IGNORED

Bad Vavle Stems

bugsquawsher

The parts guy at BMW of Tampa Bay (now 'Eurocycles') had one fail on his Triumph about a month ago. Bike is pretty new, and this was the tire I believe, but definitely the original stem.

I don't understand. It is standard procedure to replace the valve stems every time you replace the tires. I used to think this was an unnecessary expense but I've learned to accept it. The guys at the shop where I bring my tires to be changed cut the old one off with a razor knife and put a new one in prior to reinflating. When that is done, I haven't heard of one failing. I haven't seen a tire changed w/o a new stem since I left MO in the late 70's. Now even new valve stems can have slight leakthru so if this is what you're talking about I use quality chromed metal valve stem caps with an o-ring seal. --Jerry

--Jerry

bugsquawsher

Yea thats what I thought too

But the guy that I get tires from says he would look them over , if they looked good he didnt' change them.

He said they do it on cars cause the typically get more miles out of a tire than a Bike does. So this Usually means the valve stems on Bikes get to be used on several tires.

Anywho.

I replaced Mine with those Metal ones that you Bolt in.

Now that SOB won't leak.

And I carry a spare now.

See my post of a week or so ago ... I've had two front values self-destruct in the last 4 years. last one at 130kph on the freeway.

The metal screwin valves are cheap life insurance - should be mandatory!

Paul

See my post of a week or so ago ... I've had two front values self-destruct in the last 4 years. last one at 130kph on the freeway.

The metal screwin valves are cheap life insurance - should be mandatory!

Paul

Yet another reason why I think I'll be setting up my own tire change facility in the garage.--Jerry

Sabotage?

Re carrying a spare, it's not going to do you a lot of good unless you can remove the tire from the rim. Then you will need a compressor to reseat the bead.

I always get my stems replaced with tyres as well.

3k km ago I replaced my front Macadams 100x with a Pilot Road and added a 90 degree stem. Have found it makes checking and adjusting tyre pressure that much easier. No fighting the hose between the disks etc and no great gush of ait when checking pressure.

This week the rear is due for replacement too so I will also be swapping to a 90 degree stem.

Archived