IGNORED

Warning regarding BMW saddlebag liners

ChrisRappl

Just want to pass this along to help avoid a sad experience. I opted for the BMW saddlebag liners this time around. They appear to be very high quality, however, I have discovered a potential problem. The sidewalls are so stiff that on occasion (maybe 1 out of 4 times) in the process of opening and closing the saddlebags, they unhook the retainer strap from its keyhole type mount and will allow the lid to fall to 180 degrees. With the bike on the centerstand they clear the ground. With the bike on the sidestand the left bag can touch the pavement and scratch the lid. If you have the BMW liners pay close attention to the strap. I am going to see about ty-wraping or otherwise fastening it into place so that it can still swivel but not disconnect. bncry.gif

Just want to pass this along to help avoid a sad experience. I opted for the BMW saddlebag liners this time around. They appear to be very high quality, however, I have discovered a potential problem. The sidewalls are so stiff that on occasion (maybe 1 out of 4 times) in the process of opening and closing the saddlebags, they unhook the retainer strap from its keyhole type mount and will allow the lid to fall to 180 degrees. With the bike on the centerstand they clear the ground. With the bike on the sidestand the left bag can touch the pavement and scratch the lid. If you have the BMW liners pay close attention to the strap. I am going to see about ty-wraping or otherwise fastening it into place so that it can still swivel but not disconnect. bncry.gif

Another reason to stay away from the BMW bag liners. I got them with my R12GS, and didn't like them because they were just too stiff and thick. I got the Kathy's Journey bags for my RT, and really like them. Color matched, softer material, hold more and half the price.

My buddy and I both got the ones by "Cruiserbackrest". He sells them on EBAY for $49.95 "buy it now" and $10 shipping. They're as good (IMHO) or better than the Kathy's bag liners I had for my K-bike and sold for more than these cost me (sweet!). They also came with a nice shoulder strap for lugging them to and from the bike, and they fit very well.

Sorry to hear about your lid getting scratched. But good that you posted to warn others.

St0nkingByte

I ordered the cruiser backrest ones as well. They should be here anyday now. I'm hoping to somehow convert one into my daily commuting bag because right now I'm jamming a backpack into the case that doesn't quite fit.

This post is a good warning though, it never occured to me that you could slip off that strap and have the case swing all the way open!

I had a similar problem when I stuffed my tank bag into the sidecase. I thought I busted the strap at first.

I caught the lid before it went to far.

My cruiser backrest bags arrived yesterday. Nice bags for 1/2 the price of the competition. For you cheapskates out there if you order from their website you can save $2.00 over the ebay price grin.gif

My cruiser backrest bags arrived yesterday. Nice bags for 1/2 the price of the competition. For you cheapskates out there if you order from their website you can save $2.00 over the ebay price grin.gif

Good choice Dave. You know what they say: The cheapest thing on a BMW is the driver! grin.gif

Ok, dumb question here. What's the point of the liners? I mean, the saddlebags are like suitcases, have their own handle and come off the bike easily. Aren't the liners just taking up space? confused.gif

Jim

For me the liners are easier to lay on the bed and pack or un-pack. Cases are kind of a pain to pack and everything falls out if you open them on the bike. Also the liners make nice soft luggage that can be used for vacations in the cage or other things. I almost forgot you can grab the liners, toss them in the motel room and still have a place on the bike to put groceries (Beer) when you run to the store.

You certainly can use the saddlebags without liners. I got used to Kathy's bags on my R1100RT. You can pack unpack and carry the liners in and out of where you are staying without removing or emptying the saddlebags. Especially with these new painted bags, I prefer to leave them on the bike and just carry the liners. A lot of times we remove the packed liners, leave them in the room and make a run for food and/or drinks, the saddlebags are attached and empty, just waiting.

