IGNORED

Touring Apparel Reccomendations

GearedForACure

GearedForACure

Im sure this is a personal preference thing, but does anyone have any reccomendations for touring apparel? jacket, pants, gloves, boots.

Is there a jacket that will work well in warm weather as well as cold weather?

Thanks!

Try doing a search on riding apparel and you'll find lots of recommendations and reviews. Also, the folks at the BMW dealer are very helpful finding gear that suits your needs.

Im sure this is a personal preference thing, but does anyone have any reccomendations for touring apparel? jacket, pants, gloves, boots.

Thanks!

I picked up a Hein Greckie (sp?) jacket this summer and am very impressed, it's the 3/4 lenth touring model. I think I paid $299, it compared to the BMW jackets but was a LOT cheaper and came with the liner(the salesman at the BMW shop pointed this out, Marin BMW is great!). I'm also a fan of the Marsee products, very well made as well as the Rev It pants. My only recommendation is to look for CE rated armor, I read on a lot of sites it is far superior to the stuff that some of the cheaper maufactures use (think Joe Rocket). The CE rating is a very strict European rating, I wouldn't buy anything else. As far as boots, I think the best value out there is the Tour Master Solution boots, nice looking, comfortable and water proof for around $119 (maybe less online now).

Just my .02 worth,

Chris

I settled on the Santiago Jacket:

72607690-926.jpg

(I don't know why this image is so wrinkled looking, the real thing is fine looking)

and Santiago pants

72607691160-209.jpg

These are the BMW brand and, of course, they demand top dollar, or more. However, I am perfectly happy them. There are lots of pockets and vents plus all the normal safety stuff. I also went ahead and got the (not included) Gortex liners which are waterproof and comfortable, even if it's not raining.

I am, however, embarassed at how much $$ I dropped on these. I just had to close my eyes and hand over the Visa card. Come to think of it, that's about how I felt buying the 12RT too...

P.S. You can see the jacket in my avatar.

Good luck with your choice.

-Eric

ShovelStrokeEd

I have way too much gear and always have to face a decision when setting out on a long trip. A lot depends on your available storage and, of course, the weather you contemplate.

Local trips and summer riding often find me in my Airflow II gear. I have to then carry my BMW Klima Komfort rain suit and a wind breaker for unexpected cool nights. Early spring or late fall will also include the Gerbings heated jacket liner and some glove liners. No heated grips on my bikes.

Earlier spring or later fall, I'll swtich to my Belstaff Discovery jacket, keeping the Airflow pants or going with my Roadgear overpants. Both are waterproof with built in Goretex type linings so no rain suit. Gerbings remains in the mix.

Stupid hot weather will find me in a Joe Rocket Phoneix suit but I don't really feel all that safe in the full mesh. Also, there is a heat factor when riding my Blackbird that remains to be discovered in the hot part of the summer.

I also have a one piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter that is comfortable and quite versitle so long as the temps don't get much over 85 or so. High humidity is the real deal breaker here, the 'stitch provides more than enough air and so long as it's dry, evaporative cooling keeps me comfy at temps over 100.

A couple of constants are Oxtar Matrix boots. Gloves tend to vary with the season. BMW's touring gloves (short GS version) are great in hot weather. More protection comes from my Held Ceramics, heinous cold finds the Gerbings heated gloves and for rain, I use BMW summer rain model. Generally, I have all these gloves with me on all but the shortest rides. UnderArmor cold and hot weather longies or shorts complete the bottom layer. Oh yeah, diabetic socks provide venting, cushion and warmth with their more open weave. Cheap at K-mart as well. They don't last real long but, who cares at <$3.00 a pair.

Don't forget some form of helmet liner as well. Long days in the saddle in hot weather can lead to stinky helmet in a hurry and a good wind stopper type Balaclave is a wonder of comfort in the extreme cold.

About 5K bucks ought to get you just about all you need. grin.gif

Oops! Forgot the leather stuff. Hondaline conventional leather MC jacket and a Heine Gerrick 3/4 length, think Belstaff Discovery in leather along with some pants from the same maker. Can't forget the traditional stuff. I've had that Heine Gerrick jacket for more than 20 years, sure got my money's worth.

I think it comes down to how much money you want to spend, i have OSI mesh jacket and overpants, i like them both, i wear overpants on cold days over jeans. The underarmor is good stuff in summer and winter, dietbetic socks are good year round, i put a pair of insulated socks over them on cold days. I been wearing SWAT team boots for years, like the sipper on the side and they feel good and grip good thumbsup.gif

Aerostich Darien on top, with removable liner.

