IGNORED

Avon Storm Tires

Retired At LAst

Retired At LAst

Now that I am in Florida I am thinking of putting on Avon Storms vs the Pilot roads I have always used.

No turns or curves down here so I think the Avons will last longer.

Any thoughts? Remember we do get a lot of rain down here

Thanks

My Storms were great in the twisties but did not wear well, and the center of the tread went first...

My PR2's are getting at least 1.5-2.0 times the wear.

I got good wear out of a set of Avon Storms on my RS and replaced them with Avon Storm Ultras. Those did not do half as well as the first set. The front cupped and rear was worn out at half the mileage. I replaced those with PR3's and would not now recommend the storms.

Ewell

faster pastor

I have had great experiences with Avons, so I,m putting some Storms on my RT. We don't have the heat up here in Canada that you have in the South so our tires last longer, not to mention our skillful Canadian ridng. Tire pressure is also critical. I;m taking off Pirelli Angels..pretty nasty wear on them..

Lone_RT_rider
Now that I am in Florida I am thinking of putting on Avon Storms vs the Pilot roads I have always used.

No turns or curves down here so I think the Avons will last longer.

Any thoughts? Remember we do get a lot of rain down here

Thanks

When I only had my R1100RT I was a huge user of Avon tires. I averaged about 5-6K with heavy cornering usage. For me and my aggressive riding style, that's reasonably mileage. Then, I purchased my R1200RT with 20 more HP than my R11RT. I tend to use all of the extra HP when I ride and that showed up instantly in the form of tire wear. The first Avon I fitted to my R12RT lasted 3500 miles (rear). I have since switched to PR3's. They have been lasting about 6-7K on the R12RT. They are pretty good in the rain as well. I would recommend for longevity and rain abilities that you stick with the PR3's.

Shawn

Metzeler ME880's for slab riding :thumbsup:

Best mileage I got on tires was 10k on the rears when we lived in IL, similar flat and boring like FL.

Judging all of Florida as flat and boring is incorrect.

Sort of like saying all men are as handsome/UNhandsome as

the average BMWSTer...

:wave:

But you are right, for many the 880 does the trick.

I'm debating PR3/Metzler Z8 for replacing the Z6's.

Running Dunlop Road now (free to evaluate from dist) but will not put those back on the GT.

Or you could compromise like I did using an ME880 on the rear and a Z6 on the front. I still get 10-12k on a set and the handling is better than using an ME880 on the front.

Good idea, but doesn't come in rear size for GT.

I know I can get "close" but not sure I want to do so.

The ME880 doesn't come in the 180/55 size that's standard on the R1200RT but, at least on the RT, a 170/60 works fine. Between my 07 and my current 11 R1200RT, I've probably gone through about 10 sets and I'm very happy with the result.

Archived