IGNORED

I hate the learning curve!

autobahnracing28

autobahnracing28

Came home after a week long trip and found my bike laying on the left side. Had it on the center stand, seems it got bumped forward and fell.

Yes, I tried to start it up and go riding. Why can't there be a big flashing and loud alarm that goes off when I am about to do something stupid?

Nose of the starter is broken off. Do I buy a new starter and hope nothing else is wrong? Is there a way to check for further damage with out a complete tear-down?

Was this in your garage? or on the street?

If YOU bumped it forward you would have known it right away as it fell to its side. Is it possible that it was on the sidestand but lever not fully extended forward?

YOu are in the Hexhead forum, so it is a 1200? meaning the started is behind the engine block, how did the started broke?

Give us more info a or pictures.

autobahnracing28
Was this in your garage? or on the street?

If YOU bumped it forward you would have known it right away as it fell to its side. Is it possible that it was on the sidestand but lever not fully extended forward?

YOu are in the Hexhead forum, so it is a 1200? meaning the started is behind the engine block, how did the started broke?

Give us more info a or pictures.

I clicked into the wrong forum and did not notice until to late, but here is the story, my mistakes could be useful to others :dopeslap:

R1150RT, it was in my carpeted garage. I did not bump it and I don't think anyone else did, so I must have not got it on the CS correctly. I use the CS because I have 3 large bikes in the little garage and need the room. Yes I would certainly have noticed if it had fallen while I was present.

The starter broke when I tried to start it after picking it back up. I now know about hydraulic lock and the damage that can happen if you do what I did.

For any of you who don't know....if your bike is laying on the side for any length of time more than a couple minutes the oil can get into the top of the cylinder head and cause the engine to lock up due to the fluids inability to compress like a air/fuel mixture would. Many bad (expensive) things can happen if you try to start it with out clearing the oil out first.

That is good info about the oil or other liquids hydro locking the cylinder.

It broke the starter, wow.

In most vehicles I dealt with hydro-lock produced just a clicking starter motor.

I guess we have to chalk one up for the BMW (bosh?) starters for being strong.

Interesting responses. I have a 2005 1150RT. For 8 years I almost always put it on the center stand. I can count on one hand how many times the side stand has been used. Never fell over... Suspect it wasn't all the way up. When it is all the way up, you would have to hit it pretty good to knock it off in a forward motion. Not sure about pushing it sideways but will check tomorrow.

Guest Kakugo

Sorry to hear that.

At 65000km I had the swingarm on my RT checked: all bolts were tightened to torque specs and pivots greased. There wasn't really any need for it but I like to err on the safe side.

If the bike was bumped hard from behind there was really nothing you could do about it. It's only a matter of finding the culprit. ;)

And consider yourself lucky: on the old Kawasaki ZX6R you could get hydrolock just by leaving the bike in full sun and attempting to start the bike could result in a bent con rod. :P

As per starter: Valeo units can be overhauled. Read here.

Tiedemann Auto-Elektrik has both spare parts and brand new starters for sale at reasonable prices.

Center stands are for changing tires

Rubbish

I used to have a k100RS who were known to smoke like hell if you had them parked on the Side Stand for more then 15 minutes.

That was a design flaw as the cylinder head ended up on the low side, with oil slowly seeping past the pistons.

I used to park it on grass at rallies, gravel road service etc..never an issue.

It would take a fair push for a 1150RT or 1200RT to fall over.

Both these bikes have always been parked at home or anywhere else where it was overnight on their center stands with no issues.

Really? Yes they are, along with storing your bike, taking the tire off the ground and unloading the suspension.

I put mine on the center stand all the time. I trust it more than my sidestand.

When parking my 12RT it goes on the side stand for about 2 min while I unload my stuff and then always goes up on the center stand until the next time I ride.

Years back I was gone for the weekend, dove hunting in Mexico. We had a single car garage, but it was quite long. I always left first so I would park the bike behind the Jeep. Since I wasn't going to be around to move it out of the way before I left I moved the bike to the front of the garage. On the first day I was gone the ex hit the bike and knocked it on its side. No damage, but she didn't know that and had to look at it laying there all weekend and wonder what she had done and what I'd say.

Even though there was no damage I brought up her parking skills every now and then.

And as far as the center stand, I always used it when possible with never a hint of a problem.

autobahnracing28

Well it is official. I broke it good. Pulled the plugs and engine makes a big clunk when I turn it over. Bought a brand new starter but no need to install it now.

I will be parting the bike out. Everything in good shape and works well but the engine.

Thanks for all the support and advice even though I posted on the wrong area of the forum.

Randy

They are also good for changing oil, brake pads front & rear, washing, doing a full front to rear inspection, & making room for other bikes in the garage.

Did I miss anything?

Oh, yes I did. You're an idiot.

Archived