IGNORED

12K service tomorrow .... thoughts?

RTinNC

My 2006 R1200RT is going in for the 24K service tomorrow ...I do the fluids myself ... so in addition to the valves and TB Synch what else? Had the brakes flushed last year but did not have the control unit done?? What about the alternator belt? I believe on my 1150GS I did that at 24K even though the manual said 30K ... think there was discussion on the GS site and many suggested doing it at 24K. Fuel filter???

Anything else I am missing??

The fuel filter is considered a permanent item. The alternater belt should be replaced every 24k according to BMW. I stretched that to every 36K on my 07 (even at that mileage it still looked good) but that was about every 18 months. Considering the age of your belt, I would replace it.

The fuel filter is considered a permanent item. The alternater belt should be replaced every 24k according to BMW. I stretched that to every 36K on my 07 (even at that mileage it still looked good) but that was about every 18 months. Considering the age of your belt, I would replace it.

Thanks for the info!

Morning RTinNC

There really isn't a 24,000 mile service so you will need to fill in the things that haven't been done when they were supposed to have been done.

There are also some things that require an annual or in some cases every 2 year maintenance regardless of the miles traveled. (like transmissions gear oil, final drive, brakes, etc)

Then you have some things that aren't on your original service sheets but have been changed with a BMW service bulletin (like final drive gear oil change every 12000 miles or 2 years)

So, my suggestion is to call your dealer & have him enter you bike's serial number in his computer then print you out a CURRENT up-to-date Maintenance schedule specifically for YOUR bike. Then do what that requests based on your mileage & TIME since last time/mileage requested services were done.

Morning RTinNC

There really isn't a 24,000 mile service so you will need to fill in the things that haven't been done when they were supposed to have been done.

There are also some things that require an annual or in some cases every 2 year maintenance regardless of the miles traveled. (like transmissions gear oil, final drive, brakes, etc)

Then you have some things that aren't on your original service sheets but have been changed with a BMW service bulletin (like final drive gear oil change every 12000 miles or 2 years)

So, my suggestion is to call your dealer & have him enter you bike's serial number in his computer then print you out a CURRENT up-to-date Maintenance schedule specifically for YOUR bike. Then do what that requests based on your mileage & TIME since last time/mileage requested services were done.

Agreed ....but I still consider it a 24K service since there are 6K and 12k intervals on most everything. I am in great shape though. Valves and TB's done, both brake systems done, Clutch fluid done and belt changed. So my next 6K should be simple and cheap :clap: I will do the oil, filter and gear fluid today and then the final drive in the spring as it was done at 18K just over a year ago. Funny but maintenance seems to be getting cheaper as it ages.

Thanks!

Clutch fluid?

I've had my 2007RT since 2009 and put 72,000 miles on it (now on 77k) and don't recall a clutch fluid change requirment.

Is that on the BMW schedule that's been missed on my bike I wonder?

\v/

Clutch fluid?

I've had my 2007RT since 2009 and put 72,000 miles on it (now on 77k) and don't recall a clutch fluid change requirment.

\v/

The clutch fluid on the 1200 is mineral oil and does not require periodic changing. If you do decide to change it, be sure to use the correct mineral oil and not DOT4.

Andy

Not that I think its a 12k service item, its on 24k i think? But watch JVB's YouTube video on replacing the alternator belt. After reading sob and horror stories of people struggling to change them and forking out for tools it was a doodle after watching the vid!!

Clutch fluid?

\v/

The clutch fluid on the 1200 is mineral oil and does not require periodic changing. If you do decide to change it, be sure to use the correct mineral oil and not DOT4.

Andy

Hmmm..... I am just not a believer that ANY fluid is lifetime fluid so after 6 years mine is now fresh! They used BMW Hydraulic Clutch Fluid which I believe is mineral oil.

Archived