Dainese Musashi goretex pants on bottom with removeable liner.

Oxtar Matrix Goretex boots.

Revit hurricane gloves in summer, REvit celcius in winter (with heated grips)

Gerbings upper liner on top when needed.

The above setup I can do 15deg (with the gerbings, and long underwear) up to 110deg pretty comfortably. The key in the heat is to keep moving, and fill the pockets of both the darien and the musashi with ice for evaporative cooling, but, moving is the key.

Thanks!

I typically ride with Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and matching pants. The can zip together in the back to keep the draft off your back. I also have an Aerostich Darien which is fine too, but a little stiff compared to the Joe Rocket. I've used the Rocket stuff for 4 seasons now and it still works as good as new. I used the waterproof wash from Aerostich to reinforce the waterproofing every other year. I typically go for the brighter colors for visibility, and make sure whatever you get has reflective piping or bands on them. It's good to be seen!

For gloves just any good pair of lined gloves for below 30F or so, and summer gloves I use Olympia Gel palm. It feels like the air flows right through them... very comfortable. I'm on my 4th season on a pair of Hein Gericke (sp?) boots which are ok for riding, but you don't want to do much walking around in them.

Hi Geared - Welcome to the board,

In terms of "touring" gear, you can go cheaper than BMW gear and still get perfectly good gear, but it would be hard to get "better" gear, in other words, the BMW gear is excellent. If I had to buy one touring jacket today, it would be the BMW Savana 2 jacket - it is a great Fall-Summer-Spring jacket, highly conspiuous, well-padded, and it has been replaced by the Santiago jacket and existing stock of Savanna 2's are being sold at great discounts now. The Savanna 2 unzips to reveal mesh panels all the way up the sleeves and in the front and back, so it is very cool in Summer heat. You can also get a gore-tex liner for it, and/or a Gerbings electric heated liner.

I used to have a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket - it was a little heavier than the Sananna 2 and not quite as versatile, but the First Gear and Hein Gericke gear, which is made by te same manufacturer, Fairchild Sports, is all very nicely made and engineered gear and is less expensive than BMW gear.

I have a little bit of Joe Rocket gear for my sportbike riding - it's okay but generally not as high quality as the other brands I have mentioned.

I typically ride with Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and matching pants. The can zip together in the back to keep the draft off your back.

While this is certainly one observable effect, I can't help pointing out that the main reason for the jacket and pants to zip together is to keep the jacket from riding up your back as you're sliding down the pavement, thereby exposing unprotected skin. You can, of course, make your own decision about the tradeoff between risk and ventilation.

I typically ride with Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and matching pants. The can zip together in the back to keep the draft off your back.

While this is certainly one observable effect, I can't help pointing out that the main reason for the jacket and pants to zip together is to keep the jacket from riding up your back as you're sliding down the pavement, thereby exposing unprotected skin. You can, of course, make your own decision about the tradeoff between risk and ventilation.

I'm guessing you haven't looked at the Joe Rocket stuff. The zipper is only 4-5" in the back. In 31 years I haven't had the need for the sliding protection it might offer (knock wood), but that would be preferable to a case of roadrash on the back. As far as the zipper hindering ventilation, I don't notice that whatsoever. As a matter of fact, the Rocket stuff zipped together is far better ventilated than my Stich Darien jacket, which is why that gets left on the rack most days. On really hot days, I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh armored jacket. A compromise for sure, but certainly better than just a t-shirt.

I'm guessing you haven't looked at the Joe Rocket stuff. The zipper is only 4-5" in the back.

Um -

I don't mean to be a smarty-pants - but that zipper in the back, weather it is a small zipper on the back only, or a full zipper all the way wround the garment, it there to enhance the protection by holding the two pieces together. At many track days, the fast groups require a one-piece or all-around zipper at a mimimum, and slower groups may only require zip-together with the back zipper.

What draft would be on your back while riding with a jacket, besides a "draft" of air coming in through a loose collar?

Um -

I don't mean to be a smarty-pants - but that zipper in the back, weather it is a small zipper on the back only, or a full zipper all the way wround the garment, it there to enhance the protection by holding the two pieces together. At many track days, the fast groups require a one-piece or all-around zipper at a mimimum, and slower groups may only require zip-together with the back zipper.

What draft would be on your back while riding with a jacket, besides a "draft" of air coming in through a loose collar?

