IGNORED

Updating Maps With Garmin Express

RockBottom

I continue to be frustrated by Garmin's almost bizarre insistence on fielding hard to use and unintuitive software products. So I went to check to see if there was a map update available using Garmin Lifetime Updater. I was told that there now was a new program for that--Garmin Express. It downloaded and installed a new map set on my Zumo.

But here's the rub: with Lifetime Updater once you downloaded the maps, there was a checkbox to install them on both the device and the computer. For some reason Garmin's software engineers hid the command, but it could be found. I didn't see any setting for that on the new Garmine Express. So now the maps on my Zumo are newer than those in Base Camp or Map Source.

Does anyone know how to make the mapping programs on the computer see the new ones?

Thanks.

Morning RockBottom

There seems to be some issues with using Garmin Express & having a GPS that has enough room to hold the entire map. (maybe???)

I just used Garmin Express to upload the latest 2013.4 without any issues & had the radio button appear in the lower left corner on the map download window that had selections of "GPS" or "Computer" or "Both". So I ONLY downloaded to my computer as I usually do.

BUT!-- the GPS I had handy was my old Zumo 550 & that doesn't hold the entire map in the main memory any longer.

A friend on mine called me when he tried to use Garmin Express to down load to his 660 & said he didn't have the radio button showing. (his 660 will hold the entire map)

So it looks like, as of now, Garmin Express doesn't give you the option of "computer only" (if) your GPS will hold the entire map. (this is not my observation but comes from a friend so maybe the radio button is there & he missed it)

If true, this is a bad deal as it forces you to use Base Camp & hook your GPS to your computer to use the latest mapping.

When my friend called with his issue I suggested he just use the old Map Updater program & he said that worked & allowed installing the 2013.4 on the computer only.

So as of now--maybe try sticking with Map Updater, or for first download use an older smaller internal memory GPS.

Just use MapUpdater and it will go smoooothhh.. Garmin Express is just one more dumbing down by Garmin... again, Sheesh....

BTW, If you install maps on multiple PC's (for MapSource or BaseCamp) (I have MS/BC on 4 pc's and a netbook I keep on my bike) Here is a GREAT EZ tool to perform this... NO BRAINER! Trust me on this one!

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Just spent most of today updating my 660 and PC.

Garmin Express only gave options of installing some regions to the 660 or all of the Euro map to micro SD card, no button to opt for PC.

Since the 660 didn't have room for the whole of Europe, I tried the micro SD option, which then meant I had new maps on the 660, and older maps on the PC, unless I had the two connected - not ideal.

After much searching on zumo forums with little success, I removed my micro SD card and tried updating again. This time I selected the option to select map regions, and then got to a screen similar to the mapupdater screen with the radio buttons at the bottom left. Selected install to PC, then reverted back to Mapupdater to put the maps I wanted onto the Zumo.

Sorry if that sounds longwinded, but it took much longer to find out, than to type.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you're Garmin..... :mad:

I've long believed that any half way competent competition would kill Garmin. I found that it worked if I used Garmin express to update the maps on the Zumo then separately used the Lifetime Updater to update the maps on the computer. As I said in another thread, I'm finding that I have to use MapSource to design a route then import it into Base Camp to load on the Zumo. This is a really dumb system.

I had a similar experience recently...it was so ugly it hosed my gps. I called Garmin Tech Support, they got on line, took over my pc and corrected the problem. The issue with the memory was it created a hidden shaddow file of the entire map. They deleted it, reset my pc and away I go...I did lose all my configurations and waypoints, but they were easily restoreable from prior downloads. Garmin...check this.........then down loaded free map upgrades for a year.

I've long believed that any half way competent competition would kill Garmin. I found that it worked if I used Garmin express to update the maps on the Zumo then separately used the Lifetime Updater to update the maps on the computer. As I said in another thread, I'm finding that I have to use MapSource to design a route then import it into Base Camp to load on the Zumo. This is a really dumb system.

Steve, Why are you importing into BC to upload into your GPS? If anything, I export from BC (using it to re-index viapoints), import into Mapsource and load that way. I REALLY don't like sending routes from BC to my GPS, nothing but headaches... category issues among other things...

Steve, Why are you importing into BC to upload into your GPS? If anything, I export from BC (using it to re-index viapoints), import into Mapsource and load that way. I REALLY don't like sending routes from BC to my GPS, nothing but headaches... category issues among other things...

I've only sent a couple from Base Camp to the Zumo and haven't actually ridden with any of them, so there may be problems I haven't encountered.

I was doing it that way because it wasn't uncommon for routes sent from Map Source to my Zumo to get corrupted or changed during the process. Based on what I'd read here, I thought Base Camp might do a better job particularly since Map Source is no longer being updated.

