IGNORED

Camhead Front Tire Wear, left side of course

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Curious to see who else might be seeing a lot of wear on the front tire left side? Unrounded, i.e. flat, wear on the front with 5000 miles on the bike and the bridgestone tire.

I noticed it because of a PTTL instead of PTTR.

No worries.

I had a chat with a Michelin field rep and he told me "We know those [bridgestone] tyres well".

He explained to me the problem on the BT021 and BT023 fronts is owed to overtly stiff construction which, when coupled with the boxer's peculiarity, can lead to exactly those wear issues you are seeing. On heavier machines (like the Kawasaki C14 or the Honda ST1300) this may lead to a completely bald front tyre in under 4000 miles. Guess how I know. :grin:

Bridgestone seems to have problems matching Michelin's ability to couple excellent performances with long thread life and even wear, as proven by the fact they are churning out one touring tyre after another.

Their latest offering, the T30, will hit the shelves this Spring and will leverage heavily on the same technology as the high performance R10 and S20. I have S20's on the Honda and so far I am very happy with them, although it seems they are wearing considerably faster than Michelin Power Pure...

The only thing I'd like to add is that low air pressure can lead to some pretty weird wear on tires especially the front tire. Just in case I'll run +2 to avoid any issues.

tsp

Bike Blog

2010 R1200RT

1998 VTR1000F

Bet you have BT023s on your RT. I had them on my 2011 and had very unusual front tire wear, too. I trashed the pair of them at 7K, had Michelin PR3s installed and became a happy camper again. Too soon to tell about the PR3's wear but the handling and comfort improvements were huge.

I wonder what BMW is thinking, putting that junk on their $20K motorcycles.

pete

Handling and comfort "improvements" occur with ANY new tire when comparing to a tire with 7K miles.

Very true, but the PR2's that I currently have with 12K miles handle better then the Bridgestones did at 5K. I replaced the OEM Bridgestones at 7K with maybe 1K left in them due to handling issue's.

Mark

Handling and comfort "improvements" occur with ANY new tire when comparing to a tire with 7K miles.

The construction of the Bridgestones is much stiffer than the Michelin. I was going to get new shocks until I put on the PR3s. The ride is much better and can probably tolerate the stock suspension until it wears out.

Archived