IGNORED

CHP cracking down on lane splitters

upflying

Although still legal, it better be reasonable. It appears a few who split stopped traffic at 60 mph are being targeted. Unfortunately this type of user based "legislation" is a precursor to some elected official introducing a bill to outlaw the practice.

To you Ca riders who split, do it courteously and safely, it may not be legal much longer.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/07/5171619/california-highway-patrol-posts.html

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Everything is already illegal in Californakistan..why not just take the LAST and final thing?

Not true Kmac. We still have freedom of spe, hang on, someone is banging on my door.

Yep, the primary reason why I ride in the SF Bay Area is to get through stopped and slow traffic that perpetually infests freeways.

Outlaw splitting and I will sell the bike. Might as well sit in a car if I can't split.

This is how laws occur. Someone abuses their freedom and the government takes it away from you.

These CHP guidelines look entirely reasonable to me. Of course, I already follow them, so they would.

I think it's very important to note that this is, AFAIK, the first time CHP has said publicly that lane splitting is legal. It's certainly the first time that information has gotten so much press, which can only be a good thing.

Dennis Andress

The CHP has always recommended not going more then 10 mph over traffic's speed. The part about not splitting when traffic is going faster then 30 mph sound familiar too. Maybe the recommendations of the past have become today's guidelines.

Reading some of the comments posted to the article lead me to believe that some cagers will now point to this when they scream "You're breaking the law!"

Although still legal, it better be reasonable. It appears a few who split stopped traffic at 60 mph are being targeted. Unfortunately this type of user based "legislation" is a precursor to some elected official introducing a bill to outlaw the practice.

To you Ca riders who split, do it courteously and safely, it may not be legal much longer.

What CVC would they cite if they didn't like it? 22350?

What CVC would they cite if they didn't like it? 22350?

21658a is unsafe lane change and 22350 is speed too fast for conditions, aka basic speed law.

I'd be inclined to lean towards 22350 if the split speed is too fast.

21658 if the biker clips a car while splitting.

If I recall correctly, the law was there because bikes used to, and still DO overheat if the sit very long without airflow over the motor....think TB sync guidlines of using a fan in the motor while it sits still...

So with that in mind, who do I send my motor rebuild bill to when my oilhead overheats and seizes because I am sitting in stopped L.A. traffic?

Jerry Brown directly, or Scaramento?

My car will idle all day and maintain 212*F with the A/C on and stereo blasting...my BMW oilhead...not so much, my buddies Harley, definately not so much. My R80G/S not that one either. My KTM 530 I can barely sit at a red light without spreading my legs because the heat is too high and the anti-freeze is spitting on my legs.

So what bike can just sit in traffic and not melt down?

The whole concept on NOT lane splitting in Cali with our traffic is absurd.

The article states we are the only state that allows lane splitting...I do not think so.

I wonder if the timing of the increased enforcement had anything to do with this crash?

http://martinez.patch.com/articles/motorcyclist-who-died-in-crash-identified-as-concord-man

According to information I'm aware of, this squid was doing 120 mph while stunting and lane splitting before he impaled himself on the back of a delivery truck.

He was wearing a full face helmet and full leathers.

I've seen photos but they cannot be shared.

I wonder if the timing of the increased enforcement had anything to do with this crash?

http://martinez.patch.com/articles/motorcyclist-who-died-in-crash-identified-as-concord-man

According to information I'm aware of, this squid was doing 120 mph while stunting and lane splitting before he impaled himself on the back of a delivery truck.

He was wearing a full face helmet and full leathers.

I've seen photos but they cannot be shared.

I personally think it is just another avenue of revenue for a broke state. One more ticket that LEOs can write. One more source of income, one more violation code and charge on each ticket.

I personally had a house next to mine a few years back burn down to the ground. Turns out it was a meth lab. I and other neighbors had all called on alot of suspicious stuff going on there, made reports and complaints. The LEO that investigated the lab straight told us that our city could not spend much time pursuing minor crimes. That cost too much money and we do not have that in the budget. Time and money to investigate a petty dealer, trial and incarseration, then big money to clean up the toxic meth lab...way more profitable for an agency to focus as much time as possible on writing traffic violations that the vast majority of people just cut a check and pay for. The officer that investigated the lab next door was very cool and wished he could have helped sooner, but he gave us his personal phone number and said to call him personally if we had that kind of trouble again. We were thankful for him, but no one was ever caught or punished for the lab or the fire and the house sat for 2 years as charred rubble...looks great in a housing tract.

