IGNORED

2011 R1200RT oil leak - Leaving for FLA on Wed AM

k9gromit

Help needed. Bike has been in the garage for a few weeks and I spent the day installing lights (Clearwater Kristas - awesome). Started the bike and had a pretty quick leak coming from the left cylinder top towards the engine case. Seems to be coming from the fairly inaccessable (to me) bolt I have hopefully pictured here. Of course the dealer is closed till Tuesday morning and I'm leaving 3AM Wednesday.

Anybody solved this one before?

e1WHNQ

e1Rboc

Thank You Hotrod! The link to the ADVRider post in the one you pointed out was the ticket. Now I just have to figure out how to get in there and get at it.

Evening k9gromit

That sure looks like the somewhat common L/H cam chain tensioner leaking. At least that is what your arrow is pointing at.

With the right tools you m-I-g-h-t get in there & tighten it.

I haven't done the camhead yet but it looks similar to the hexhead & on those I can sometimes get my 1/4 drive 15mm short wobble socket in there.

What I usually do is just loosen the clamps (special tool needed) then push the air tube back then move the throttle body slightly out of the way for easy access. If you do that you really should re-balance the throttle bodies though.

Your dealer might be able to work you in an emergency seeing as you are going on a trip.

Thanks, dirtrider. I'm going to get a flexible socket extension and take a shot at it tomorrow. I don't have much confidence in my local dealer getting me in on an emergency basis. I bought the bike elsewhere and get the stinky eyeball every time I go there.

Evening k9gromit

If you can't get a wobble socket in there then maybe try a 15mm crows foot or crows foot on a wobble coupling.

On the 1150's it helped a bit to put the bike on the side stand as that lifted the control arm up just a bit (don't know if that will help on the camhead or not).

Thanks again dirtrider...This one really freaked me out having a hotel reservation in JAX (Iron Butt Association annual Pizza Party) on Wednesday night and leaving from there for San Diego. Looks like it has been leaking for awhile but it's clearly gotten worse. Glad I pulled the plastics to install the Kristas.

I'll post tomorrow with the results.

Resolution (?)

Went out to Harbor Freight this AM and got a set of metric claw foot wrenches, a wobbly connector and a flexible 1/4" extender. Couldn't get in with any of them. Loosened the 3 T30's that hold the throttle body to the cylinder (the flexible 1/4" helped on the inside one and pushed it down enough so I could get a bit of purchase on the offending 15mm bole head. Snugged it a touch, felt like it anyway, and put everything back in place.

Bottom line, I'm riding to JAX early Wednesday AM (1100 miles) and have sent an email to JAX BMW requesting an emergency service visit for Thursday or Friday, explaining that my next stop is in San Diego.

Much thanks to those who spoke up with their guidance. :clap:

Archived