Ok, dumb question here. What's the point of the liners? I mean, the saddlebags are like suitcases, have their own handle and come off the bike easily. Aren't the liners just taking up space? confused.gif

Jim

Well, yes, they do take up a little space, but not a whole lot. I like bag liners because sometimes you may have ridden through rain or mud or whatever, so the exterior of the saddlebag may be dirty, and not something you want to lay down on top of a bedspread or bureau. I find the liners to be easier to carry around than the hard bags too.

Oh, and I have the BMW liners for the GS and am quite happy with them.

Exploreinman

Has anyone seen both of these products (Kathy's & Cruiserbackrest) and therefore give us an comparison evaluation between the two? My FJR1300ABS came with saddlebag liners, and I agree that they are very convenient for traveling . I will definitely purchase a set for my 05RT, but I'd like to hear a comparison between these two brands. Is there any reason to pay $50 more for Kathy's Journey Bags over the Cruiserbackrest bags?

P.S. I've only had this bike for two weeks and I absolutely love it!

Exploreinman

Has anyone seen both of these products (Kathy's & Cruiserbackrest) and therefore give us an comparison evaluation between the two? My FJR1300ABS came with saddlebag liners, and I agree that they are very convenient for traveling . I will definitely purchase a set for my 05RT, but I'd like to hear a comparison between these two brands. Is there any reason to pay $50 more for Kathy's Journey Bags over the Cruiserbackrest bags?

P.S. I've only had this bike for two weeks and I absolutely love it!

Exploreinman

Hey Explorinman,

I have had both type of bags, as I mentioned in my previous post, I sold a set of Kathy's bags from my 03 K12GT to finance the Cruisebackrest bags (and had money left over... how cool is that?).

The Cruiser bags as every bit as good if not a little better. The have a velcro closure on the 2 top handles to "seal" them together, and a nice shoulder strap which attaches to a pair of rings in case you over packed and want to sling them over your shoulder. Delivery was lightning fast, 2 days from placing order. and they fit the R12RT bag very well, with little wasted space. Kathy's K-bags never fit my GT that well. Kathy's is a quality product too, but why spend twice the coin when you can get every bit as good a product, if not better?

Don, another clarification re: Cruiserback Liners...I ordered mine on Dec 07 and no sign of them yet. They did however deduct the price plus shipping from my PayPal account on Dec 07!!.

I have been alowing for some delay due to Xmas parcels clogging up the mails, but its is getting to the point where I am starting to wonder where the heck they are!!

Jim

Don, another clarification re: Cruiserback Liners...I ordered mine on Dec 07 and no sign of them yet. They did however deduct the price plus shipping from my PayPal account on Dec 07!!.

I have been alowing for some delay due to Xmas parcels clogging up the mails, but its is getting to the point where I am starting to wonder where the heck they are!!

Jim

Jim, you should go to their website, get their phone number and call. I got mine to Maine in 2 days a week before xmas. Something went wrong if you don't have them.

Jim

Yep better call them. Mine arrived in 4 days.

Hey, guess we better be careful what we say on this board...the Cruiserback bag liners came today in the mail eek.gif

Hmmm, wonder what else I can 'telepathically' get to pop thru the mail slot wink.gif

Spring riding weather would be my first choice smile.gif

By the way, the liners look first class, and I can't wait to fill them and hit the road thumbsup.gif

Jim

Thanks for the tip on the bags,my kids gave us a set for xmas and just tried fitting a few times and bingo! the strap is unhooked.

Simple fix, Small cable tie or zip tie through loop in the strap and down through the slotted hole , holds in place and still swivels but cant pop out , if it did the tie still feeps it together Hudo thumbsup.gif

I sure hope that you guys are right. I just ordered from Cruiserback.

Back in the day I ordered a trunk for my ST1300 and it arrived in 4 days w/o any problems what so ever. I have no concerns with shopping with them.

I received my CruiserBackrest bags last night. They're very nice and look like a good value for the money.

The very first thing I did when I put a bag into the case to see how they fit was catch and unhook the cord holding the lid!

Archived