IGNORED

Valve Adjustment Question

rlusher

I recently adjusted the valves on my r1100rt. Now, when the engine is running (particularly after it warms up a bit), I hear a ticking sound coming from both sides of the engine ("tick-a-tick-a-tick-a"). When I stoop down close, I can tell it is coming from inside the valve covers. Is it possible I adjusted the clearance too small? If so, is it critical I readjust them now, or is it safe to wait until next adjustment?

PS - For those of you that chimed in on my fuel pump issue. Thanks, first of all, and second, I reversed the fuel pump connectors and it fired with no problem. Don't know for sure if that was the issue, but it is running nonetheless. :)

-Rick

Afternoon Rick

Difficult to tell over the internet as we can't hear or see it.

If you hear a noise now that you didn't hear before then definitely re-check your valve adjustment settings. If you hear abnormal clicking they would probably to loose not too tight but a slight ticking is normal.

If you find the adjustment correct then you might have other issues, like excessive rocker arm side movement, or something else like cam chain rattle.

When checking your valve adjustment be sure the cylinder being checked is at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke not the exhaust stroke.

On your fuel pump polarity response-- you might want to add that as a close out to the original thread so future readers can gain some knowledge from the thread if they have a similar problem & research finds that thread.

A somewhat common mistake folks can make with valve adjustments is to get mm confused with inches. The valve clearances are .003" intake, .006" exhaust. Or .075 mm intake and .15 mm exhaust. You would not be the first to set them to .0075" and .015"

Just sayin'.....

A somewhat common mistake folks can make with valve adjustments is to get mm confused with inches. The valve clearances are .003" intake, .006" exhaust. Or .075 mm intake and .15 mm exhaust. You would not be the first to set them to .0075" and .015"

Just sayin'.....

Valve Clearance

Intake = .006in. (.15mm)

Exhaust = .012in. (.30mm)

I recently adjusted the valves on my r1100rt. Now, when the engine is running (particularly after it warms up a bit), I hear a ticking sound coming from both sides of the engine ("tick-a-tick-a-tick-a"). When I stoop down close, I can tell it is coming from inside the valve covers. Is it possible I adjusted the clearance too small? If so, is it critical I readjust them now, or is it safe to wait until next adjustment?

PS - For those of you that chimed in on my fuel pump issue. Thanks, first of all, and second, I reversed the fuel pump connectors and it fired with no problem. Don't know for sure if that was the issue, but it is running nonetheless. :)

-Rick

Did you also check the rocker arms play? That play also has to deal with the ticking noise from inside of the engine.

Dan.

Thanks guys. Have not checked rocker arms, but will. Will also double-check clearances.

Do I need to address this right away, or is it something I can do at next service???

When you check the intake is which is supposed to be.006", check with a .005" and .007". Same for exhaust.

Its an air cooled pushrod engine, they make some noise.

Rocker shafts only have to be done once.

David

Thanks guys. Have not checked rocker arms, but will. Will also double-check clearances.

Do I need to address this right away, or is it something I can do at next service???

The allowable spec on end play is enormous, and it's a fiddly procedure, so dealers rarely do it. Excellent illustrated guide here: Oilhead Rocker End Play Adjustment for Dummies

The only hard part is screwing up your courage to make a 180° turn on a cylinder head stud after preliminary torquing. Don't worry about trying to get to the minimum spec; better is to try to get both ends exactly the same. If you are lucky, you'll get it right on the first try; if not, try, try again.

You don't mention the mileage on your RT, but it sounds like a rocker arm end play issue. This is a commonly overlooked detail that leads to the ticking you describe. Once addressed, your RT should be quiet as a sewing machine.

If you need help, I'm in Jax & would be most happy to take you through the procedure of setting end play, as well as any other questions you may have. Just shoot me a PM.

If you need help, I'm in Jax & would be most happy to take you through the procedure of setting end play, as well as any other questions you may have. Just shoot me a PM.

Let me know if you guys do that. I'd like to watch.

Thanks,

----

Morning rlusher

You really should at least re-check the cold valve adjustment. The valve adjustment can be off a little with no adverse issues but if off enough, & you keep riding the bike, then you could eventually end up with valve damage or valve seat damage.

The rocker arm end-play can wait as that is only a slight noise type issue & even then only a lower RPM noise. At high RPM's the valves move so fast there isn't enough time for the rocker to move sideways enough to make much noise.

When re-checking the valve adjustment, once you have the valves in the adjustment TDC compression position (loose rocker arms), just grab each rocker arm & give it a hearty slide back & forth on the shaft (up & down). If you get a light tick or very very light click then it isn't a noisy one. If you get a definite clack or noticeable movement with a defined click/clack as you move it to extremes then that one will/or could be a bit noisy.

If the valves didn't make a ticking noise before you adjusted them and they do now then it will be because one or more has been adjusted too wide. A tight valve is likely to make less noise, not more. Also, whilst end float adjustment at the minimum end of the permitted gap will quieten the engine, again, if the engine didn't make the noise before you adjusted the valve clearances then I doubt that end float will the cause of the noise now. As has been said, you shouldn't need to adjust the end float once it has been done as adjusting the valves has no bearing on end float adjustment. A worn butterfly spindle in the throttle body, usually the r/h one will also cause ticking, but again this is not dependent on valve adjustment. You must have set them incorrectly.

Archived