Um- Besides the fact that we somehow migrated from a zipper preventing a draft up your back to track day safety Bob... Some of us ride at temps below the freezing mark with regularity. 65mph at 15F gets a little chilly sometimes. When the jacket is zipped to the pants it doesn't ride up your back if you move around at all on the seat. I suppose if you're vertically challenged, it's not as much of a problem as it might be for us taller folks. But, that's what make newsgroups so much fun... You can give someone an opinion of something you like and others can find fault with it! If you had a point there, I missed it completely as far as any relavance to the thread. It certainly had nothing to do with track days, and of the several I've attended, I've never heard anyone asked if their suit zipped partially of completely together.

I have to agree with this one, at least for the full circle zippers. I've now got some Rev'It gear that zips together, and when I occasionally forget to zip them, I notice a lot more air movement around my waist, especially if the weather is cool.

I use Rukka Airpower gear (Jacket and Pants).

Don't short change yourself without checking into this stuff first.

I have used it in all weather conditions and temperatures and have nothing but praise for it.

George Brown

Welcome to the board Ryan!

For the past 5 years including round trip to Oregon in July '01, a SS100 in Aug. '05 and several other multiple day trips at various times of the year, I've used:

- Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. They are goretex lined and I don't carry raingear. So far they have kept me dry enough. I also have their trick three finger overgloves and over boots which both work well enough for me in rain. I have a few multiple day rides in rain.

Jacket: In warm weather I just wear a cottom tee shirt under it. I have considered trying one of the super wicking fabrics but they don't flatter my figure. The jacket is pretty well vented and you can unzip it from the bottom as well as the top like a car coat. For the cooler months, I have the Darien removable jacket liner which is 200 weight feece and works well down to the twenties with some layering under it.

Pants: In the warm season, I just wear cool max briefs which do not have any seams under them. They have full zippers on the outside of the legs like chaps and can be unzipped from both the top and bottom. Often when it is brutely hot, I will open up the lower portions. If I think I will be taking the Darian pants off sometime during the day, I will add a pair of shorts under them. Ususally, I don't 'cause shorts don't look that cool with boots on. As the weather cools I will layer under the pants with long johns, jeans or khakis.

The Darien suit coupled with a full face helmet, an adjustable windshield and the RT's great fairing, allows me to keep going in rain until it gets hard enough to put the overgloves and/or overboots on. Sure beats scrambling for an underpass at the first rain drop and doing the raingear geton dance with semi's passing at 65 plus.

- Boots: I have a pair of Corbin Tall Roadmasters left over from my HD days. They are about 15 years old and are great because they have replaceable vibram soles and heals. They are comfortable to walk in and wear all day, which I often did when I used the bike for commuting. I need to replace them and will be looking for some suggestions if I decide to go the goretex lined route.

- Socks: When touring I wear smart wool socks summer and winter. In my USMC days we wore wool socks year round and I found them quite comfortable in warm weather. In the cooler months, I will sometimes wear a dress sock under the smart wools.

- Underwear: I mentioned cool max briefs. My long johns are also a thin superwicking fabric, purchased at EMS.

Speaking of EMS, I have found that anyone who sells to backpackers usually has great gear to wear under riding suits. In fact, I also have a pair of synethic khakis with zipoff legs for under my Darien.

- Gloves: Gloves have been a somewhat frustrating exercize for me. At least for spring, fall and winter use. I had a pair noname deerskin fully perforated summer gloves that I used for years. I had a getoff with my HD with these gloves on. After sliding along the blacktop for about 120 feet by hands were burning. The gloves had numerous little stones embedded in them. I was afraid to remove them for fear of what my hands would look like. When I did, I found absolutely no damage to my skin. Zip, zero, nano! These eventually wore out and I replaced them with a pair of HD summer gloves which are perforated on the backs but not the palms. They have some padding in them and are pretty comfortable. Winter gloves were a little more difficult for me to purchase. The first pair were so stiff that I was never comfortable in them. I finally bought a pair of HD goretex lined winter gloves which have been great. When it is really cold, I will wear thin knit gloves inside them. Comfortable spring/fall gloves were the most difficult for me to find. I must have 5 or 6 pairs. A couple years ago I purchased a pair of Held gloves which have deerskin (I believe) palms and palm side fingers and cowskin backs along with some ballastics. They are extremely comfortable and I sincerely recommend that you consider them. For summer and winter weight gloves I would check out what HD has to offer.

