IGNORED

Need Help with trip planning

R & R

Howdy all

The wife & I are planning a mid summer jaunt into the Canadian Rockies.The general route as follows:

Day 1: East from Whidbey to Colville, WA

Day 2: Angling North thru Creston/Cranbrook/Golden & into Lake Louise

Day 3: North to Jasper than south to Blue River on Hwy 5

Day 4: East to Hundred Mile House than south on 97/1 to Hope

Day 5: Homeward bound

We are looking at either the 3rd week in July or the 1st week in August. Looking for a little input regarding roads, traffic, weather, and possible good (cheap) places to stay, close to our route. We know the scenery is going to be great.

Thanks for the help.

This must be the year to visit Banff/Jasper parks. I am thinking of heading there in early August, and there are some other threads in this forum asking about the same general area. You might take a look at those other threads for some comments and suggestions.

A suggestion that I received was to take a look at Field, BC, or Canmore, AB, for accommodations that aren't quite as expensive as the Lake Louise area. Although, I think anything near Lake Louise will be pretty expensive. And in Lake Louise the two cheapest places (Deer Lodge and Lake Louise Inn) are actually pretty decent places.

I was also told that the accommodations in Jasper are somewhat hit and miss, with B&Bs as the best possibility. Have you been to Banff/Jasper parks before? As I recall from having been there many years ago, the town of Jasper wasn't anything too special compared to Banff, Lake Louise, and the Icefields Parkway.

I don't have any particular recommendations on roads, as I am researching that myself. Good luck.

Thanks. We hadn't planned on staying in Jasper,just passing thru. Some of the towns heading south from Jasper look pretty small so we'll see how accomodations go. The missus wants to firm up the date so she can plan her other outings.

Spending the night in Canmore, AB is a bit less expensive than staying in either Banff or Calgary. I've had good luck at the Best Western Pocaterra Inn and at the Banff Boundary Lodge.

Both were clean and reasonable. The Banff Boundary Lodge was actually a condo which served my brother and I well as we each had our own room and didn't have to listen to each other snore for one night. Good luck.

Cheers,

David

P7170042-M.jpg

P7160035-S.jpg

Howdy all

The wife & I are planning a mid summer jaunt into the Canadian Rockies.The general route as follows:

Day 1: East from Whidbey to Colville, WA

Day 2: Angling North thru Creston/Cranbrook/Golden & into Lake Louise

I'm assuming you intend to use WA20 to Ione, then north across the border and east on BC3 to Cranbook. As you head north on BC95 consider heading NE on BC93 through Kootenay National Park until you hit TC1 (Trans-Canada 1) at Castle Junction. From there you head on to Lake Louise (if you want to stay there). If staying at Lake Louise then consider the 20 minute run to Moraine Lake and back.

There are very few places to stay between Lake Louise & Jasper, they require reservations and they are quite expensive. If camping, expect night temperatures close to the freezing mark.

Day 3: North to Jasper than south to Blue River on Hwy 5

Day 4: West to Hundred Mile House than south on 97/1 to Hope

Not sure why you picked that route. If you don't want to look for someplace to stay in Jasper then go on to Valemount, BC. If BC24 from BC5 to BC97 is a "destination" then considering heading west from BC97 on BC99 through Lillooet and Pemberton/Whistler then following the Sea-to-Sky Highway all the way to Vancouver and then home. If you head south on Hwy 5 from Tete Jaune Cache to Kamloops the ride is pretty is unremarkable, but you can do much better from there. If you want to keep going south then go on BC5A to Merritt and then BC8 west to the TC1. Or Lac le Jeune Rd to BC97C and on to the TC1.

We are looking at either the 3rd week in July or the 1st week in August. Looking for a little input regarding roads, traffic, weather, and possible good (cheap) places to stay, close to our route. We know the scenery is going to be great.

Thanks for the help.

The first weekend of August (3,4 & 5) is a long weekend in Canada and I would recommend reservations if you are traveling over that weekend.

Michael Cassidy

Archived