Please if you are a LEO, do not mistaken my comments as saying that the individual officers are bad or not doing their job. I am sure that MOST officers would rather catch a burgaler or dealer, car theif or vandal rather than write 12 mph over the speed limit or window tint tickets. It is the agency policy that I see as a problem.

Maybe but a car based CHP officer won't be able to pursue speeding lane splitters. I cannot think of any instance where I stubbed a splitter. Officers like to have evidence when writing a speed ticket. Things like pacing, radar, lidar help immensely when the ticket goes to court. Officers estimating speed visually holds up in court but it much more difficult. Then you have judgement from the officer that the lane splitting speed was too fast. How does the officer articulate beyond a reasonable doubt that the speed was too fast? Remember the speed limit is 65 and the splitter might be doing 45.

The state of Kaliforniastan certainly will not be making money on this type of enforcement.

I still think this is just a preemptive strike or so-called trial balloon to make it illegal.

Those are pretty close to my internal rules, i.e. I don't split while moving faster than about 35 mph, and no faster than 10 mph faster than the traffic I'm passing so that I have at least a chance of avoiding rear ending someone if they change lanes in front of me suddenly.

Then again, I hate cigarettes. Always have. I hate the smell, I hate the way people look when they smoke, I grew in a household with smokers (though they quit later in life), and I had an office in the Navy where my people were smoking in my face - made me flat out nauseous at sea. I can't think of any habit I hate more.

Yet, I'd fight to the death to defend a smokers right to smoke. I kind of feel the same way about this practice, and dangerous riding habits in general (unless they threaten others). I VERY reluctantly support helmet laws, but they are a no-brainer. ;)

I guess my point is that there are just too many things in life that have the "force of law" over individual liberties. I'm tired of it. I'm fed up with it.

So, while these new CHP "rules" are reasonable, and I'd otherwise support them, I'm sorry, I recoil at the thought of non-elected bureaucrats adding yet one more "regulation" to my life.

SWB-

I hate smoking too, but I feel the opposite. I wish SO badly that of ALL things that they would outlaw...I wish they would outlaw smoking.

Smoking DOES affect EVEYONE everywhere. I can not walk out into my yard without picking up a dozen cigarette butts, celophane wrappers, foil liners, and empty packets. Then my daughter has Asthma and all of my idiot neighbors smoke. We can not have our windows open because she starts hacking when we smell them smoking. I can not walk into a restaurant without having to walk through a cloud of smoke that makes me gag.

The laws on drunk driving make doing that illegal. I like to drink in moderation. If I want to have a beer or two, it does NOT hurt anyone else. If I go out and drive drunk, even if I do not crash and hurt anyone it is still illegal...but I can drink without hurting others. Smoking affect everyone around you, even next door. I can not stand being in a line somewhere or a fast food restaurant and some discusting smoker walks up next to and they REEK of cigarettes. I have walked out of the store.

If I lane split, it does not neccesarily affect others. If THEY change lanes in front of me there might be a crash....but they broke the law and generally would have changed lanes without looking and signalling, thus ut is THEIR fault. If by chance I am the one that makes a mistake and crashes then I have insurance to make them whole again. Problem fixed.

A smoker can NEVER make my daughters lungs whole once they breathe smoke around her.

With lane splitting, I take the risk and the potential risk is on me. That does not mean my mistake might not hurt someones car, but that is what insurance is for.

How many people driving a car have been killed by a motorcyclist lane splitting {within reasonable limits of course}? I can not think of many scenarios where a bike riding 10 or even 20 mph over the flow of traffic could run into a car and kill someone in the car. It might kill the rider, but that is THE RIDERS risk then. Second hand smoke DOES kill.

California, leading the society in not taking responsibility for ones own action. And leading the country in laws, and lawsuits, protecting that ability....