That said, I've been creating the routes in Map Source because I hate Base Camp and want to use it as little as possible. I find it much more complex to do simple things. There seems to be a serious lack of adult supervision of Garmin's software engineers.

I had a similar experience recently...it was so ugly it hosed my gps. I called Garmin Tech Support, they got on line, took over my pc and corrected the problem. The issue with the memory was it created a hidden shaddow file of the entire map. They deleted it, reset my pc and away I go...I did lose all my configurations and waypoints, but they were easily restoreable from prior downloads. Garmin...check this.........then down loaded free map upgrades for a year.

You're lucky--my Zumo became corrupted during a routine map update last year and I had to pay the $100+ to have it repaired.

Paul In Australia

I read all of this with interest. I use a Mac with osx 10.6 and then 10.7 and now 10.8

I have always used Base Camp and have never used Mapsource and i dont seem to have any problems planning a route or downloading to a Zumo 660 and riding the route. I do make sure the base camp maps and zumo maps are the same version.

I just seem to find i find my way around Base Camp vey easily. No corruptions or issues. Maybe Basecamp for Mac is different or i am not trying to use Mapsource moves when using Base Camp.

Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble

Morning RockBottom

You could very well have corrupt routes if you make them in Map Source & don't send them through Base Camp for re-calculation before sending to your Zumo.

Thing is, you just won't know until you ride the route.

The newer NT Maps don't play well with Map Source, ESPECIALLY IF you start your route from parts of older routes or include older POI's or waypoints.

The big issue seems to be the Map Database Indexes don't get properly updated in Map Source so the route can do things you don't want or expect when using them. Solid built routes with many shaping or via points on major roads with few alternate roads cause less issues than routes on smaller back roads with lots of turns & parallels, or (what the Zumo thinks) is better road choices.

It's a lot of work but you can send your created routes to your Zumo, then import them into the Zumo. Then export that route BACK onto your computer & compare it to the original route you have saved on your computer (change the color of one of them). Go to a Map Scale of something like 800' then compare the routes looking for skipped areas where the route doesn't follow the road exactly, or for straight lines between shaping points, or multiple routing lines for the same section of road, or phantom routing lines.

Personally, I pretty well use Base Camp for all my route making as the routes seem to be a lot more stable with few if any bugs. I know it is a pain but once you force yourself to use it for a while it actually works pretty good & does produce excellent stable routes.

I'm also unhappy that I had to us msconfig to stop Garmin Express from loading at startup and using resources rather than this being an option in the program itself. At times I think Garmin subcontracts its software out to undergraduate classes for development.

I'm also unhappy that I had to us msconfig to stop Garmin Express from loading at startup and using resources rather than this being an option in the program itself. At times I think Garmin subcontracts its software out to undergraduate classes for development.

Afternoon Rock Bottom

I definitely agree with you , as I also had to go in & manually remove it from my start-up to prevent it from running in the background at every boot up.

There really should be a configuration setting to allow it to remain dormant until needed.

+1 on having to disable the start at boot up.

Think I got more used to it after updating two computers and my sat nav, but once the next update is available ...... ????

Question for Dirtrider or anyone else.

I received the Garmin love note via Garmin Express saying there was a map update...

I am thinking I am tired of the hassle with not enough memory space on my 550 so I was looking into a 4 gig SD card. At Staples there is one for about $5 then another that is about $15. Question is, is there any known or suspected problem using the less expensive card? Why would one be 3x the price?

So if I install a larger SD card can I just load the sucker and let it update or is there some other trick? I assume I leave the SD card in the 550 and update both the device and the computer at the same time.

I am hoping that this time might be first time I can do an update without a call to Tech Support... ha- dream on...

Evening Hopz

Darn good question!

Some say not all 4 gig cards will work but so far all brands I have tried work just fine in both my Zumo's. Originally is was thought/guessed that the camera cards won't work but so far I haven't had any issues myself.

My guess is the more expensive card is either a real data card or it is more expensive because people will pay more if they think they are getting a better card.

I buy my cards off of E-Bay for very low dollars +free shipping.

When you pop a new SD card into your Zumo 550 it should automatically find it & create a new Gamin folder inside it. OR you can just copy all the contents of your old SD card to the new one & pop it in & the Zumo should take to it like cat takes to milk.

When I put a 4 gig card in my Zumo's I DO NOT allow any of the Map install programs (like Garmin Express, or MapUpdater, or WebUpdater) to automatically install any mapping in the GPS. To do that is to just ask for problems & issues as you have no control over what goes where.

I ONLY put the new map on the computer for first download/install.