Lastly, most of my riding gear ideas have come from this board. But then so do my beer and whisky selections, music selections, coffee making selections, farkle seclections and just about anything else I'm thinking about selections.

Sorry for the long-winded answer.

Again welcome to the board and best wishes!

GearedForACure

Thanks to everyone for your input, this is exactly what I was looking for, a good consensus, of what people find is good enough, good, and over the top.

I know where to find the BMW stuff locally (the BMW dealer of course), but does anyone know of any other places to look for the other brands? Are any of these companies broad companies that produce other outerwear that I may be able to find at an outdoors store?

I will be checking out what our local BMW shop has this weekend during our 55 degree weather here in omaha...that may not sound all that great to you southerners, but this is truly a heat wave here.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

LandonBlueRT

Thanks!

Selecting riding gear is indeed a personal preference thing. Some want to make a statement fashion wise or otherwise. I fall in the catagory of those riders looking for functional gear at a reasonable price. I wear a Motoport Canyon 11 Jaclet and Motoport Voyager AX overpants. I find them both to be of good quality and reasonably priced. The pants can be put on/off with boots on which is important to me. A lot of the more fashionable suits don't offer this convenience. The jacket looks reasonably good and for the money about as good as you can get in my opinion.

Also the convenience of buying online www.motoport.com.

ShovelStrokeEd

Forget the outdoor store. You are riding a motorcycle and motorcycle specific gear is your best bet, even if it is overpriced for what appears to be the same function. Watching your cheapo camo rain suit fly apart at 65 mph in a torrential downpour is not an experience you will want to repeat.

I outlined all the gear I use earlier. I would have to say that out of all that, the most versitle system is the Airflow suit with the Klima Komfort rain suit. The rain suit can be worn as a wind stopper outer garment and, with the Gerbings stuff is basically all you need. Add Oxtars and a set of Helds and the BMW summer rains and you are done. You may also no longer be able to afford the big trip frown.gif. We are talking nearly 1.5 grand for all that gear and we still don't have a helmet. That said, I can do 90% of the 40-50K miles a year I put on with only that kit.

George Brown

Ryan: “… but does anyone know of any other places to look for the other brands? Are any of these companies broad companies that produce other outerwear that I may be able to find at an outdoors store?”

Ed: “Forget the outdoor store. You are riding a motorcycle and motorcycle specific gear is your best bet, even if it is overpriced for what appears to be the same function.”

I agree with Ed regarding an outdoor store for outerwear. However, I have found that they are a good source for lightweight easy to pack underwear, socks and inner wear.

Information for most of the gear mentioned on this post is available on line. From the manufacturers website you should be able to find dealers that may be close to you - Easy for me who lives between NYC and Phila. to say.

Perhaps you can get to the Cycle World Motorcycle show http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=12&page_number=2 in Chicago or Denver. I try to get to one every couple years primarily to look at gear. Bikes I can see at the dealers. Also, often you can get show discounts on gear.

If you contact Aerostitch ask them to send you a catalog. They have a lot of interesting doodads for the touring rider. Often you can get the same items elsewhere but its a good condensed catalog to help you plan.

. Some want to make a statement fashion wise or otherwise. I fall in the catagory of those riders looking for functional gear at a reasonable price. I wear a Motoport Canyon 11 Jaclet and Motoport Voyager AX overpants. I find them both to be of good quality and reasonably priced.

Also the convenience of buying online www.motoport.com.

Personally, I'm into the fashion thing. Now that's it's cooled off, I'm planning to start wearing my one piece Roadcrafter to parties. Also recently, I was considering buying a Harley as a second bike, so I visited several HD dealers while wearing my blue Stich and my Schuberth S1. Were they ever impressed!

Question about the motoport gear - posters in the past have made comments about not-so-good customer service there. I take it those who have recommended Motoport above have had better experience there? Also, last time I was looking at it, Motoport's web site was kind of a mess - among other things, the photo links didn't work right at all. I was put off because riding gear may have to be returned for fitting. Bad service is, well, bad service, and if they don't even pay attention to the information given prospective customers on the web... Also, the wait for gear from them was at least three months when I called.

On the other hand, the customer service at Rider Wearhouse and Newenough.com makes me want to send them Christmas gifts.

And I got a custom made Stich in a week. thumbsup.gif

Most of the manufactorers will have a dealer list on their website. I seen Hein Greckie and Marsee at a lot of BMW stores and other M/C shops. For online check out sites like:

newenough.com and motorcyclecloseouts.com I think you'll be fine with pretty much any motorcycle specific clothing. I've found the stuff I have will do me for anything from riding in California in July or Virginia in summer to Oregon in the winter. As long as you buy a jacket with a nice liner and it has plenty of vents (arms,pits,shoulder area) you should be pretty good.

