IGNORED

Must sees in Jasper, their Glacier and Banff that are off the beaten path

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Planning a very quick visit to the plains just east of Edmonton in July. I"m making it a ride to allow cancellation if work demands it. Even if I don't cancel, it'll have to be fairly quick. 2 days up, 2 days there, 3 days back.

My route has me going fairly quickly up to Kalispell'ish, overnighting, then through our Glacier NP and then up and out to the plains.

On the return, I'm thinking of allowing a day to go through Jasper and their Glacier, stopping overnight near Banff or Kootenay and then dropping back down into the states from their or over near Trail.

Questions: Our Glacier doesn't seem too amenable to a great deal of non-hiker sightseeing other than that on US 2. Is that correct?

Is Jasper and their Glacier, as well as Banff and Kootenay pretty much the same? Any suggestions for easily accessed must sees is appreciated as well.

As far as Glacier goes you are mostly correct but missed a small road near the West Entrance. You have great rides available both to and from the park (Glacier) pretty much no matter what roads you take on the west side of the park. On the east side you also have good to great roads as long as you stay near the mountains. Even the straight roads on the east side are worth traveling because of the scenery which ranges from bleak to sublime. I am going to tell you one of my favorites that I have told no one about for 40 years. Go to Yaak, Montana. Look it up and you will find the road I am talking about. Caution, it has the highest amount of bear shit on the road of any road in Montana and some very blind corners. Some of the Grizzlies back in there go around 800 lbs!!! Don't camp by yourself!!! Don't! Some of the griz back there seem to have permanent tooth aches and destroy anything they come across. Be prepared for annoying border crossings. There are other ways across the border but they involve a lot of trouble also.

Yes the Canadian parks are pretty much the same for roads you have to remember is VERY expensive to build roads in this type of country in both money and lives. Be grateful that there are some.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Critical,

thanks! Going to be hard to pass up anyplace called Yaak. At least the town will be on the list. Might adjust the return route a tad to go through there too.

Danny:

Hope to get more time next week to answer in more detail, but I think you may be a bit ambitious. Don't get me wrong, I do 600 mile days but the roads you are planning on including are SLOW due to mountain terrain, summer traffic, LEO presence and wildlife conditions. Much of what you are planning to do you will only average 45-50 MPH (at least on the Canadian side).

"Must sees" - Moraine Lake, Mt Edith Cavell near Jasper (but I hope they have repaved the road), Alberta Hwy 40 & 541 through Kananaskis & Highwood Pass

More later

Michael Cassidy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Michael

Thanks for the road info. That is some of what I was a bit worried about. I cut out a Chisholm Mills drive by (wrong direction)....unless someone else wants to drive up there on the weekend in their rental car.

Lot of cool things to see up that way from your reports. At the very least, going to have to make the first and second return day flexible for distance/time and overnight stop location.

Some of the CN park sights can be trimmed on the fly.

If one is going out to Vegreville, should one take the main freeways or backroads when closer to Edmonton?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Whip

I too found that spot hotel surfing after realizing P o W Hotel doesn't have an elevator to the 6th floor room available. Don't mind stairs but, not in gear and the soft bags or, just to go get a cup of coffee.

Danny:

Unless there is construction planned for this summer, it is probably better to just use Hwy 16 to go through Edmonton. All the bypasses have their own problems and it is situated fairly far north of the downtown.

I wouldn't stay at the PoW myself,the wind howls off the lake and the 100 year old windows rattle away all night. There aren't really any other notable places to stay in Waterton since the Kilmorey Lodge burnt down. I would probably stay on the US side at Many Glacier Lodge or East Glacier. There are also some very affordable little places in East Glacier.

Lobby Glacier Park Lodge

Earlier you asked about getting through/around Glacier park. US 2 around the south edge of the park is efficient, but unspectacular. As long as you are on the road before 8am, the GTTS road is the way to go. It is just as fast as going around the park and is (in my opinion) one of the "must see" roads in the area.

Mike Cassidy

Archived