Then (I personally use Map Source) "map tool" to put ONLY my home state on the Zumo's main drive (send to device). Then use the map tool again to send the reminder of North America to the SD card (will show on Map Source as a separate drive. If you have a Topo or routable TOPO map you can COMBINE it with state map (if the topo is small) or combine it with the remainder of North America (if large). If you do that then you will have to go into the map info page on your Zumo & untic either the NA map or topo map as you don’t want them running at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an update to the thread.

I am certain many more will have map update problems, capacity (memory) problems, Garmin problems so maybe this will help.

I bought an 8GB card because it was cheaper than a 4GB card... weird but true. I downloaded the new map to the computer... using the Mapinstaller program, not the Express POS.

Mapinstaller could not recognize my new card which was in the zumo 550. Duh? I have discovered there must be something written on the card before the card can be found by Mapinstaller.

So, I sent a simple route from Mapsource to the card... which for some reason Mapsource COULD see the card. Once the card had a route on it, then Map Installer saw it. Hour and a half later the map was on the 8 gig card.

(still do not know how to send the entire map from either Mapsource or Base Camp to the card in the unit.)Anyone know the trick on this?

Now, FWIW Garmin denies that an 8 gig card will work in the zumo. It does.

What other trick, or tips does the community have?

Afternoon Hopz

It's really very simple -- much easier in Map Source as it has a built in map send-to tool.

So-- Connect your GPS to the computer & open Map Source,, now MAKE SURE the map you want to send is showing in the (select a product box) lets say for now that is NT 2013.4,, next use the mouse scroll button or (select map size) & reduce the ENTIRE map to 700 miles or 1000 miles (small enough to be able to see the ENTIRE MAP),, now click on the (Map Tool) trapezoid looking thing in the upper tool bar.

Now while holding the L/H mouse button down drag the cursor over the entire map,, if done correctly everything you drag over will become highlighted & a different color.

If you click on MAPS in the far L/H column everything you highlighted & are going to send to your device should show there.

Now simply click on the (send to device) 'down button',, MAKE DARN SURE where you want to send it to is showing in the device window (that NEEDS to be either the GPS main drive or the SD card),, then make darn sure ONLY the MAPS box has a tic mark in it.

Now just click SEND.

If done correctly you should see it start to send the mapping & other map related data.

When done it will tell you & your new mapping should be where you sent it. Just keep in mind it WILL overwrite any other mapping in the GARMIN folder on that device or card.

So if you want two different maps (such as NT 2013.4 + a 24K topo on the same drive you will have to bring the different maps up in Map Source--then use the MAP TOOL to highlight the mapping you want to send & place that in the L/H MAP column. You can then bring up the 2nd map & do the same If done correctly all should be showing in the (L/H MAP column). Now send just like a single map.

Caution: if you send 2 separate maps be sure to turn off the one you aren't using in your GPS as 2 maps running at the same time covering one area leads to some very strange routing irregularities.

You can use the above to ONLY say select your home state with the Map Tool & send that to your Zumo. THEN, select the entire rest of the North American map & send that to you SD card. Just be VERY CAREFUL that don't send the same area twice (so if you send your home state to the GPS make sure that is NOT included with the rest of NA when you send that to the SD card.

Added: I should add that you can individually UN SELECT anything you want by placing the cursor on that area then a single L/H mouse click (you will see how that works when you try it)

So lets say you send your home state to the GPS drive,, then you send the rest of NA to the SD card. You can first select the entire NA map, then individually un select your home state before sending to the SD card. Personally I also un select some of the islands that I will never travel to reduce map size.

Afternoon Hopz

One more thing addressing something from your post above.

I see you uploaded the NEW map to your new SD card.

If so & your old map is still on your device MAKE SURE one or the other maps is turned off (un-ticked) on your device as you don't want two different versions covering the same area running at the same time.

You can leave the old mapping on your device just (on your device) CLICK ON--

WRENCH,, then MAP,, then MAP INFO

then just un-tic the map you aren't going to use.

Yes, and also...

since this is intended to be a bit of a reference for others... after downloading and installing the new map you still have the old map available on both Mapsource and Basecamp you need to remove the old one. (actually you do not have to but it is huge and if it is still there you might accidentally use it.)

The Maps are actual programs, not just files, so... on Windows machines you have to go to Add/Remove programs (on the Control Panel) and remove the old edition.

Removing from there removes it from both Mapsource and Basecamp, but not from the GPS device.

Morning Hopz

I actually leave a few older maps on my computer to use to make routes for fellow riders that still have older mapping on their GPS's.

It's much easier for ME to get a route made on older mapping to work correctly in my GPS with new mapping than it is to get fellow riders with limited GPS savvy to get new routes made on new mapping to work correctly in a GPS with older mapping on it.

As far as deleting the old mapping from the GPS, that is only necessary if the old map is on a drive you didn’t put the new mapping on.