As a former CA resident and lane splitter, I for one am glad to see some actual guidlines. Until now, it was entirely up to the individual LEO whether you were doing it right or not. I heard of folks getting written up because they were splitting when traffic was "Moving", because the cop thought you should only do so when traffic was at a standstill.

For the record, the most egregious istances of lane splitting stupidity I have personally witnessed were accomplished by CHP officers on there work bikes. Splitting 75 mph traffic at 90/100 mph is just not bright. Just because you can, does not mean you should.......Especially when they took the next offramp and parked at the Dunkin Donut store. Just sayin'.

Upflying,

Most of our LEOs go to Starbucks now days. Everybody gets a break don't they.

I was actually calling BS on someone saying a LEO was racing down a So Cal hiway at high speed to get to DD, because we do NOT have those here. Sucks because we get the DD commercials here all of the time, but we do not have any here...I looked it up. I had a dear friend that moved here fro MI and missed DD. I wanted to take her to one so I went online...at least a year or so ago the nearest one was in Vegas.

I do not see the attraction though, We went to DDs twice while we were in NYC 2 years ago and I was not impressed. Each to their own though.

Thanks kmac, I wasn't referring to you. Since I do not wish perpetuate the doughnut stereotype, I and all my peers go to Starbucks.

Especially important to respect brave men and women in uniform with that crazed cop killer on the loose.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

And Bob,

they eat scones and croissants anyway. :rofl:

On a more serious note, who in their right mind is actually going to try to make a stop on a splitter who isn't reckless? You'd either have to be on a bike or, in a car driving on the shoulder. Then, what to do when the shoulder disappears?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Yep, the primary reason why I ride in the SF Bay Area is to get through stopped and slow traffic that perpetually infests freeways.

Outlaw splitting and I will sell the bike. Might as well sit in a car if I can't split.

This is how laws occur. Someone abuses their freedom and the government takes it away from you.

This is a huge perk. Although I don't normally ride during crunch time, on occasion I still end up in traffic, and the savings coming down 101 in the north bay can be close to 1 hour over 45 miles.

I generally take my lane sharing cues from the local LEO's who seem to like bike speeds up to about 50 MPH in 40 MPH traffic. My own unscientific studies show that there is still a great safety benefit at those speeds, but any higher and the traffic tends to spread out making the chance of a rear-ender much less.

Thanks kmac, I wasn't referring to you. Since I do not wish perpetuate the doughnut stereotype, I and all my peers go to Starbucks.

Especially important to respect brave men and women in uniform with that crazed cop killer on the loose.

The news on that guy has been crazy down here. The first murder he commited in Irvine was a set of HIGH end condo complexes that I built. I saw the story on the evening news of the couple that were murdered before they had any idea why or by who and I instantly said to my wife "that is the Irvine condos where the owner gave some hardwood for our upstairs floor". {No I did not setal it from the job, I was there doing some pick up work after the condos were being moved into and there was a storage room that the building management was throwing out all of the left over junk. He told me to trash everything...I said can I have that T&G walnut stained oak hardwood?" He said "get it outta here"}

Kinda freaky though to be watching a murder scene and know every inch of the area the camera is filming.

Anyway, that guy has gone way off the deep end. I hate seeing anyone who specifically represents any specific group of generally good people turn so bad. A military person going on a shooting spree, or a Cop killing someone or even as simple as a minister or teacher doing something bad gives a bad light on what otherwise is usually good hard working caring people. Then it makes people suspicious of every person in that position. Sucks.

Speaking from my Ohio and New England perspective; just thinking about lane splitting gives me the willies. I've driven on LA freeways and seen it done, I found it unnerving as one of the car drivers being passed. I imagine it's a matter of perspective and faith in drivers observing the local customs.

Legal lane splitting is being trialled here ... but absolutely ONLY when the traffic is stationary. Personally, I don't think the trial will be a "success".

PS: Sorry, should have specified: when stationary it's "filtering" ... THAT'S what's being trialled.

"Lane splitting" will get you nailed.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Speaking from my Ohio and New England perspective; just thinking about lane splitting gives me the willies. I've driven on LA freeways and seen it done, I found it unnerving as one of the car drivers being passed. I imagine it's a matter of perspective and faith in drivers observing the local customs.

