IGNORED

Want to mount my '06-'09 (k1200) mirrors on my 2013 R1200RT

Deek

Dropbox isn't working, but this link looks like the mirrors identical to the ones I pulled off my 2009 R1200RT. I was told they will not fit on the 2013 R1200RT I pick up Tuesday.

I want to mount these on my 2013 R1200RT. Anyone have an idea what sort of adaptor or whatever I need to mount these? I've found two places that sell aux mirror kits (A&S CYcles and BMW Max) for around $220, but I'd rather stick with the ones I have now if that is possible. Surely I am not the first guy to try to do this......please........?

Afternoon Deek

With enough time money & ingenuity about anything is possible. On your 2013 RT, those mirrors (shown), will be a REAL DIFFICULT task to mount & make look nice.

Your 2013 RT has completely different switch pods than are needed to mount those K-RS type mirrors.

On the other hand you can get parts to mount the GS (or GS type) mirrors fairly easily.

The mirrors you have are still in demand for the older RT's so you should be able to sell them fairly easily & buy proper fitting GS mirrors & mounting parts.

Afternoon Deek

With enough time money & ingenuity about anything is possible. On your 2013 RT, those mirrors (shown), will be a REAL DIFFICULT task to mount & make look nice.

Your 2013 RT has completely different switch pods than are needed to mount those K-RS type mirrors.

On the other hand you can get parts to mount the GS (or GS type) mirrors fairly easily.

The mirrors you have are still in demand for the older RT's so you should be able to sell them fairly easily & buy proper fitting GS mirrors & mounting parts.

You might be correct on the looks and hassle to mount the circa 2006 K mirros on my 2013 RT. I've seen auxilliary mirror kits from A&S and others that run about $220 per pair. I'd sure rather stick with my current mirrors thought.....got MANY places to put that $220 to better use! :P

BTW, can anyone figure out the purpose of those holes in the 2010+ RT's clutch/brake device on the handlebar? Is THAT not for a supplemental mirror? And if so, what mirrors? And why not use them? Oh, I bet the answer is "cause only genuine BMW mirrors would fit/work, and they cost $900 per pair" or something like that! :cry:

I've fitted Wunderlich mirrors (and mirror adapters ) to my 2012 1200RT and am very happy with the result - which is better rear vision.

file_zps8826d353.jpg

file_zps4d31dceb.jpg

The problem with the OEM fairing mirrors is that about a third of the image in the mirror is your fist and levers creating an even larger than usual blind spot.

The accessory mirrors offer much better vision - so much so that you find yourself looking at the handlebar mirrors first and then the fairing mirrors as an afterthought.

They are easy to fit, 4-way adjustable, and fold out of the way in the event of a tip-over (or in my case a blow over)

Not cheap but then again neither is changing lanes into the side of a car.

• 2 weeks later...

Those do look nice. For the time being I've decided to not add aux mirrows, even though on my last two RT's I've had them. Need to ease into the list of all the "stuff" I want to add to this bike!

Thanks for the photos, appreciate it.

Archived