If you send part of the new map to the GPS main drive & part to the SD card then no need to delete anything as the old mapping will be over-written by the new mapping on both drives.

Gmapsupp (the actual map file) is one of those files that always over-writes the existing in the Garmin folder.

About the only time you have to delete the older mapping from the GPS is when you do something like you just did. That is to install a large SD card & put all the new mapping on the card but still have older mapping on the GPS main drive. Even then, all that is really necessary is to un-tic the older map on the main drive as that way you have a back-up map handy if you ever fail the SD card while on a trip. Not likely but I had one (SD card) fail last summer when I removed it to install a route I had in my GPS into 8 other riders GPS's. Not sure if one of the GPS units did the card in or just me quickly popping it in & out or so many GPS's so many times in a hurry.

Even then, when I do delete old maps from my computer I just track them down in the map folder & send them to my remote storage drive (or DVD writer) as old mapping isn't supported from Garmin after an iteration or two so if I need an old map to restore a friends corrupt older map that matches his GPS mapping I have access to it.

Just use MapUpdater and it will go smoooothhh.. Garmin Express is just one more dumbing down by Garmin... again, Sheesh....

BTW, If you install maps on multiple PC's (for MapSource or BaseCamp) (I have MS/BC on 4 pc's and a netbook I keep on my bike) Here is a GREAT EZ tool to perform this... NO BRAINER! Trust me on this one!

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

I would really like to have my maps on both my pc and my netbook. When I downloaded the above ap however, Norton zapped it as a threat. Does anyone know for sure if this software is legit?

Afternoon Al

I have the latest 2013.4 maps on both my home computers, my laptop & my office computer.

I just hooked my GPS to whatever computer I wanted to download then used Map Updater to download the map from Garmin directly to the computer.

Having the GPS (with a valid map unlock code in it) connected to the computer will allow the map to go on another computer in unlocked form.

If the map doesn't go on the computer unlocked then simply use the Manage Maps button in MapSource to unlock online (assuming you have legal Garmin map)

Hi DR,

Thanks so much for the info. It looks like that will work for me. Unfortunately, after about 3 hours of the download, I lost my internet connection and the whole thing stopped. Ugh, I'll try again though.

Albert, if memory serves me correctly, Garmin resumes a failed

download where it failed, so shouldn't take as long.

No doubt I'll be corrected (quite rightly) if I'm wrong.

Albert, if memory serves me correctly, Garmin resumes a failed

download where it failed, so shouldn't take as long.

No doubt I'll be corrected (quite rightly) if I'm wrong.

Thanks Ian, that would be great. I haven't had the time to go back and try again but I'll give it a shot this weekend.

A quick follow up on my experiences. I was able to get the maps onto my net book using DR's instructions above (thanks DR). The successful download however did not appear to start where the other failed but seemed to start from scratch. Anyway it's done.

Having successfully run the Garmin gauntlet once, I figured, "why not", I'll upgrade my wife's Nuvi while I'm at it. Things all went relatively smooth until it came time to update the map (she has liftime maps), at that point the updater popped up and said, "there's not enough room to install the updated map"???j#$#$%T43?? Unbelievable! Garmin has found a way to sell lifetime maps that cannot be updated since there's not enough room. I know, you can add an SD card for more room. Shouldn't have to! Instead I wound up spending several hours dumping Lithuanian, Slovenian and Romanian language files onto my pc to free up room on the unit. In the end I had to copy the entire map image file to the pc before I could update it. I thought I couldn't be any more surprised or disappointed with Garmin . . . I was wrong. :S

Morning Albert

Just hook her GPS to the computer (so Map Source has access to the GPS unlock code. Then use the built in map install tool in MapSource to send part of the new map to your wife's GPS. She probably doesn't need Alaska or Mexico or other regions that she won't go to. If you only install your home state & a few surrounding states the file size will be plenty small enough to fit.

If the map by chance goes in locked then use the manage maps in MapSource to go online & unlock it. For that you will need to log on to her lifetime account.

If her GPS isn't registered to a lifetime map update then you can't easily (or legally) obtain an unlock code or even update her map set.

Guest Kakugo

Those are wise words. I have spent quite some time recently trying to update the maps on my Garmin A50 phone. I am invariably met with an internal server error. Add on top of that the phone takes forever to get a fix on the present position despite good satellite signal (and it's getting worse) and I am far from impressed.

The problem is, of course, right now Garmin and TomTom are the only motorcycle GPS manufacturers and TomTom has always had some quite embarrassing quality control issues. They are quick to solve issues but when your brand new 400+€ GPS is dead on arrival... that's not a good sign. And if you are using a Mac, good luck with the software.

Personally I am holding out for the day Magellan will finally release a bike GPS. Until then I have a good collection of old fashioned maps.

Archived