Chris

If money is no problem and they fit your body

Rukka APR3 jacket and pants

Sidi Thunder Sympatex boots

Held gloves with carbon fiber knuckles

GearedForACure

Ed may have misunderstood...I know there are going to be some manufacturers out there that make other gear as well as motorcycle gear, and thought that if any of them exist, I may be able to find a way to try on say their outdoor coats to get the size right, then order through that particular store.

I know that I need to get moto-specific gear, thats not a question.

Money is an object, I cant drop $1500 on clothes, I only spent $4800 on the bike. At the same time, I want to be sure that I am getting the best value. I would rather pay $1000 for the best than pay $600 for crap.

I am going to go to BMW Motorcycles of Omaha on Saturday and check out their gear, maybe they will have the savanna on clearance as suggested. I havent really cared for this dealer in the past, but really, its my only option for physical goods.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

ShovelStrokeEd

I did misunderstand but I doubt you'll find much crossover into the camping world.

The key to 'good' gear is the combination of safety and comfort. Unfortunately this can often mean a higher price. It is the cost of doing business here. CE armour, heavy textile or leather, Goretex all add to price.

At a step lower in price point from the BMW stuff you can still find some pretty nice gear from makers like Marsee, First Gear or Heine Gerricke (I mentioned that I got 20 years out of my one jacket and it's still serviceable) This stuff still isn't cheap. Check out places like NewEnough, you can often find quality gear at reduced prices as models are dropped from the current lines. The Airflow stuff is one of these, as is the Savannah.

You can come close to your $1000 top end and still have near the best. An Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, Oxtar boots, Held gloves will put your right there and a little over to add some rain gloves. You can substitue layers for electrics right now and upgrade later if you find the long distance/all weather thing to your liking.

Keep in mind, my recommendations are based on the type of riding I do. Long and hard with very little compromise for weather and none on safety. I take at least 6 trips a year where I leave at O'dark 30 on Saturday and have to be somewhere 2000 or more miles away on Monday night. Shoot, I went 1400 miles this past weekend to pick up a Givi wing rack for my 'Bird and have dinner with Marty Hill, 80 degrees in Florida, 38 in Atlanta, heavy rain on the way home, the outfit I described above (with the Gerbings) handled it all.

I've been researching riding gear for a couple months. By this spring I’d like to have a new set-up. I have a couple requirements. I’m 6’4”, 195 lbs. and can be hard to fit. I want something that I can wear into a diner and not look like a freak. I spend more time in the extreme hot versus extreme cold. Here’s what I’m planning on:

Jacket: BMW Santiago, not yet purchased but I need to replace my well worn First Gear Kilimanjaro. The BMW jacket looks top notch and fits well, and is more suited for the heat versus a Stitch. This will be coupled with my electric vest and Class III rain-jacket.

Pants: Motoport Kevlar Street Pants, not yet purchased. It is custom made (I’m hard to fit), is styled like jeans, material is abrasion proof/restive and suited for the heat. I can wear my tall First Gear overpants on cold days and my rain pants.

Gloves: I like my First Gear heavy gloves for the cold and Alpine Star summer gloves, but plan to add a pair of the Held Street Gloves, (try newenough.com). I also want to check out the BMW Airflow Mesh.

Boots: I have a pair of Alpine Stars that I like for now.

Just waiting for the bonus check... clap.gif

LandonBlueRT

"Question about the motoport gear - posters in the past have made comments about not-so-good customer service there."

I have never purchased custom gear from Motoport and have had no dealings with customer service there. I have read on this board that it stinks. I tried the stich one-piece and two-piece and simply didn't like either and returned them. I don't question their quality or the quality of Rider Wearhouse customer service, both are, of course, top notch. I just feel that I can get good stuff at lower cost.

Forget the outdoor store. You are riding a motorcycle and motorcycle specific gear is your best bet, even if it is overpriced for what appears to be the same function. Watching your cheapo camo rain suit fly apart at 65 mph in a torrential downpour is not an experience you will want to repeat.

It seems yer misunderstanding the statment yer responding to. (or I am) The poster of the bit o' wisdom of looking in outdoor store is for liners/wicking layers NOT outerwear. I have a further clarification of his post. Don't just go to outdoors stores, go to bicycle shops too. The bicycle stuff's cut for the riding posture: longer arms and longer in the rear torso area.

