IGNORED

A Game and a Cookie

Ken H.

By now many people know about Oreo cookie’s Tweet during the Super Bowl power outage – You can still dunk...

What I find amazing, and quite telling about the world we live in today, is that how a quick on their feet a major company was in putting an ad together spontaneously and getting it out. (For those that don’t know, the Tweet went out while the blackout was still in progress.)

On a Sunday.

During a major event.

In less than 30 min.

Did they have staff on hand just waiting for something unknown to happen to react to? Or more likely a graphics ad copy person who was watching the game, fast on his/her feet, who not only was able to put something clever together quickly (probably from their laptop while sitting on their couch) and post it, but more importantly was fully authorized to do so. To say nothing about having a positive attitude about their job and employer to want to do it in the first place.

It wasn’t so long ago it would have taken weeks for an ad department to put something like that together, get it approved, financed, etc. and get it out. Amazing.

Ken, Ken, Ken that was two days ago! Can't you find a current topic to discuss? :dopeslap:

I saw this too and was amazed at their resourcefulness and quick thinking.

My daughter has a friend who tweeted something about High School Musical during the blackout.(A movie where a high school basketball player is torn between participating in a basketball game and participating in a school play. So he rigs up some mayhem to delay one of the events so he can participate in both)

The girl became "twitterfamous" and had 8000+ followers within a few minutes.

"It wasn’t so long ago it would have taken weeks for an ad department to put something like that together, get it approved, financed, etc. and get it out. Amazing."

Not quite so. My (previous) father in law worked in TV advertising 'back when'. The company he worked for produced live ads between periods of Hockey Night In Canada. Once they got to the point where the ads could be prerecorded and in the can were they able to relax a bit from the frenetic live ones. However, I do concede that their ads didn't respond to 'at the moment' issues as the Oreo ad did so effectively.

What am I missing here? Given that people tweet all the time (which I still don't understand though am in no way a technophobe), what is so surprising about a tweet being posted during one of the most-watched programs of the year? Why on Earth would a smart company waste the opportunity to advertise during the Superbowl simply because it's being played outside of normal working hours. I mean, come on ... it's an alternative advertising outlet AND it's free!

While it was a good move, I can easily see a trusted copywriter being assigned "the duty" to post during the game. I'll bet folks in advertising were chomping at the bit to be the one.

My last question ... who here that read that tweet were compelled to eat or go buy Oreos?

EDITED:

All this amounts to (as Rocer pointed out) is nearly live advertising, which has been done before in live TV. The difference now is the plethora of ready-made options (i.e. templates, graphics, styles, etc.).

What am I missing here? Given that people tweet all the time (which I still don't understand though am in no way a technophobe), what is so surprising about a tweet being posted during one of the most-watched programs of the year?

It isn’t that they tweeted during the event in and of itself that I found interesting. It’s that they reacted to an unexpected (and unusual) event (the black out), conceived a rather creative ad, composed it, and then tweeted it, all in less than 30 min. And as I mentioned, that the organization is structured open enough to allow something like this to happen in the first place. Especially on a Sunday afternoon.

Pretty sure when the investigation is over we'll find the outage was casued by a substation employee who knocked his milk over when he was dunking an Oreo.

Thereby frazzlelating the power supply.

What am I missing here? Given that people tweet all the time (which I still don't understand though am in no way a technophobe), what is so surprising about a tweet being posted during one of the most-watched programs of the year?

It isn’t that they tweeted during the event in and of itself that I found interesting. It’s that they reacted to an unexpected (and unusual) event (the black out), conceived a rather creative ad, composed it, and then tweeted it, all in less than 30 min. And as I mentioned, that the organization is structured open enough to allow something like this to happen in the first place. Especially on a Sunday afternoon.

OK. That's what I missed. :)

Archived