There's definitely some local customs involved. I've done some lane sharing in other states and would say that it's not as safe elsewhere. Probably because it's done here all the time, and not there unless there's some freaky Kalifornian fed up with their traffic.

Also, it's an acquired skill like everything else, which does not develop overnight.

I hate smoking too, but I feel the opposite. I wish SO badly that of ALL things that they would outlaw...I wish they would outlaw smoking.
Interesting that with all the noise about how bad smoking is for you, how dirty, how expensive, how anti-social it is and forcing tobacco companies to pay billions of dollars to states (theoretically to help care for the sick smokers), we're now talking about legalizing pot smoking as if there's nothing wrong with smoking if it's a hallucinogen. Can't be that the tax revenue that can be had supersedes the health impact of smoking (of any kind) can it?
Interesting that with all the noise about how bad smoking is for you, how dirty, how expensive, how anti-social it is and forcing tobacco companies to pay billions of dollars to states (theoretically to help care for the sick smokers), we're now talking about legalizing pot smoking as if there's nothing wrong with smoking if it's a hallucinogen. Can't be that the tax revenue that can be had supersedes the health impact of smoking (of any kind) can it?

Nice. Alterior motives in laws...wierd huh.

I suppose that collecting multi millions in taxes is smarter than keeping many thousands in jail for possession of a small amount of weed. Wonder who pays for all those folks in jail? Of course the private owners of some of these jails are loving the money they rake in from your taxes.

As an aside, very few smoke as much weed as folks smoke cigs. Not an equal health care cost by any means.

Jim,

Another area I am involved in.

Tax revenues do not offset health care costs.

The real issue isn't that tobacco kills/causes major health issues, the real issue is health care costs.

Tobacco spent TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS PER DAY FOR ADVERTISING IN 2010 in the USA.

Smokers die prematurely, 13-14 years earlier.

For every person who dies from tobacco use 20 more have other health related issues.

Someone dies in USA almost every minute, from tobacco use.

So, your concern is probably warranted.

Don't lane split and smoke.

Back toyour regularly scheduled thread...

I suppose that collecting multi millions in taxes is smarter than keeping many thousands in jail for possession of a small amount of weed. Wonder who pays for all those folks in jail?
50 people a day are killed in this country due to DUI. Wonder how much that costs.

Wonder how many more will drive DUI when pot is added to the mix. Or is there also some magic pixie dust mixed in that makes smokers super-responsible so they don't drive while under the influence? I have enough to worry about in terms of other drivers on the road - I hate it when they add new things for me to have to watch out for. I'm getting too old for this. Sheesh. I sound like my father (& he was a curmudgeon :) ). Pretty soon I'll be telling my kids that they should eat their cauliflower because there are kids starving in Africa who would love to eat the food we throw away.

You know you're getting old when you become your parents :grin:

Sheez, the worn out police doughnut pejorative again.

For the record, I have not patronized a donut shop for at least 20 years.

Don't you love it when they throw that in, like I have not heard that one before, or how many times a cop has done it..............the point of this post was if you keep doing it illegal the states going to take it from you.

This is the latest from the CHP

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

I like the last paragraph best. It should be in the DMV driver handbook.

*Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers*

1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.

2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.

3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

5) Never drive while distracted.

6) You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by

• Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning

• Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic

• Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency

---John.

I find this thread interesting given that, here in the UK, filtering (or lane splitting if you prefer) is legal (or at least it is not banned).

However, the rules that CA are imposing are similar to the way that most of the local Police here would enforce the rules. If you go too fast through the traffic then you run the risk of being pulled and charged with reckless or dangerous driving.

Personally I tend to take the line that if the traffic is stopped then no more than 20 through it (and remember our lanes are narrower than yours) but if it is moving and the cars are more likely to do something dumb then speed of traffic plus 10 is more than enough. Never filter at more than 35 though - why bother? even on the motorway moving slowly I am still moving, much too easy to take a hit and go down if unlucky.

In the old days when I could use Blues and Twos to get through traffic I would just go, now I cannot I tend to play it safe - although I still wear an old work over jacket (with the badges removed) so people tend to move anyway.

Ride safe...

Archived