I outlined all the gear I use earlier. I would have to say that out of all that, the most versitle system is the Airflow suit with the Klima Komfort rain suit. The rain suit can be worn as a wind stopper outer garment and, with the Gerbings stuff is basically all you need. Add Oxtars and a set of Helds and the BMW summer rains and you are done. You may also no longer be able to afford the big trip frown.gif. We are talking nearly 1.5 grand for all that gear and we still don't have a helmet. That said, I can do 90% of the 40-50K miles a year I put on with only that kit.

I just bought myself a Kilimanjaro 2 to replace the Tourmaster I got for cheep to go to DVD IX. The Tourmaster stuff kept me warm and more of less dry in temps down to the 30s.

Got a pair of the Aerostitch Elkskin gauntlets for Christmas. I haven't worn em yet 'cause its been warm enough to keep on my mesh gloves. I'll let y'all know how they do.

To the OP: check the classifieds here, www.advrider.com, sport-touring.net, and a few other places. There's ALWAYS someone trading gear and selling their old stuff for less than new. That's how I got my Tourmaster jacket and pants for $150! Good to start with till you figure out what you do and do not like. If you insist on new, check out www.motorcyclecloseouts.com and www.newenough.com too. Last year's colors don't mean diddly when yer sliding down the road. What DOES matter is that yer protected.

HTH,

M

George Brown
I have a further clarification of his post. Don't just go to outdoors stores, go to bicycle shops too. The bicycle stuff's cut for the riding posture: longer arms and longer in the rear torso area.

Good add, Mike! I forgot to mention the padded bicycle shorts for long trips. Got mine through Riders Warehouse.

To OP: BMWMOA Owners News usually has some used clothing ads in their classifieds. On your budget, I would focus on a good helmet, jacket, boots and gloves then move on to riding suits. One nice thing about the Darien is it can be purchased in pieces.

I've been using the following, with great success for the past 15 years..

Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece

gerbing heated jacket liner, gloves

Works well up to the low 90's depending on humidity.. Anything over that I wear a Vent Tech leather jacket that flows air well.

...I know there are going to be some manufacturers out there that make other gear as well as motorcycle gear, and thought that if any of them exist, I may be able to find a way to try on say their outdoor coats to get the size right, then order through that particular store

Riding gear fits differently than camping gear. Sleeves are made longer so they reach your wrist when stretching to the handlebars. Pants are longer so they don't ride up when you straddle the seat and bend your knees. Armor take up room in the shoulders, arms, hip and knees.

I would recommend going to large dealership, not necessarily BMW, and trying on different manufacturer clothing. Decide on the style you want, whether it be a short sport jacket or a longer touring jacket and determine what size fits better. You can always check out EBAY and/or the BMW classifieds here and www.ibmwr.org marketplace to pick up gear at a better price. EBAY has dealerships that sell new gear and I've had luck buying new Belstaff pants from them as well as gloves.

Unless you narrow down your search regarding the "style", the level of protection you want, color and other personal perferences as well as price, you will be overwhelmed with the variety of gear available.

Good luck......if you were a gal I'd tell you to come shopping in my basement. I have a mini-store down there of gear that I don't use for one reason or the other. When we got back into riding after a hiatus we were very impulsive with our gear purchases. We didn't research and didn't have any idea the level and variety of gear that was available. I didn't do what I am recommending you do and we wasted a lot of money on gear that just didn't work for us. Men's gear is a snap to sell on the classifieds and we've sold most of the gear my husband evolved out of. Women's gear is another story especially women's riding clothing that is not size 8, leather and fringed so most of it is in my basement. Gloves, boots, jackets, pants...UCK!!

Does anyone know if I can donate these to MSF perhaps so they can give it to new riders?

Question about the motoport gear - posters in the past have made comments about not-so-good customer service there. I take it those who have recommended Motoport above have had better experience there? Also, last time I was looking at it, Motoport's web site was kind of a mess - among other things, the photo links didn't work right at all. I was put off because riding gear may have to be returned for fitting. Bad service is, well, bad service, and if they don't even pay attention to the information given prospective customers on the web... Also, the wait for gear from them was at least three months when I called.

I noticed that their retail store in Escondido closed a few months back. They still had the same address listed on their web site for quite a while. Now I can't find any street address on their website. Oh, BTW, they changed their name to "Cycleport" a few years back.

Archived