IGNORED

Valve Adjustment frequency and cost... FACT or FICTION???

Hi_Fi_Guy

A friend was ready to plunk down his cash on a new R1200RT when some lady he met at his MSF class told him she didn't buy a beemer because it requires two -$600 valve adjustment services per year.

Now, I know she is misinformed but lets seperate fact from fiction.

For R1200RT and R1150RT owners.

A. What is the average cost for a 6,000 mile service that includes inspection of valve clearances?

B. At what milage or frequency are the valves actually ADJUSTED?

Cost: zero

Frequency: inspection every 6k, adjustment every 6k when new but tailing off after 50K or so.

(btw, adjustment is only 5 minutes more than inspection)

I have a '99 R1100RT.

When I first got it I did check the valves every 6k miles. After I saw that they didn't move I started checking them at 12K intervals, they still didn't move. Now I check them when I'm in the mood and that hasn't been for some time. I have 69K miles on the thing now and runs smooth as a turbine.

Blue Beemer Dude

I'm assuming that Bob (Cost $0) does the adjustments himself.

As do I.

I do it myself about every 3K miles or so, because I am super-anal retentive (I make Adrian Monk look careless and carefree) and the dealership doesn't do a good enough job with that or TBS.

I think the average person could get by on a 6K service. I'm guessing it would cost around $250-$350 at a stealership?

Does the R1200RT have the recommended annual brake fluid service like the R1150RT? That's gotta be pricey if you pay them to do it.

Michael

St0nkingByte

The recommended service says check the valve clearance every 6,000 miles. It's done at oil change time.

Jim vonBaden posted a great walkthrough, with pics, of the procedure here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/622128/an/0/page/0#622128

Looks pretty easy to me , but I've never done it myself. There is at least one BMW dealer on the net that sells a kit for about $60 to do the 6k service yourself.

With regards to the cost at the dealer, if you look at the first service threads around here you'll find the costs can vary. For the first service I think we saw people mention everything from $120 up to about $350 on a R1200RT. How much the labor costs also depends on whether or not you have the BMW plastic engine head guards. Without the guards it can be done without pulling any plastics off so there's less labor involved.

My old Suzuki, by the book, says to check the valve clearance every 7,500 miles and I have to pull the tank and carbs to do it. Most 'zuki folk just give it a good listening too instead, not that I'm recommended that for the BMW engine but I'm just saying its not unheard of to have to check valves and it doesn't look as painful on the boxer engine.

St0nkingByte
...Does the R1200RT have the recommended annual brake fluid service like the R1150RT? That's gotta be pricey if you pay them to do it...

The R1200RT annual maintence list has:

• Changing brake fluid in wheel circuits
  • Changing brake fluid in entire Integral ABS control circuit (during servicing)* every two years

A. What is the average cost for a 6,000 mile service that includes inspection of valve clearances?

For me the valve adjustments are free since I do my own maintenance. As for the interval I follow BMW guidelines. That is to check the valves every 6000 miles and adjust if necessary. I just did the 12k instection on my RT and I adjusted only two valves on the right side. One intake and one exhaust and niether was very far off. All others were perfect. At 6k all the valves were very loose. The valves seem to seat quite well in 6000 miles. I do not think it would cost much to have a dealer do since the valvle covers come off no time and boom, the valves are right there. If they are perfect at 18k I may do what DGuy does and check them only every 12k.

even if one is not able to do the valve adjustment, changing the engine oil, tranny and final drive gear oil should save enough in dealer fees to cover the valve adj-IMO. i plan on doing my next valve adj (it will be my first attempt). time to fish or cut bait!

Brian,

Bring it to cedar key and we can do it in the parking lot. I am serious, I'll have my tools with me.

To clarify, I do my own valve adjustments. This post was to gather info for my freind who wants to buy a new R1200RT and will be paying the dealer for service for at least the first 36,000 miles. He is very clear that he wants the dealer to do it all.

