IGNORED

Can you Shorten the R1150RT Centrestand?

Aussiegazza

I have been contemplating trying to lower the centrestand after lowering the bike 1".

Looking at the centrestand, I see that:

1. The centrestand crossbar fits into a groove in the exhaust; and

2. The foot lever is on the very end of the centrestand and JUST clears the rear of the left foot pedal mount.

I feel therefore to shorten the centrestand, you must:

1. Do the shortening AFTER the crossbar, this will make the foot lever hit the pedal mount.

2. Angle the foot lever further back (and possibly lengthen it) to clear the foot pedal and ensure that the lever's 'stop' hits the correct spot on the bike.

My questions are:

1. would the foot lever hit the ground before the stand is fully in place? and

2. anyone done this?

Garry

I took some pics as I like a challenge:

100_3215_zps76147fb8.jpg

100_3216_zps3a7bd026.jpg

100_3217_zps49c5520b.jpg

The foot lever acts as the leg of a triangle. It stops the forward movement of the stand.

Therefore it cannot have its angle changed (much) so that it will clear the foot pedal.

Perhaps the lever could be moved so that it is before the foot pedal. It may interfere with the side lever though.

The angle of the centre stand could then be adjusted by a moving the lever up the stand a bit.

A 'stop' would need to be added to the pedal plate, though another approach could be a soft pad where the stand goes under the exhaust.

As I said, I like a challenge and may give it a try.

Quick update:

If the leg is shortened just beyond the connecting bar, the lever may go underneath the peg without too much interference. May be easy enough to get a toe on it (or something to start it lowering) and then move your foot onto the lever.

Anyway.... anyone shortened the centre stand?

Garry

Why would you do that? Is it too hard for you to put the bike on the center stand? If so, mount a GS paralever shorter arm and that will make things easier.

Or give us the reason why and perhaps other solutions are available ;)

Dan.

Lever length is important, its how the bike gets lifted onto the stand. Changing the angle can also effect how it sits after the bike is on the stand.

is your bike lowered?

When working on my R1100RT, I had the bike by the handlebar and lifting handle. That little lever broke off the stand while I was putting the bike on its center stand. The bike went over away from me while I stood there dumbfounded.

Luckily nothing hurt. I stood the bike back up, welded the foot back on. That was 3 ir 4 years ago.

Morning Garry

I shortened one years ago for a friend. Depending on how much you need or want to shorten the stand it is an engineering project.

I shortened the stand below the crossbar so the crossbar still cleared the muffler.

I'm really not sure how much I ultimately removed as I did a few small cuts (then temp. tack weld) to see what the issues & clearances were going to be.

I had to cut & grind the pedal (top plate) to clear the foot peg, then welded a bit longer & bent more) extension plate that cleared the foot peg & still allowed solid boot access.

Had to move the up-stop bracket on the stand to allow that to properly contact the stop.

All in all took about an hour to do a few cuts, bends, reworks & tack welds to get it to work correctly (done on the bike) then removal for final tig welding & metal finishing at my welding bench. The stand was then sent out for powder coating.

It worked good for years & as far as I know he never drug the ground with it (the lowered bike did drag the lower belly plastic & foot pegs a lot though).

If you only use the centre-stand in your garage, the easy solution is to simply put a plank on the floor so that only the rear-wheel in on it when stopped. The bike then pops up onto the stand with ease - that is how I dealt with my lowered RT.

Andy

If you only use the centre-stand in your garage, the easy solution is to simply put a plank on the floor so that only the rear-wheel in on it when stopped. The bike then pops up onto the stand with ease - that is how I dealt with my lowered RT.

Andy

This is optimum as it allows a new owner to convert back to stock fairly easily

by swapping shocks.

Thanks Dirtrider.

Your approach sounds like the only option to lower the stand.

Stopping with a wheel on a block of wood is probably the easiest fix though.

And yes, I have lowered my bike by 1".

It is a chore to get onto the centre stand when fully loaded.

I was using the centre stand more before I shortened my side stand as I could not always park with the LHS being lower than the RHS, resulting in the bike being very upright or actually leaning to the right.

For other readers:

I have bought second hand or new replacement parts to modify and lower the bike. I will keep the originals so that it can be reverted back to standard if and when I eventually sell the bike.

Thanks all.

Garry

Archived