Andy

Bill_Walker

Thanks, guys! Yeah, on reflection, it does seem like that rather long, single-sided (i.e., only supported on the inside end) bolt might take a beating from shock loads. I'll get one.

I'm glad this came up, i'm expecting new shocks in a week or so and hadn't thought about it. I'll order the lower rear bolt now to be ready.

What about the bushing? Should i just assume it needs replacement with only 37k miles on it? (I'd rather not order it at $24 if i don't have to)

What color loctite should i use?

Sometimes the bolt proves to be the stronger part.

197398035589.jpg

For the rest of the unique fix to this problem click here, about mid page.

The bushing should be fine and at 37K I really doubt you need to worry about the bolt. Blue Loc-tite will be good.

Thanks, i won't worry about a bushing unless it looks beat up and badly worn. I can have a new bolt on hand for $4.27 plus shipping, just in case.

Oldi,

Watch the "shipping"

I ordered a $2.16 shift lever pivot bolt from A&S and did not look at pricing including shipping...the shipping was $9.78...for a 10mm by 30mm tapered seat bolt....12 bucks for a 2 dollar bolt.

Then if that was not enough, they sent me an email wanting to know if I wanted to upgrade the shipping for a mere $3.00...that was not even overnighting it that was just "a bit faster" according to the email. Yeah right.

But hey for $12.00 I got a bolt that is PRE-LOCTITED...woooo hooo

Archived