That said, he also is afraid of the "Mandatory two-valve adjustments per year at a cost of $600 each" that some anti-BMW people have been spouting off to him.

I was hoping to gather some real dollar amounts and milage figures to help calm him (and his wife) down before they get scared away from Beemers forever.

I appreciate all the replies so far.

How are the new valve adjusters compared to those on my Airhead? I would offer to do his valves for him but I know he wouldn't go for it.

The 'need' for 6k valve checks & adjustments (beyond the break-in period) is pure fiction. I believe you will find the many owners who do their own valve checks (and there is a large number because the job is so easy) will say that the need to do actual adjustments are few and far between. Some check every 6k because it is so easy, more do it at 12k, and some only when they feel like it.

You may want to check every 6k on a new bike and note it in your service record to cover yourself while the warranty is in effect, but again it's only about a one-hour job start-to-finish and that's if you take your time about it. Most of the other required PM on oilheads are pretty easy as well. I suppose if you want to pay $75-$90/hour to have someone else do simple maintenance tasks then it could indeed add up, though, as BMW certainly does ask for more of this than most Japanese bikes.

Brian,

Bring it to cedar key and we can do it in the parking lot. I am serious, I'll have my tools with me.

Marty ,if you do it for one person , you have to do it for everyone!

I recently called three local BMW dealerships to price a "6K service". This included valves, sync'ing the carb's, oil change, and various other minor items. From what I recall prices were in the $350 to $450 range (yes, they varied by nearly $100 for the same basic work). I did not specify, and the shops did not ask, if the heads had the plastic guards so I assumed (uh-oh) they have priced the service regardless of whether there are guards.

There are other "non-dealership" shops which specialize in BMW's and are rumored to be much less expensive. Check the yellow pages and call around to get prices in your area. Based on responsed for the 600 mile service, prices vary alot from region to region.

Cheers,

Greg

That said, he also is afraid of the "Mandatory two-valve adjustments per year at a cost of $600 each" that some anti-BMW people have been spouting off to him.

Valve adjustment intervals are based on milage, NOT time.. If you ride 12k a year, you'll do it twice.. Ride 24K a year and the recommended is 4 times.

what is the twinmax? a synchronization tool?

I plan on doing it all myself but had thought of letting the dealer do the first one for me to get a proper baseline. what i read here is that no dealer is precise enough so why not do it yourself.

Just picked up son's Ducati from shop after 12k service and 700 bucks, that stinks as they really only replaced the timing belts in parts and spent a whopping 6+ hours on the total service. That one will also be done by me next time. Just do not know where to pull the time from.

Do you always replace the valve cover gaskets or do they last past opening the covers?

Ps

will go check the r12rt out tomorrow and ask for trade in value on 1150r. cool.gif

Brian, you asked two simple questions.

Like most of the responders, I do my own service, but that is not what you asked. For awhile, I had dealers do my service. Based on my experience:

A. 6000 mi tuneup was around $250 in California, $350 in Colorado. 12,000 mile check was around $450.

B. Service is recommended every 6000 miles. Valves won't need adjustment that often, but if you are paying someone to service it, the cost will be the same.

I could do all my service work, i have had the same service tech for 5years, i trust him, untill warranty is out i will let him do it. That way everything is in their computer, plus i have seen some Want To Be Mechanics mess some good bikes up.

Granted it is probably easier to DIY on a BMW than almost any other vehicle, the OP stated that the friend did not want to DIY.

That said, a valve adjustment can be done by a competent, NON-dealer motorcycle mechanic.

If I lived in a major metropolitan area rather than 200 miles and a mountain range away from there I might consider an independent mechanic. I would probably find a non-dealer motorcycle mechanic just as I have for my cars. I happen to have the inclination to do my own maintenance and a disinclination for a 400 mile round trip and wasted day to get it done in Seattle.

I can understand someone not having the time or inclination to not do their own wrenching. I can't understand someone not going to the effort to find a good, honest, reasonably priced independent mechanic. All cliche joking aside, they are out there.

Archived