IGNORED

Is the Mobile 1 M1-102 oil filter really OK?

haildamage

saw the Mobile 1 M1-102 oil filter listed in the archive for R-bike maintenance part data.

i can get this filter easily at the local auto shop. it is smaller than the stock filter. is this filter OK to use on my 1996 R1100RT? or should i track down the OEM filter?

thanks,

eric smile.gif

The only thing I can say is that a number of us have used various name-brand aftermarket filters for years with no issues.

Can this filter be used on a 2002 R1150RT?

Yup! Same filter, in fact any filter that is listed for a late model Dodge Neon will work on the RTs thumbsup.gif

I noticed that also my -98 4Runner (V6) uses the same oil filter as the oilheads. At least the Purolator part# for the 4Runner is same as the one that works for oilheads. And they also fits perfectly. Very convenient.

--

Mikko

This is good news

Now if I could Find one that was about an inch Longer than the stock one.

Do you really want to use your oil filter as a skid plate? eek.gif

bugsquawsher

Skid Plat???

Lets see

I ride an RT

The filter bottom is more than an inch Higher from the ground than the bottom of the engine, and fits up in a hole.

Plus the Tupperware is what,,,, Another couple of inches lower than that? No its no protectios but, if I hit my oil filter on something using it as a skid plate I have bigger problems than fuggin up a 5 dollar filter.

I don't off road My RT too much, It dont' like it.

So why a longer filter you ask?

More filtration, (not that I really need it) But more must be better.

Also it would be easier to Grab that little Bastard to put it on and off. I wouldn't have to buy that stupid Special Oil filter Wrench. I could use a standard one.

On a different note.

I looked at the specs on the Wix version for the Dodge Neon and it says the thread size and pitch was a 3/4-16

If I'm not mistaken, BMWs are all Metric?

converted that comes out to a 19.05mm X 1.58 turns per mm

I guess thats close enough to a 19 X 1.5

I'm takin a 3/4-16 bolt home tonight to test on the old filter.

Also it would be easier to Grab that little Bastard to put it on and off. I wouldn't have to buy that stupid Special Oil filter Wrench. I could use a standard one.
You can use a standard one on the 1150, it's a Fram type B, take a filter to the auto store and you will find it fits exactly.
This is good news

Now if I could Find one that was about an inch Longer than the stock one.

Do you really want to use your oil filter as a skid plate? eek.gif

Hmm.. sounds like a cheap RT enhancement! clap.gifgrin.gifclap.gif

Here is an interesting article for you. Lets see how much cr-- this will stir up!!

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Well, at least there's something concrete there but I think it's full of a lot of 'it looks good so it is good, it looks bad so it is bad' logic which doesn't always reflect reality.

Bottom line, I would be willing to bet that you could use one of the filters judged worst or one of the filters judged best in two bikes, run them for 200k miles, and not see the slightest difference in engine wear between them.

But what fun is that? On with the thread...

bugsquawsher
You can use a standard one on the 1150, it's a Fram type B, take a filter to the auto store and you will find it fits exactly.

I had one of those

I had to cut each and every corner to make it fit. then I had to Grind off the lip that goes around the outside.

It works. well enough.

bugsquawsher
Here is an interesting article for you. Lets see how much cr-- this will stir up!!

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Well, at least there's something concrete there but I think it's full of a lot of 'it looks good so it is good, it looks bad so it is bad' logic which doesn't always reflect reality.

Bottom line, I would be willing to bet that you could use one of the filters judged worst or one of the filters judged best in two bikes, run them for 200k miles, and not see the slightest difference in engine wear between them.

But what fun is that? On with the thread...

True

I have seen that test before on the car filters. Very interesting. I had a PH8A out of my ford Tractor that I cut open.

It didnt' look anything like the one they have on these websites. It was metal on both ends.

And I did the 3/4-16 Bolt test on my old BMW OEM filter and it fit like a glove

clap.gif

I had one of those

I had to cut each and every corner to make it fit. then I had to Grind off the lip that goes around the outside.

It works. well enough.

Then you had the wrong one, mine fits perfectly with no alteration needed, I know of a number of others here with the same experience.
Skid Plat???

Lets see

I ride an RT

The filter bottom is more than an inch Higher from the ground than the bottom of the engine, and fits up in a hole.

Plus the Tupperware is what,,,, Another couple of inches lower than that? No its no protectios but, if I hit my oil filter on something using it as a skid plate I have bigger problems than fuggin up a 5 dollar filter.

I don't off road My RT too much, It dont' like it.

So why a longer filter you ask?

More filtration, (not that I really need it) But more must be better.

On a different note.

I looked at the specs on the Wix version for the Dodge Neon and it says the thread size and pitch was a 3/4-16

If I'm not mistaken, BMWs are all Metric?

converted that comes out to a 19.05mm X 1.58 turns per mm

I guess thats close enough to a 19 X 1.5

I'm takin a 3/4-16 bolt home tonight to test on the old filter.

Sounds like I stirred up something...sorry. That was a tongue in cheek remark, not meant to upset you grin.gif

The Neon filter does work, I have used several brands and they all fit. The only problem that I have seen is with NAPA brand. It fits, but the filter wrench is too big, I bought a cheap one at autozone that does. thumbsup.gif

bugsquawsher
Sounds like I stirred up something...sorry. That was a tongue in cheek remark, not meant to upset you grin.gif

The Neon filter does work, I have used several brands and they all fit. The only problem that I have seen is with NAPA brand. It fits, but the filter wrench is too big, I bought a cheap one at autozone that does. thumbsup.gif

Well Maybe a little, But I got over it thumbsup.gif

I like the Napa Filter, Its made by Wix. Well constructed filter and a third the cost of the OEM filter. Now thanks to yall I know which one to get.

Thanks All

BucksTherapy
Skid Plat???

Lets see

I have been using K&N's KN163. I geneallry cut every filter open when I take them off to see if there is metal in there. After having cut both the stock and K&N open the differences are obvious:

K&N use o-rings instead of crimps to seal the filter element to the can.

K$N uses a peice of almost flat spring steel to hold the filer up against the seal and BMW ues a spring.

Both filters are paper but look like good quality. K&N dye theirs red?

On the whole K&Ns quality seems a little better but the clencher is the 17MM nut that is welded to the bottom of the K&N. It makes it absolutely simple to put on and take off.

They both are expensive $14-$15 compared to the comp but they are both designed specifically for the BMW with proper thread, heavier guage case and a similar filters.

PS The reason the filter wrenches don't always fit is BMW makes a 14 facet filter and after market are generally 15 facet.

Archived